Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 03:07 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,130,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I am not living better then I was 50 years ago.

My environment is polluted.
My food is unhealthy and filled with man made crap.
My body is filled with the chemical residue from what the corporations put out.
Animals are becoming extinct.
The ozone is disappearing.
The climate is changing.

And the worst of it is not enough people care so I fear when we have decimated our planet we will be the last to die out.
Rather a pessimistic post.

How is your environment polluted? Mine is not.

My food is healthy with no additives...You have a choice...Buy organic.

We all have some elements in our bodies that shouldn't be there, but if your body was filled with them, you would be dead.

Animals have always been going extinct, but others evolve to fill the niche they vacate..Chances are one day we will join them.

Actually since the ban on CFCs the ozone layer is expanding.

The climate is always changing...Nothing we can do about that except adapt.

We may die off, but the planet will endure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 04:00 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,585 times
One of the many philosophies of Native Americans is the fifth philosophy,The Philosophy of Mother Earth. It goes like this; Our Mother Earth is the source of all life, whether it be plants, the two-legged, four-legged, winged ones or human beings. The Mother Earth is the greatest teacher, if we listen, observe and respect her. When we live in harmony with Mother Earth, she will recycle the things we consume and make them available to our children. As a Native American, I must teach my children how to care for the Earth so it is there for the future generations.
So from now on.
I realize the Earth is our Mother. I will treat her with honor and respect.
I will honor the interconnectedness of all things and all forms of life.
I will realize the Earth does not belong to us, but that we belong to the Earth.
The natural law is the ultimate authority upon the lands and water. I will learn the knowledge and wisdom of the natural laws. I will pass this knowledge on to my children.
The Mother Earth is a living entity that maintains life. I will speak out in a good way whenever I see someone abusing the Earth. Just as I would protect my own mother, so I will protect the Earth. I will ensure that the land, water, and air will be intact for my children and for my children's children-the unborn.

This is one of the many philosophy of the Native Americans and maybe this is what we need to get back to. We have our modern conveniences and we enjoy them, but we do not think how these things are produced and maybe we should take a better look at that. We have become a nation of disposable items and in the long run it could become our downfall, think about the next item that you really want and think, do I really need it.

sanspeur, I know of the area that Jazzymom resides in and yes it is as she says but also what she fails to mention is the noise in that area, it is in one of the most congested areas of the east coast and that is one of the reasons why many years ago I decided not to reside in that area anymore and now reside in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains where the air is much cleaner and there is far less traffic and the only noise is that of nature.

There is an old native proverb that goes like this;
Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:03 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Rather a pessimistic post.

How is your environment polluted? Mine is not.

My food is healthy with no additives...You have a choice...Buy organic.

We all have some elements in our bodies that shouldn't be there, but if your body was filled with them, you would be dead.

Animals have always been going extinct, but others evolve to fill the niche they vacate..Chances are one day we will join them.

Actually since the ban on CFCs the ozone layer is expanding.

The climate is always changing...Nothing we can do about that except adapt.

We may die off, but the planet will endure.

Much we do have a choice in and in those areas I make the better choices.

Much we don't have a choice in.

What Ptsum says is pure wisdom!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
One of the many philosophies of Native Americans is the fifth philosophy,The Philosophy of Mother Earth. It goes like this; Our Mother Earth is the source of all life, whether it be plants, the two-legged, four-legged, winged ones or human beings. The Mother Earth is the greatest teacher, if we listen, observe and respect her. When we live in harmony with Mother Earth, she will recycle the things we consume and make them available to our children. As a Native American, I must teach my children how to care for the Earth so it is there for the future generations.
So from now on.
I realize the Earth is our Mother. I will treat her with honor and respect.
I will honor the interconnectedness of all things and all forms of life.
I will realize the Earth does not belong to us, but that we belong to the Earth.
The natural law is the ultimate authority upon the lands and water. I will learn the knowledge and wisdom of the natural laws. I will pass this knowledge on to my children.
The Mother Earth is a living entity that maintains life. I will speak out in a good way whenever I see someone abusing the Earth. Just as I would protect my own mother, so I will protect the Earth. I will ensure that the land, water, and air will be intact for my children and for my children's children-the unborn.

This is one of the many philosophy of the Native Americans and maybe this is what we need to get back to. We have our modern conveniences and we enjoy them, but we do not think how these things are produced and maybe we should take a better look at that. We have become a nation of disposable items and in the long run it could become our downfall, think about the next item that you really want and think, do I really need it.

sanspeur, I know of the area that Jazzymom resides in and yes it is as she says but also what she fails to mention is the noise in that area, it is in one of the most congested areas of the east coast and that is one of the reasons why many years ago I decided not to reside in that area anymore and now reside in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains where the air is much cleaner and there is far less traffic and the only noise is that of nature.

There is an old native proverb that goes like this;
Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.
I couldn't have said it better and one day I will return to Southwest Virginia to my mountains, and have a house in the country with a creek running by and a rocking chair outside.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Much we do have a choice in and in those areas I make the better choices.

Much we don't have a choice in.

What Ptsum says is pure wisdom!
I agree...It is wise. I'm sorry that I didn't take into account where you live. I guess I am lucky that I live in an area where there are no factories, refineries or other polluters, except for cars, buses and trucks...Even those are becoming cleaner as there are many hybrid vehicles used here now. I am surrounded by the Pacific ocean and the air is clear and fresh, but I have chosen to live here long ago...I left the noise and smoke of southern Ontario in 1967, and moved to the island, as I was lucky enough to have the skills to get work anywhere I chose.

I have never enjoyed working or living in large cities, and unfortunately Victoria's population is growing rapidly, and I will eventually move to a smaller town.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:19 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

Yes we are better off, not only that, but we are better informed. (hence the fear) That is why you didn't worry about being killed or molested as a kid...There were as many killers and perverts around then as there are now, perhaps even more....Consider yourself lucky.
Society is more fearful today than in 1960. I don't see that as a plus-as a matter of fact it has caused people to not trust, to not connect and hide behind walls.

If, as you say it, was no safer 50 years ago, then we have lost much to fear. Today, nobody lets their kid take the bus alone, not because it is inherently unsafe, but because they have fear. At least from your line of thinking.

The quantity of life is better, but the quality is worse.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Society is more fearful today than in 1960. I don't see that as a plus-as a matter of fact it has caused people to not trust, to not connect and hide behind walls.

If, as you say it, was no safer 50 years ago, then we have lost much to fear. Today, nobody lets their kid take the bus alone, not because it is inherently unsafe, but because they have fear. At least from your line of thinking.

The quantity of life is better, but the quality is worse.
For once I agree with you...I think today's paranoia can mostly be blamed on the news media...If it isn't bad news, then it isn't worth reporting, seems to be their motto in most cases...I used to walk two miles to school when I was a kid, starting at six years old...Now, if the kids don't live in fear, many parents certainly do.

Regarding the quality of life, I guess that depends a lot on where you live. There are many places that I would not walk alone, let alone allow my kids to. Even here in Victoria I don't consider the downtown area very safe at night...Too many druggies are nocturnal.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Here ^^^ is wisdom.

To many people equate stuff with happiness.

Let me ask a simple question. Think of that cool item. By "that" I mean that new phone, cool piece of clothing, new car Christmas present. How long did the "happiness" last? A week? A month? Three days?

Now look at the things money can't buy. On the way to work I was experienceing the joy of early morning-the sunrise, mists in the forest. Then I think of my relationships and such.

Are we better off today than in 1960? As stated above only materially-When I was a 9 year old kid living in San Francisco, I'd take the bus across town--by myself. And I never got killed or molested. Today, urban parents won't let their kids play outside out of fear. But at least they have their Iphone and Ipods.
I used to think like you do. I would wave my 18k a year annual income around like a flag and look down my nose at people who did not likewise suffer the bonds of frugality. I was raised to believe that people with money are bad, wasteful, ungrateful, etc., etc., Being poor was noble. Being poor was good. Rich people were bast-hards.

Then one day I read a book about prosperity. It made so much sense. We are meant to be prosperous. We are meant to enjoy all of the vulgar delights that this world has to offer.

Feeling superior because you refuse to participate in the ritual of consumerism may make you feel good about yourself, and that is fine for YOU. But you should not foist your values on other people and think badly of them simply because they choose to buy things that they enjoy. If you do, it will make you bitter and filled with hate.

I am still frugal out of necessity because wages suck where I live. However, I do not begrudge anyone their right to enjoy spending and buying if they receive some enjoyment (even fleeting) from it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-20-2010, 09:21 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I used to think like you do. I would wave my 18k a year annual income around like a flag and look down my nose at people who did not likewise suffer the bonds of frugality. I was raised to believe that people with money are bad, wasteful, ungrateful, etc., etc., Being poor was noble. Being poor was good. Rich people were bast-hards.

Then one day I read a book about prosperity. It made so much sense. We are meant to be prosperous. We are meant to enjoy all of the vulgar delights that this world has to offer.

Feeling superior because you refuse to participate in the ritual of consumerism may make you feel good about yourself, and that is fine for YOU. But you should not foist your values on other people and think badly of them simply because they choose to buy things that they enjoy. If you do, it will make you bitter and filled with hate.

I am still frugal out of necessity because wages suck where I live. However, I do not begrudge anyone their right to enjoy spending and buying if they receive some enjoyment (even fleeting) from it.

20yrsinBranson
What you might find ironic is My wife is an attorney and I am employed by the government. I'll let you do the math as to our income. We do our share of consumerism. But it is on a moderate level.

Example:When we bought our house, we went for a smaller house that would meet our needs instead of the biggest house we could afford. My wife wanted to get a flat screen TV, so we got a good quality 40 inch LCD TV instead of a 60 inch Plasma. We do consumerism on this level, not because we can't afford the 60 inch TV or the big house, but because it makes more sense and it is easier on the planet.

Seeking happiness thru stuff is not where it is at for me or my wife.

I never thought being poor was noble. I was raised uppermiddle class and have seen the emptiness of seeking stuff. I am far more satisfied by connecting with people and the land where I live.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Did your dad earn more than you are?
No, I earn more. That detail was in my post.

Quote:
Did he live in a lower cost location?
Of course! Everyplace in the 60's was lower cost than it is now. Taking differences in the economies into play, no, we are both about equal, except that I rent where my dad owned.

Quote:
Maybe this
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
I could never put two kids through college, buy a house, and raise that family on what I am currently earning.
is because of things like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
We have the Internet now
and HDTV with cable/sat dishes
Yup ... could have a lot to do with it, but that's only a part. Fact is ... EVERYTHING costs more these days, and has a much higher impact on the world in general. Everything is disposable and "easy". How is THAT affecting our landfills? Our oceans are becoming our cesspools ... Look at the island of garbage floating around in the Pacific. Look on any beach - ANYWHERE in the world ... and you will find plastic bottles, styrofoam, and garbage.

As stated in the post to which you replied ... I now have more stress, and more fear for the future, than I EVER did back then. So, agreeing with Goodpasture, No, I DON'T feel I'm living better than 50 years ago. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality