Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:41 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank316 View Post
Jesus can lie because he's the Son of God. God doesn't have to be fair. Like any parent it's do as he says, not as he does. Duh. He defined what sin was, so basically he can't have sin, all he can do is tell you why you're such a disaster. And if you don't accept him as the son of God your unconditionally loving God will burn you for an eternity for failing to fully grasp some ridiculously cryptic to begin with, mistranslation riddled instruction book dating back a minimum of 1900 years, and up to 2500 years in some places.

If that doesn't sound fair to you, then I hope you enjoy your seat in hell, because that's where you're going. I of course will be in heaven praising Jesus from my mansion in New Jerusalem because that doesn't sound like eternal torment at all......

Disclaimer: There is too much irony contained herein for anyone to even attempt to take this post seriously, so do not try.
Spank....we can joke about this because we know better....but there are millions who actually believe this nonsense to be true...literally true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 PM

223 posts, read 268,969 times
That's the frightening part sadly. Personally, I don't think the Bible is a bad book. In fact, a lot of it is positive and relevant. I even identify as a Christian to an extent. Many of his teachings were very pertinent and make some amazing points about living well, charitable nature, and love, all of which is a very important message. The problem is, when people want to put it in the box as the completely unabridged, irrefutable word of God. Clearly, and historically it is not that, and it can never be that, and it never was that, even according to the original authors of the texts. This is the foundation of fundamentalist Christianity, and ironically it's the most impossible to justify scripturally. (The passages relating to it as a tenant are woefully inadequate and worse than that, often apparently referring to books written 500 years later than they were as being part of the scripture.) Not to mention why on earth a series of angry letters written by church leaders suddenly became the Word of God.

Not to mention the laughable interpretation of, "In the Beginning, there was the Word, and the Word was God" by Christianity. It's a Jewish idea, and the idea is that God was a word. Literally. The name of God spoken aloud is the sound of creation, and if written correctly could unmake the world. Massively simplifying for space here, the Hebrew alphabet is considered sacred and intrinsic to creation, and the word itself has power. God literally thought the universe into existance as a series of emenations from Ein Soph through four Hebrew Characters, (the tetragrammaton YHWH). Obviously there were other eminations of the divine and thus further names for God. Baiscally out of infinite nothingness came the sound of the tetragrammaton spoken correctly as a creative entity thought itself into existance from an infinite and ungraspable nothingness (also part of God for the record) and thus there was the Word first.

My point is, when Judaism talks about the Word, they literally mean the Word i.e. God, i.e. that is the word spoken by him that created him as an emination of divine from infinite nothingness and that formed the universe. It does not mean that the writings in the book are the Word of God, it means that God, literally, is a Word. Unfortunately because modern Christianity took the word 'Word' in this context to mean literally the word 'word' in Modern English terms it lead to an absolutely absurd and undefendable position that the Bible is in fact the 'Word', (which as you can see from the correct context is absurd to say the least and a complete heresy of what is actually referred to in ancient Jewish texts). Basically its ridiculous, but is the founding example of modern English translations of ancient texts giving rise to absolute insanity based on a niaive view of cultural connetations (i.e. the meaning of the word 'word') of ancient and mystical beliefsets.

Last edited by Spank316; 09-30-2010 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: to try and more clearly express in a short number of words an infathomably complex subject area.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank316 View Post
That's the frightening part sadly. Personally, I don't think the Bible is a bad book. In fact, a lot of it is positive and relevant. I even identify as a Christian to an extent. Many of his teachings were very pertinent and make some amazing points about living well, charitable nature, and love, all of which is a very important message. The problem is, when people want to put it in the box as the completely unabridged, irrefutable word of God. Clearly, and historically it is not that, and it can never be that, and it never was that, even according to the original authors of the texts. This is the foundation of fundamentalist Christianity, and ironically it's the most impossible to justify scripturally. (The passages relating to it as a tenant are woefully inadequate and worse than that, often apparently referring to books written 500 years later than they were as being part of the scripture.) Not to mention why on earth a series of angry letters written by church leaders suddenly became the Word of God.

Not to mention the laughable interpretation of, "In the Beginning, there was the Word, and the Word was God" by Christianity. It's a Jewish idea, and the idea is that God was a word. Literally. The name of God spoken aloud is the sound of creation, and if written correctly could unmake the world. Massively simplifying for space here, the Hebrew alphabet is considered sacred and intrinsic to creation, and the word itself has power. God literally thought the universe into existance as a series of emenations from Ein Soph through four Hebrew Characters, (the tetragrammaton YHWH). Obviously there were other eminations of the divine and thus further names for God. Baiscally out of infinite nothingness came the sound of the tetragrammaton spoken correctly as a creative entity thought itself into existance from an infinite and ungraspable nothingness (also part of God for the record) and thus there was the Word first.

My point is, when Judaism talks about the Word, they literally mean the Word i.e. God, i.e. that is the word spoken by him that created him as an emination of divine from infinite nothingness and that formed the universe. It does not mean that the writings in the book are the Word of God, it means that God, literally, is a Word. Unfortunately because modern Christianity took the word 'Word' in this context to mean literally the word 'word' in Modern English terms it lead to an absolutely absurd and undefendable position that the Bible is in fact the 'Word', (which as you can see from the correct context is absurd to say the least and a complete heresy of what is actually referred to in ancient Jewish texts). Basically its ridiculous, but is the founding example of modern English translations of ancient texts giving rise to absolute insanity based on a niaive view of cultural connetations (i.e. the meaning of the word 'word') of ancient and mystical beliefsets.
Hey I know exactly what the Hebrew bible meant by it. Unfortunately....the author of John took it upon himself/theirself to plagiarize the thoughts of Philo regarding the Word...and they ran with from there...making Jesus (the Word) God. Which as I showed earlier by the book of Revelation...would be impossible...but those little inconsistencies and contradictions are ignored by mainstream Christianity.

BTW....I am a deconverted Christian and claim to be fully Agnostic...cause it's OK to admit you just don't know a darn thing about THE SOURCE OF ALL THERE IS a.k.a God.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Honestly...I have found the entirety of NT to be nothing but BS
Look at the alleged genealogy. One claims Jesus is descended from David through his idiot son Solomon and the other says Jesus is descended from David through his son Nathan.

Of course the purpose is to alter Jesus to fit in to the myths so that people would accept that he is the "anointed one" and convert but they can't even get their stories straight, and that's just one of more than 300 contradictions.

Even a 1st year law student would rip Matthew, Mark, Luke and John on the witness stand so bad they'd be in tears and probably off themselves.

Try going through each gospel doing "blocking" (you know Jesus was in this town at this person's house or here or there at the market or whatever) and you'll see they had no idea what they're talking about. None of them can agree where he was at any given time.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Hey I know exactly what the Hebrew bible meant by it. Unfortunately....the author of John took it upon himself/theirself to plagiarize the thoughts of Philo regarding the Word...and they ran with from there...making Jesus (the Word) God. Which as I showed earlier by the book of Revelation...would be impossible...but those little inconsistencies and contradictions are ignored by mainstream Christianity.

BTW....I am a deconverted Christian and claim to be fully Agnostic...cause it's OK to admit you just don't know a darn thing about THE SOURCE OF ALL THERE IS a.k.a God.

Don't even get me started on the influence of Philo on the gospel. Much of its completely 'divinely inspired' attacks on homosexuality are word for word quotations of his works. The passages in Romans and Corinthians all are basically direct quotations of his works, and he wrote them before the Bible. So either he influenced the Gospels or God inspired him first, but his texts weren't considered good enough for the bible. Either way you can't have it both ways. Unless you're a fundamentalist Christian. Then you're awesome and can because that's how God rolls.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Look at the alleged genealogy. One claims Jesus is descended from David through his idiot son Solomon and the other says Jesus is descended from David through his son Nathan.

Of course the purpose is to alter Jesus to fit in to the myths so that people would accept that he is the "anointed one" and convert but they can't even get their stories straight, and that's just one of more than 300 contradictions.

Even a 1st year law student would rip Matthew, Mark, Luke and John on the witness stand so bad they'd be in tears and probably off themselves.

Try going through each gospel doing "blocking" (you know Jesus was in this town at this person's house or here or there at the market or whatever) and you'll see they had no idea what they're talking about. None of them can agree where he was at any given time.

Duh, he's the son of God. He can appear in several places at once.

If it's in the Bible it must be true even if it can't be because God changed the rules back then.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Been there and done....the better thing is to compare the Hebrew bible to the NT.....the inconsistencies and contradictions abound.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:10 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Well, We have no idea what Jesus really said, in fact some would say that we have no idea if he was even real. Whatever words were put into his mouth by the gospel writers was done so generations afterwards. So we do not know.

I have studied the Bible extensively, once in my younger years as a believer, later, as a scholar and mystic of sorts. Understanding the Bible is neccesary to understanding our contemporary mythology, as it influences so many people. But I can find no reasonable proof for accuracy in it, nor for any "devine inspiration" of it on any level.

So did Jesus lie? I doubt it, but did later writers? Well, technically, it is not a lie if they believed it, but it is not accurate or useful either, outide of a social-cultural mythology. Like Jesus Claiming to be a Messiah. Anyone who truly knew what the "Messiah" meant and implied, I doubt someone would truly believe that. Then again, there is a homeless guy in the neighboring town who told me that he is President Obama, so who knows ?

Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,973,476 times
Quote:
Honestly...I have found the entirety of NT to be nothing but BS and goes so far afield from OT that I can't understand how anyone can compare the two and say they harmonize. I honestly think there is very little included in the NT, if anything at all, that was actually said by a man named Jesus. The entire NT is basically a brand new religion that was instituted by none other than Paul himself...although I think he intended Jesus to be more in line with the pagan gods of the time, a cosmological Christ, he sure didn't turn out that way once the Roman Church got a hold of him.

The Scriptures existed long before the Roman chruch, and Jesus Christ fulfilled the 300 prophecies of the Old Testament. The Old Testament prophecies told us Jesus was coming. You would have to be a blind person not to see this. In the link below it shows us no less then seventy prophecies fulfilled by Jesus.

Prophecies of Jesus Christ as Messiah

Old 10-02-2010, 08:55 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,973,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Well, We have no idea what Jesus really said, in fact some would say that we have no idea if he was even real. Whatever words were put into his mouth by the gospel writers was done so generations afterwards. So we do not know.

I have studied the Bible extensively, once in my younger years as a believer, later, as a scholar and mystic of sorts. Understanding the Bible is neccesary to understanding our contemporary mythology, as it influences so many people. But I can find no reasonable proof for accuracy in it, nor for any "devine inspiration" of it on any level.

So did Jesus lie? I doubt it, but did later writers? Well, technically, it is not a lie if they believed it, but it is not accurate or useful either, outide of a social-cultural mythology. Like Jesus Claiming to be a Messiah. Anyone who truly knew what the "Messiah" meant and implied, I doubt someone would truly believe that. Then again, there is a homeless guy in the neighboring town who told me that he is President Obama, so who knows ?

Maybe if you considered the hundreds of prophecies Jesus fulfilled you would have reason to believe He was the Messiah. The Old Testament tells us the Messiah would be betrayed for 30 peices of silver, and would be rejected by the Jewish people. Everything about Christ life will be found first spoken of in the Old Testament. Consider the link below.

Prophecies of Jesus Christ as Messiah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality