Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:56 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,190,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Several years ago I met this dude, who was a new ager and he was telling me how we are all born divine, blah, blah, blah... and what I discovered about him... he was a total jerk. Not sure if he was the first new ager I ever met, but needless to say, it gave me a bad impression of them right off the bat.

Any religion that expounds things that are false... even if it makes you feel good, like with the new agers telling people they are divine within... this kind of thing where people believe it and have faith in it... this gives our minds an impression that all is well and we're cool and divine, etc., but our mind and our soul are two different creations... and it is our soul that is important here. At some point after we are gone from this planet and we are spirits, those false beliefs will surface, and they are going to have to be dealt with and be removed from our souls before we can progress... so it's best to know this before becoming so engrossed in an idea that's wrong.

"Men may believe and teach that within them is a part of the divine that will cause their souls to progress and develop until it reaches the condition of Divinity, that will make it a part of the Divinity of the Father, but in this they are all wrong, for while man was the highest creation of God, and the most perfect and made in His image, yet in man is no part of the divine, and having no part of the divine it is wholly impossible for him to progress to the possession of the divine. He, of himself, no matter what his development may be, can never become greater or more perfect, or of a higher nature than he was at his creation. The divine comes from above, and when once planted in a man's soul there can be no limit to its expansion and development, even in the celestial heavens."

http://tinyurl.com/2eqylo (http://tinyurl.com/2eqyloe - broken link)

Now when the new agers give up the idea that they are already divine, then I'll pay attention.
(http://tinyurl.com/2eqyloe - broken link)
Well, first of all, I'd say be careful not to judge a whole group of people based on just one person. There are jerks of every creed!
But I guess what I'm trying to understand - is that don't most Christians feel that their "way" is the only way? Don't you believe that all other religions are false? So - why does it matter if there is one more religion that you consider false? You might think that the divine comes from above, from God - but that is because of your beliefs. According to your religions - all other beliefs are false -so anyone that thinks differently from you believes something false. Which, again, begs the question - why does this particular "false" teaching upset you so much?
If people find peace and love in something - why is that so wrong? If it feels that it makes them better people - is that so bad? Or for that matter, is it so different than people that find peace and love in Buddhism, Islam, Hinduim, Judaism, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 12:02 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,943,965 times
I don't believe Oprah professes to be Christian. She grew up in a church,
she is 'friendly' with Christian leaders but she doesn't profess any religion.
I'm not clear how this video could be offensive especially if the speaker,
Oprah, isn't a Christian.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:37 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,204,174 times
I think Oprah is probably a Christian, but she has enough sense not to proclaim it on her show, retaining a bit of apparent objectivity. I don't really care whether she is or not. Why should it matter if she isn't proselytizing?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:36 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,360,500 times
Any well read or educated individual will question christianity. Why should she be any different? The real question for christians is why more of them aren’t recognizing the sheep mentality has no place in today’s world.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:39 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Who really cares? I like what she espouses a lot better than what I've heard come out of many Christian mouths.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,182 times
I think the reason why so many educated people question Christianity because they have to have a child like faith to grasp the consept that there is someone who created this world as humans we will never understand God completly and most humans find that to be an insult that our creator does not want us to understand him

Old 08-21-2010, 03:45 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,121,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Well, Sciota....check out the responses on this thread. It looks like the "One World Religion" is going to have folks lining up to join it. They will probably by knifing each other to get a place in the queue.

It probably won't even call itself a "religion" so even the non-theists will be eager to join up.

"I am God, you are God, everything is God...."

Love, Love, Love, Love is all you need.........lalalalalalalalala.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Well, Sciota....check out the responses on this thread. It looks like the "One World Religion" is going to have folks lining up to join it. They will probably by knifing each other to get a place in the queue.

It probably won't even call itself a "religion" so even the non-theists will be eager to join up.

"I am God, you are God, everything is God...."

Love, Love, Love, Love is all you need.........lalalalalalalalala.
I still don't understand why this particular religion angers you so much. Why would people be knifing each other? If anything - this religion seems to be preaching peace, love, meditation, inner reflection - nothing that bespeaks violence.
Why do you keep singing love is all you need - it seems that you are making fun of it. Why are you making fun of love?
It seems that all you want to do is make fun of this religion - and that's fine. It is your right to mock anything you please. But why don't you just go ahead and mock all other religions besides yours? I just don't understand why this one is getting special treatment.
And even if everyone joined this one religion - in this country we have freedom of religion - so you would still be free to belong to any religion you see fit. As for non-theists joining any organized religion - whether it calls itself a religion or not- I wouldn't hold your breath.
It sounds like you feel very threatened and are lashing out - I just can't figure out why? Aren't you confident in your own faith?

Old 08-21-2010, 04:57 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,121,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I still don't understand why this particular religion angers you so much. Why would people be knifing each other? If anything - this religion seems to be preaching peace, love, meditation, inner reflection - nothing that bespeaks violence.
Why do you keep singing love is all you need - it seems that you are making fun of it. Why are you making fun of love?
It seems that all you want to do is make fun of this religion - and that's fine. It is your right to mock anything you please. But why don't you just go ahead and mock all other religions besides yours? I just don't understand why this one is getting special treatment.
And even if everyone joined this one religion - in this country we have freedom of religion - so you would still be free to belong to any religion you see fit. As for non-theists joining any organized religion - whether it calls itself a religion or not- I wouldn't hold your breath.
It sounds like you feel very threatened and are lashing out - I just can't figure out why? Aren't you confident in your own faith?
Dewdrop,

I am very confident in my own faith, and I am by no means making fun of love. As Betsy explained on another thread, for everything of God's, Satan has a counterfeit.

The coming One World Religion will be a counterfeit religion that seeks to crush the monotheistic faiths -- Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. It will be imposed by a One World government.

As I stated earlier:

Quote:
There is a lot of information online about the coming One World Religion and much of it is disinformation. I don't endorse everything at this site, but I think this is a useful primer:

One World Religion

Moreover, Rich Peterson's exellent blog which focuses on the Alliance of Civilizations is extremely illuminating:

A Time, Times, and a Half a Time

As regards the question of whether people will abandon their religious beliefs to join it...many will do so freely; since it will be state-sponsored, those who refuse to do so (and I agree with you, the staunch traditionalists will refuse to go along) will face consequences.
To these links I would add Sarah Leslie's Herescope blog and of course, the gold standard work on this topic, "Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow" by Constance Cumbey. Warren Smith is another Christian writer who has done excellent work exposing the New Age infiltration. There are many others.

I realise you are not a monotheist, and as such it is not a direct threat to you. This thread is directed more at monotheists who read this forum--especially Christians who have not been able to put the pieces together in the hope they can recognize the apostasy that is creeping into so much of our culture, including many Christian churches.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Dewdrop,

I am very confident in my own faith, and I am by no means making fun of love. As Betsy explained on another thread, for everything of God's, Satan has a counterfeit.

The coming One World Religion will be a counterfeit religion that seeks to crush the monotheistic faiths -- Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. It will be imposed by a One World government.

As I stated earlier:

To these links I would add Sarah Leslie's Herescope blog and of course, the gold standard work on this topic, "Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow" by Constance Cumbey. Warren Smith is another Christian writer who has done excellent work exposing the New Age infiltration. There are many others.

I realise you are not a monotheist, and as such it is not a direct threat to you. This thread is directed more at monotheists who read this forum--especially Christians who have not been able to put the pieces together in the hope they can recognize the apostasy that is creeping into so much of our culture, including many Christian churches.
I don't think that this new religion is a threat to anyone. It's just a new belief system. If people are confident in their beliefs - it doesn't matter how many new beliefs pop up. And there isn't going to be a One World Goverment or any imposed religion. Just sounds like paranoid people trying to scare other paranoid people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality