Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:27 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,752,453 times

Advertisements

Luke 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

This passage was fulfilled in 1967 after Israel took over all of Jerusalem in the six-day war.
The times of the Gentiles began with the Apostle Paul's missionary work in the first century. Prior to this time God's ministry was preached mainly to the Jewish people.
We are the last generation of this earth.

Luke 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

This reading from Luke occurs after the signs and warnings Jesus gave of the end of the age and the prophecy of Jerusalem's return to Jewish control. Therefore the generation that will not pass away would seem to refer to the generation in place in 1967.
How long is a generation? Based on other bible passages it could be:
40 years - Numbers 32:13 And the LORD'S anger was kindled against Israel, and he made them wander in the wilderness forty years, until all the generation, that had done evil in the sight of the LORD, was consumed.
70 years - Psalm 90:10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
120 years - Genesis 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
This would put the end of this generation in the year 2007, 2037, or 2087.
Some biblical scholars feel that the generation that Jesus referred to was present when Israel became a nation. Therefore the end of this generation in this viewpoint could be 1988, 2018, or 2068.

Matthew 24:36-37 36But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. 37But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Remember know one except our father in heaven knows the exact date or hour of the rapture or tribulation. However, he allows us to see the signs and indications that his return is near. We must always be ready.. What are your thoughts on the above passage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,287,175 times
Default Yes

IMHO, yes.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,205,823 times
IMHO, I think that trying to get any exact date out of the Bible when it comes to the end times is pointless. Hundreds if not thousands have interpreted it hundreds and thousands of different ways, all them believing they were right, and all of them were-so far-wrong.

Christians forget that Jesus said "Behold, I come quickly" to people that died never seeing His return. His return could be right now, could be in 2000 more years. I will live each day as if it's my last, regardless, and I think that's the point.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:40 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,421,524 times
2 Peter 3:8-9 "But you must not forget dear friends, that a day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years like a day. The Lord isn't really being slow about His promise to return, as some think. No He is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to perish, so He is giving more time for everyone to repent."

God may seem slow to some especially unbelievers, but He is not on our timetable but His. We should live in eager expectation of His returning.

verse 14 "And so dear friends, while you are waiting for these things to happen make every effort to live a pure and blameless life. And be at peace with God.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:46 AM

117 posts, read 518,692 times
The passage in Luke is referring to when Jerusalem was sacked by the Romans and the temple was destroyed, and the remaining Jews were dispersed around the world. There are many other passages which refer to this.

It has nothing to do with modern Israel

Old 06-18-2007, 08:47 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,119,549 times
As we have seen in the past, many have tried to pinpoint the Lord's return, some even giving an exact date, and they end up looking silly when He doesn't appear.

The best we can do is be like the ten virgins and have our oil lamps ready, so to speak. Live our lives according to His Word with love and respect for others, preaching His Word all the while be watching and prepared.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:52 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,842,037 times
To: I Love North Carolina,

Amen.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:53 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,537,600 times
We are not to look for a sign..Nobody knows when Jesus will return, not even the Father. Only signs I look for are the signs of spring, because I don't like winter..When I was a kid I looked for those Burma Shave signs whenever we traveled

Old 06-18-2007, 10:59 AM

22,943 posts, read 28,335,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Luke 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

This passage was fulfilled in 1967 after Israel took over all of Jerusalem in the six-day war.
Actually, it was fulfilled in AD 70 when the Romans sacked Jerusalem.

Quote:
Luke 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.
And that generation was still around in AD 70.

Quote:
Remember know one except our father in heaven knows the exact date or hour of the rapture or tribulation. However, he allows us to see the signs and indications that his return is near. We must always be ready.. What are your thoughts on the above passage?
We are in “the last days,” certainly. But we have been in “the last days” since the Ascension of Jesus. The “last days” refers to the age of the Messiah.

Early Christians were expecting Christ to return literally any day. Any moment. We should follow their lead.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:01 AM

22,943 posts, read 28,335,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Aspie View Post
It has nothing to do with modern Israel
Absolutely 100% agreed. Modern day Israel has nothing to do with Biblical prophecy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality