Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 11:35 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times

Advertisements

I see this word get tossed around a lot. Just as it's dictionary definition would impy, it's used to describe someone who judges someone on the surface and strictly by their appearance.

So I'm curious where we draw the line at superficial and merely having a preference in someone's appearance.

I would say someone who is superficial cares only about outward appearance, giving little or no regard to the personality or inner qualities of someone. However, I see a lot of conflicting ideas about what constitutes superficial here.

Often I see folks refer to others as superficial merely because they have a preference for a woman with nice legs or big breasts. Or a man with washboard abs. Or because they wouldn't date someone who is going bald or too short. I find it somewhat narrow-minded that someone would call another superficial simply because they are being honest about who and what they are attracted to and dating within those boundaries. I'm sure a lot of people would consider me superficial because I wouldn't date someone who is morbidly obese, or because I have a certain "type" which I prefer. I don't consider myself shallow or superficial just because I would rule out a woman based on certain physical characteristics that I am not attracted to, after all we are typically drawn to one another based on initial attraction.

What are your thoughts? How do you define someone as superficial?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,538 times
If they're in politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
How do you define someone as superficial?

Old 03-29-2010, 11:40 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,179,531 times
What is one person's object of desire may be another's cast off so there's nothing wrong with preferences that attract you - they just do. It's when you stop there and do not go any further where you are being superficial. Superficial is that which is created only to live on the surface and be viewed on the surface. It's the reason for all the morning ritual preening that transpires by both men and women.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
Everyone has preferences when it comes to looks.

I think the superficial part comes in when a person is not willing to look beyond what is on the outside (or a degree, a nice car, money) and consider that there is something more to that person than just those things.

I think that's when love really comes in to play.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
superficial:

Someone who is lacking in a certain area and would like someone to appreciate them in another area so that they can fulfill their own superficial tastes.

Demonstrated by the phrase : "I wish the tall, successful, handsome man was not so superficial"

Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
superficial:

Someone who is lacking in a certain area and would like someone to appreciate them in another area so that they can fulfill their own superficial tastes.

Demonstrated by the phrase : "I wish the tall, successful, handsome man was not so superficial"
We have a winner. Somebody shut down this thread.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:37 PM

951 posts, read 1,810,842 times
Default How do YOU define Superficial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I see this word get tossed around a lot.

What are your thoughts? How do you define someone as superficial?
Attracted to what can be seen from accross the room or inferred by the actions of others.

Its how most people date now days. Its why a man with an attractive woman with him (as a ruse) will more likely get lucky.

I'm not necessarily saying this is all bad because for their children to have success in life, such attributes are becoming essential.

However, it rarely leads to a happy, healthy marriage. However, our society does need children to pay the taxes in the future.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:49 PM

252 posts, read 660,768 times
Superficial: When someone puts looks above all other traits a person has.

Because I like giving examples: Lets say you have two men/women. One is your perfect match (personality, intelligence, hard worker, interests, reliable, etc), but they have a physical trait you find undesirable (fat, mangled teeth, flat butt, missing an arm).

The other is your exact physical ideal, but they are full of character flaws that will constantly cause problems in the relationship.

Which one are you attracted to? If you pick #2, you are superficial.

If you can't imagine dating someone like #1 because of said flaw, you are superficial.

If you are embarrassed by the idea of even being associated with a person that is a #1, you are highly superficial.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:54 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude Kipz View Post
Superficial: When someone puts looks above all other traits a person has.

Because I like giving examples: Lets say you have two men/women. One is your perfect match (personality, intelligence, hard worker, interests, reliable, etc), but they have a physical trait you find undesirable (fat, mangled teeth, flat butt, missing an arm).

The other is your exact physical ideal, but they are full of character flaws that will constantly cause problems in the relationship.

Which one are you attracted to? If you pick #2, you are superficial.

If you can't imagine dating someone like #1 because of said flaw, you are superficial.

If you are embarrassed by the idea of even being associated with a person that is a #1, you are highly superficial.

Well, #1 can still be a friend, just because I don't find them physically attractive does that make me superficial?

Honestly, I wouldn't want to date either of them.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Superficial - not looking beyond the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships