Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Doo Doo started this thread

5 posts, read 22,424 times

Advertisements

Some people find the need to have closure, while others who don't. To me having closure is not the same as letting go. Giving closure is about respecting the person you have once cared for. Ending a relationship in order to avoid confusion and misunderstandings. At the end of it you both come out being more clear on how you feel about the break up and whether it is a proper decision.

To me it's cruel not to give a proper closure especially when the other party requests it. I want to understand from the other side why a closure is not a good idea and how do they feel when the other party insists on a proper closure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 03:47 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
I think there are some things that will just never be understood and we all must strive to move on the best we can. Closure is wonderful, but sometimes you have to make your own closure because the other party is unable/unwilling to give it to you.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:53 AM

911 posts, read 2,374,867 times
cause people are too chicken $hit to face reality

Old 10-23-2009, 06:39 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Well, it depends on what you mean.

If somebody says, "You know, Susan, I like you. But I'm no longer interested in a romantic relationship with you," that's full and proper ending to matters. In fact, it is far kinder to the spurned person to do it that way than have this long, drawn-out enumeration of all the reasons for the relationship's failure.

If you insist on closure meaning a full-blown, heart-to-heart discussion of why the relationship went off the rails, then you're kidding yourself. It's not like a Lifetime movie where people eloquently talk about what went wrong. Sometimes they simply can't put their finger on it.

In that sense, closure is really a shallow concept, ginned up by the cottage industry of self-help authors and twelve-step programs. Life is made up of loose ends and gray areas, of uncertainty and ill-defined emotions. To expect certainty and absolute definition to all life's issues is expecting a great deal more of life than it can truly provide.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:57 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, it depends on what you mean.

If somebody says, "You know, Susan, I like you. But I'm no longer interested in a romantic relationship with you," that's full and proper ending to matters. In fact, it is far kinder to the spurned person to do it that way than have this long, drawn-out enumeration of all the reasons for the relationship's failure.
It would be so nice if most people actually did this and not leave the other person hanging, but they usually don't because as bbrian12 said:
Quote:
I have a lot of issues with people I have known because of that.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:45 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,768 times
Some people are cowards, plain and simple. I know, it's frustrating.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:41 AM

850 posts, read 1,546,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Couldn't of said that better myself. COWARDS.

People hate confrontation and will talk all this s--- to their friends about what they are going to do, but when it comes down to it, they would rather just dissappear then be man enough or woman enough to tell someone they want out.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Yup.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:06 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Closure is just a chick thing. Guys never ever ever say "I just need closure". Almost all of the time its the woman spouting off about "Oh, I just want him to give me some closure." or "I just need closure so I can move on.". No you dont, you just want to have the last word in just one final time which is probably why he left you in the first place.

Women, understand this - you cry closure closure closure all the time but you just need to "man up" and understand that its over. No one is required to give you this closure you speak of, and it is not rude, wrong, bad or cowardly of them if they dont. Be an adult. The relationship is over. Move on. Move the EFF on!!! Geez.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrian12 View Post
I agree...had a few ex that did this to me...and they wonder why I am bitter towards them sometimes...unfortunely I don't hold grudges..can be a B*tch...but I have learned life is short...I always forgive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships