Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:46 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,082 times

Advertisements

My birthday is coming up in August. However, i want to invite all my co-workers in our department out for the evening, or during lunch. nothing big, just a drink or a small meal or something.

Our department only has 9 persons in it, so it wouldn't be too expensive. Would it seem weird though? I guess i just want to show thanks for them being welcoming of me since i joined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 05:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
My birthday is coming up in August. However, i want to invite all my co-workers in our department out for the evening, or during lunch. nothing big, just a drink or a small meal or something.

Our department only has 9 persons in it, so it wouldn't be too expensive. Would it seem weird though? I guess i just want to show thanks for them being welcoming of me since i joined.
Do it next week.

Why the birthday? Are you an Eastern politician?

Old 07-03-2009, 06:26 PM

I don't get your point. But i'm not Kim Jong-Il, if that's who you're referring to.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:32 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,874 times
I think a meal would make people uncomfortable, kind of like you're showing off. Going out for a drink would be preferable, I think. Or something like bringing breakfast and coffee in.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I think a meal would make people uncomfortable, kind of like you're showing off. Going out for a drink would be preferable, I think. Or something like bringing breakfast and coffee in.
I guess so.

I guess we could go for a drink at lunch or something. thanks for your input.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:39 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,707,600 times
Sounds good to me. Am I invited?

I was invited last night to a meal that cost $150 for a steak. Don't know what the other items cost...I didn't pay for it. Woot! Cool client.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Or something like bringing breakfast and coffee in.
Yeah, that's probably better. As people here are not used to being treated by the birthday person, they'll most likely pay for themselves and him if they go out since that's the custom here and that might make them and him uncomfortable... Or they might even turn down the invitation.

I couldn't get used to this custom here for a long time myself and used to take goodies to the office on my birthday even though I knew the company would get stuff as well. Back home the birthday person treats (whether it's at home, in the office, or out) and the guests bring gifts. The first birthday party I attended really surprised me... The girl was of my nationality and a student, so I thought it was kind of strange she "invited" us to a somewhat pricey restaurant. At the end I figured how things work out!

Now I say "the heck with everybody" and bring nothing to the office!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:59 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
That is kind of iffy. Are you the boss? If so, those who would just as soon get the hell out and go home will feel obligated to come. Or, does nobody have a life outside of work and so a free meal would be great? Do you think of these people as your friends who would want to celebrate your birthday? You will need to gauge the people you work with.
Ideally, you could just do something special for someone else's birthday, and then hope that the others do somthing special for your's.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:26 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
Go for it. It won't be weird if you invite everyone. Just make the invitation in a light manner so people don't feel obligated to go.

I work for a large company in a large department so it was okay for me to cherry pick who to invite. It was very nice.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:06 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
You fellas are joking, right?

Show me which professional environment is used for birthday parties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships