Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:44 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,537 times

Advertisements

My wife's cousin is in her 60's. She takes care of the children, and cooks and cleans the house during the week while we work (we do pay her for it). She has 3 grown children of her own and they all live in Trinidad. Yesterday my wife picked up her Daughter from the airport. She is up for a visit for about a week. This was a total surprise for my wife's cousin. When I got home from work a few hours later I came into the house, said hello, and retired to my bedroom to relax since I did not have the luxury of working from home (as my wife does). Just before I'm getting ready for bed my wife starts in on me saying that I embarrassed her by not staying out in the living room and talking, further stating that I was being unsociable, and that unless I step up and interact more that she did not want to go anywhere in a social setting with me. My first question is how much time should I be expected to play "host" after coming home from work? Should I ignore that thing called "fatigue" and just fall asleep mid-sentence, and second what does going out with me socially have to do with the way I interact with a house guest? Is this some form of "punishment" for being a bad adult? Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:35 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Yeah, probably bad manners. But, I have a feeling something more is going on in your wife's head and this may have been just the first shot.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I would say it is bad manners. We all feel tired , we often do not feel like doing things but most people will just put up with something because it is the polite thing to do. I can understand why your wife would be embarassed , I would have been to. It reflects badly on you to have a husband who is less than sociable.

When you married your wife presuambly because you loved her and wanted to make her happyand unless that Lady's daughter is extremely objectionable or offensive it does seem rude to basically ignore her in your house.

I loathe my Parents in Law but when they ( rarely thank goodness) do come to our house I will play hostess to them even though tey treat me like garbage and I suffer from ill health.

I see it as a matter of pride to be as good and gracious a hostess as I can regardless of my feelings about them or how terrible I feel. They never return the gesture when we visit them but at least I can hold my head up high that I have done the right thing.

Being tired is no excuse IMO. It's your house you should be host to that Lady and ignore your own discomfort for a little while. It does not sound that much to ask especially as I assume this is a very rare visit . Her Mother is obviously someone who does a lot for you ( yes I know you pay her for it ) and she is a cousin of your wife's so it seems to me rather churlish to go to bed simply because you're tired.

This may sound harsh but I do feel good manners are crucial ( especially if you have kids who will learn from your behaviour) in a world sorely lacking in social graces...

The "punishing" by your wife seems childish though, I think telling you how she felt should have been enough. You're both grown ups , talk about it rationally trying to see each other's points of view .

Old 06-25-2009, 06:54 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
Yes, it was rude. I'm sure it made the guest feel unwelcome. I'm sure you wife was embarrassed. You simply put your feelings and needs (being tired from work) ahead of anyone else.

Had I been the guest, I'd never come to your home again.

You might consider living alone. There are advantages to living alone you never need to worry about guests, other people, etc.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:03 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Well, there was a time when we had house guests over (friends we've known for years) and I told my wife that I was so tired that I might go into the bedroom and lay down for awhile.......she said "Ok" and our friends said "Ok" as well. I remember visiting them and I told them that my wife might have to lay down for awhile because she seemed to sleepy and they said "fine, just go in the bedroom and lay down".
Now, we wouldn't do this with just any guest, only with family/friends that we knew.......and either one of us would have to be REALLY tired/sleepy to do it!
But, this is OUR marriage and how we handle things. Marriages and the people in them are all different.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:05 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Well, I guess my wife and I are rude people, but that sure isn't the way our friends/family see us. And, YOU do seem pretty harsh about this......but then again, that's your opinion and you are entitled to YOUR opinion as well as the rest of us are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
Yes, it was rude. I'm sure it made the guest feel unwelcome. I'm sure you wife was embarrassed. You simply put your feelings and needs (being tired from work) ahead of anyone else.

Had I been the guest, I'd never come to your home again.

You might consider living alone. There are advantages to living alone you never need to worry about guests, other people, etc.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:10 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,071 times
Anybody who can't take the time to bring a little kindness and courtesy to the table for a guest in their own home needs a lesson in Manners 101.

Rule # 1: It's not always about you.

Streamer1212

Old 06-25-2009, 07:18 AM

727 posts, read 1,890,624 times
TRINI!!!.....I think it was borderline bad manners. You couldve atleast sat and talk for a half hour and then said excuse me guys work has worn me out,and excused yourself. Made them feel welcomed and comfortable....I understand being tired though!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
That's the reason why I don't have (apart from close family) any guests anymore.
I remember a long time ago when I was single I had some [low profile] little parties at home and I was happy to have a cosy little apartment that I had decorated myself , I had put quite a lot in energy in it, not being a very manual person.
So once during that get together I asked a friends friend : "so how do you find it here? don't you think it's nice?" (I know, I shouldn't have been so proud of my mdest achievment) she just answered a chill "ok" , I was a bit mortified, and a few days later somebody told me she had complained, saying I was boastful and that there was no reason for that, that a host shouldn't talk of his success of decorating his apartment, it's gross, etc. so I thought to myself "so you don't appreciate, get lost"

Old 06-25-2009, 01:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
My wife's cousin is in her 60's. She takes care of the children, and cooks and cleans the house during the week while we work (we do pay her for it). She has 3 grown children of her own and they all live in Trinidad. Yesterday my wife picked up her Daughter from the airport. She is up for a visit for about a week. This was a total surprise for my wife's cousin. When I got home from work a few hours later I came into the house, said hello, and retired to my bedroom to relax since I did not have the luxury of working from home (as my wife does). Just before I'm getting ready for bed my wife starts in on me saying that I embarrassed her by not staying out in the living room and talking, further stating that I was being unsociable, and that unless I step up and interact more that she did not want to go anywhere in a social setting with me. My first question is how much time should I be expected to play "host" after coming home from work? Should I ignore that thing called "fatigue" and just fall asleep mid-sentence, and second what does going out with me socially have to do with the way I interact with a house guest? Is this some form of "punishment" for being a bad adult? Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Actually, yes, it was very bad manners. The way I interpret this, you walked in the door, said, "Hey, how's it going," and then vamoosed to the back. I don't really buy the "I'm too tired" argument, because surely you could have mustered enough of a second wind to hang out for at least 20 minutes to catch up, and pretend to be glad to see her. After all, you didn't say that you went to the bedroom to sleep, but rather to relax. That could mean that you were reading a book, listening to tunes, or any number of other things.

Then, an undetermined amount of time later when you were actually getting ready for bed, she voiced displeasure with you, and I really don't blame her. Evidently, this isn't the first time you've ticked her off like this. Sounds like you really need to evaluate your social skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships