Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:43 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,054,980 times

Advertisements

I have a girlfriend who calls her man (boyfriend), of 5 years, her husband. Introduces him to people that way and the whole nine. Meanwhile, ain't neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr took a vow before God.

Does anyone on here do that? If so, what is your reasoning?

I've been told the older you get, the more couples like to shy away from using the term "girlfriend" or "boyfriend". If you've been with your S/O for many years, and don't have any plans on getting married, what do you introduce them as?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 08:11 PM

197 posts, read 397,690 times
Well my Mom as called my husband my husband way before we got married. I think that has to do with her culture. I would not call my boyfriend my husband. I would say this is "My Man" an then his name. If he were to introduce me I would expect him to say this is "My Lady" Faithi etc.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Never done it. At the same time, never corrected anyone's false assumptions either. I've only had one wife. Technically, I'm still married to her, but I don't know where she is. Disappeared on me one day.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:17 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,553,005 times
I got knocked up. My ex used to refer to me as his wife just because I had a child with him. I never referred to him as my husband and never would with anyone unless we tied the knot.

I do respect people who live as a married couple doing so, if they really feel they are married in every other way. Some people see a ceremony and paperwork as being merely symbolic and not a true representation of what they have.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,898,432 times
My boyfriend and I have been living together for six years. I don't consider us married unless I at least sign a marriage license and have a ring on my finger.

But if people say in the store or a restaurant or elsewhere,"Your husband," I don't correct them either.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,777,820 times
I've done it as a Freudian slip! Friggin' embarrassing! I have noticed that the boyfriends I felt most comfortable with I began to think of like a husband although I've never been married and take it far too seriously to do without a LOT of consideration.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:26 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
To each their own, but if you and I havent given our vows or made it legal, there is NO WAY IN HELL I would EVER call someone who is NOT my wife "my wife". No way. People just do this so they will not be judged. Plus, I think some people feel weirded out saying "this is my boyfriend" if they are both in their late 40s or early 50s.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I have a girlfriend who calls her man (boyfriend), of 5 years, her husband. Introduces him to people that way and the whole nine. Meanwhile, ain't neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr took a vow before God.

Does anyone on here do that? If so, what is your reasoning?

I've been told the older you get, the more couples like to shy away from using the term "girlfriend" or "boyfriend". If you've been with your S/O for many years, and don't have any plans on getting married, what do you introduce them as?
"Friend with benifits?" j/k No I never have done this. I do use pet names however like hun or babe and sweetie.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:06 PM

197 posts, read 397,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Never done it. At the same time, never corrected anyone's false assumptions either. I've only had one wife. Technically, I'm still married to her, but I don't know where she is. Disappeared on me one day.
Wow. You should write a book about that. Sorry to pry,but did you argue before it happened or do you think she was abducted?

Old 09-27-2009, 10:20 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
My high school students would do this. I'd ask them when they got married and they'd look at me blankly. I dunno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships