Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times

Advertisements

What is with so many men making rude and/or inappropriate comments to and about women and thinking it is okay? Then they get upset if you call them on it. I had a man online tell me that he only talks to hot women at work. He was always a cool guy so this seemed ridiculous. He just kept defending it and I asked why he talked to women online without knowing if they were attractive. He had no answer and said he hoped he hadn't ruined things between himself and the women in our chat group.

I can't explain how many times men have said inappropriately sexual or creepy things, subtle putdowns or outright insults, while trying to get me to LIKE THEM. Sometimes it's clearly objectification, as if that is a complement.

One guy called me a racist because I lived in a mostly white state- then asked me out- No thanks, pal.

Just wondering the deal. Someone suggested these are heterosexual mysogynists, who resent their need for a woman, but don't think they are really bad guys.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 05:56 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
Why is it we always get things with the sexist thing going on? Do you truly believe it is only the males that make stupid comments? If you do.. then you need to look in the mirror.. and please.. replay your VCR (in your brain) and check to see if you are so perfect that you never made a stupid comment.. I know for a fact you probably made a stupid comment or two..

What irks me is the generalization all the time in "men" and "women" is there any way we can sit there and call "that person" on the stupid crap that they did? I mean come on.. not "all" men do stupid crap like that.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:17 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
^ That's true. It's not just a man thing. Individuals of both genders will make ridiculous and unnecessary comments like that. Women tend to do it with material things more so than looks (ie. "I won't date a guy if he doesn't have nice shoes!").

When people put you down or try to make you feel insecure when they want you to like them, it is because they are the insecure one. They think by making you feel bad they will bring you down to their level and have more of a chance at gaining your admiration. After all, if you think well of yourself, why would you like a loser such as him? He needs to make you feel as bad as he feels about himself. By making those degrading comments, he thinks he is upping his value and lowering yours, and giving himself the upper hand.
Pretty stupid and childish. Some women do it too.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:04 PM

I have never ever seen a woman be mean to a guy she wants but I'd love to hear what type of things they say or do, as it would probably be different. Usually women insult a man they don't want. This isn't about "stupid" or clumsy comments, but creepy or mean things that they then defend. I agree about the devaluing but it is irrational and men are normally quite logical.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:22 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
To the OP....... it goes both ways

I have been on cd for awhile but just started posting in the relationship threads

I have quickly noticed that it is made up of nothing but a bunch of women thrown together to man hate

Old 04-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post

I have been on cd for awhile but just started posting in the relationship threads

I have quickly noticed that it is made up of nothing but a bunch of women thrown together to man hate
Huh? There are probably an equal amount of threads addressing men and women and particular issues here. This one is only about those who actually do behave this way- most don't. No hate, just curiosity.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Huh? There are probably an equal amount of threads addressing men and women and particular issues here. This one is only about those who actually do behave this way- most don't. No hate, just curiosity.
yeah..... the women hating part was not directed towards you. sorry for the confusion

i am saying in general from the women that post in the relationship forums

Old 04-20-2009, 08:07 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Why is it we always get things with the sexist thing going on? Do you truly believe it is only the males that make stupid comments? If you do.. then you need to look in the mirror.. and please.. replay your VCR (in your brain) and check to see if you are so perfect that you never made a stupid comment.. I know for a fact you probably made a stupid comment or two..

What irks me is the generalization all the time in "men" and "women" is there any way we can sit there and call "that person" on the stupid crap that they did? I mean come on.. not "all" men do stupid crap like that.
I cannot recall a time I have ever walked up to a man and asked him out adn thenturned around and called him outside of his name because he was not interested. But if I had a dollar for everytime it's happened t ome I would own my car outright. I have never insulted a man or given him a backhanded "compliment" and expected him to swoon at my feet.

True, not all men do it, but majority (99%) of the people who do it are male.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post

You say that because the women here have told you that it was selfish and disrespectful for you to lead a woman on. We don't hate men, we hate the way men treat women.

Of course, since you feel you are entitled to have a woman follow your agenda without telling her what it is, (like a dog on a leash) and we disagree, I can understand why you would take that as man-hate.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
What’s wrong about telling a woman her rear is as wide as a caboose. I love cabooses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships