Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:50 AM

1,639 posts, read 2,212,307 times

Advertisements

Men make comments that insult women because they go to forums like the "Don Juan discussion forum" and it tells them that you have to be insulting a bit, cause chicks dig that. haaha Jk

Just like this thread, there's nothing new about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,862,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
Good thing. Damn! Why is it the new members keep digging up old threads? Don't they anything better to do?
A spammer found this one ... might not have even been a live person.

For genuine newbies, I think that they may be searching for something related to their question or problem, and an old thread shows up on Google or whatever. They're new and often don't read the FAQ or notice that the thread is old.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,754,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What is with so many men making rude and/or inappropriate comments to and about women and thinking it is okay? Then they get upset if you call them on it. I had a man online tell me that he only talks to hot women at work. He was always a cool guy so this seemed ridiculous. He just kept defending it and I asked why he talked to women online without knowing if they were attractive. He had no answer and said he hoped he hadn't ruined things between himself and the women in our chat group.

I can't explain how many times men have said inappropriately sexual or creepy things, subtle putdowns or outright insults, while trying to get me to LIKE THEM. Sometimes it's clearly objectification, as if that is a complement.

One guy called me a racist because I lived in a mostly white state- then asked me out- No thanks, pal.

Just wondering the deal. Someone suggested these are heterosexual mysogynists, who resent their need for a woman, but don't think they are really bad guys.
I think it's just the way some men are socially conditioned. It's a technique to get your attention, kind of like a verbal "slap" Passive aggression at its finest. It's probably a foreshadowing of things to come if you happen to get involved. If you want to find out how things will turn out, look to the beginning of the relationship. A guy that thinks insulting a girl is cute or cool will probably struggle with a woman who needs respect and trust in her man.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:28 PM

7,965 posts, read 11,765,373 times
Quote:
What is with so many men making rude and/or inappropriate comments to and about women and thinking it is okay? Then they get upset if you call them on it. I had a man online tell me that he only talks to hot women at work. He was always a cool guy so this seemed ridiculous. He just kept defending it and I asked why he talked to women online without knowing if they were attractive. He had no answer and said he hoped he hadn't ruined things between himself and the women in our chat group.

I can't explain how many times men have said inappropriately sexual or creepy things, subtle putdowns or outright insults, while trying to get me to LIKE THEM. Sometimes it's clearly objectification, as if that is a complement.

One guy called me a racist because I lived in a mostly white state- then asked me out- No thanks, pal.

Just wondering the deal. Someone suggested these are heterosexual mysogynists, who resent their need for a woman, but don't think they are really bad guys.
Some men AND women are just flat out socially retarded! It never occurs to them that their comments could be hurtful or a turn off. LOL They're "just sayin'.....nothin' personal". Long gone are the days of social etiquette. These same people wonder why they end up with rude partners, relationships that don't last....or lonely as all get out.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:48 PM

42,762 posts, read 53,074,523 times
Why don't moderators just close the threads if they know it's old or the OP doesn't exist any more? Hmmm....

Old 08-31-2011, 01:03 PM

951 posts, read 1,816,437 times
Quote:
What is with so many men making rude and/or inappropriate comments to and about women and thinking it is okay? Then they get upset if you call them on it.
For a decade or 2, men tried nice and it got them nowhere. Younger men vowed to not make this mistake.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:53 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,754,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
For a decade or 2, men tried nice and it got them nowhere. Younger men vowed to not make this mistake.
Maybe the younger men should seek out the 40 or 50 year old guys and inquire how that "Not Nice to Women" thing worked out for them.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 AM

591 posts, read 869,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I cannot recall a time I have ever walked up to a man and asked him out adn thenturned around and called him outside of his name because he was not interested. But if I had a dollar for everytime it's happened t ome I would own my car outright. I have never insulted a man or given him a backhanded "compliment" and expected him to swoon at my feet.

True, not all men do it, but majority (99%) of the people who do it are male.
That's because it is up to men to ask out, so naturally they will own the lion-share of weird behavior as they instigate the interactions.

And BTW I have no clue as to the OP's experiences, I am the guy that has done none of the offenses she objects to. In fact, truth to tell, I don't even know any men that do those things either.

Last edited by Doctor Blues; 09-01-2011 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 AM

27,475 posts, read 27,500,423 times
Some are easily offended, some aren't. Most of my life, my line of work has been construction related, a trucker or serving drinks in a bar so I've developed a tolerance. But there are men who too, know how to curb their vocabulary around women so I have to commend them.
Raena has a good point.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM

31,402 posts, read 22,390,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
Some are easily offended, some aren't. Most of my life, my line of work has been construction related, a trucker or serving drinks in a bar so I've developed a tolerance. But there are men who too, know how to curb their vocabulary around women so I have to commend them.
Raena has a good point.
Younger men can be excused for not having the experience. Older men that don't have the ability to engage women in a polite manner are showing they can't learn and deserve what they get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships