Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,501,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow, that sounds awful!! I've noticed that some therapists practice it differently, and use technology of one sort or another, rather than the good old-fashioned way of just waving something in front of client's eyes. And you're right, the first session needs to be about getting to know the client. I'm sorry you had that experience. Thanks for sharing. Are you ok now?
I still have PTSD, but I was abused for years, and went through some traumatizing medical procedures. It's not something I expect to be healed overnight. I am doing a LOT better than I was just a year ago, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,501,402 times
Quote:
Sometimes the wounded people are the most caring. They tend to have more compassion than your average person, if they've dealt with their issues

"Issues" only are obstacles to a good relationship if they're not dealt with effectively. Unfortunately, too many people don't seek help, and those that do may have a difficult time finding a competent therapist. I've seen people who had horrific childhoods (men, mostly) really dedicate themselves to straightening themselves out, and come out of it transformed for the better. They do go on to have solid, long-lasting relationships. It usually takes 'em a divorce or two to get the message that they need to get help, though.
I agree with this. For example, my current counselor is deaf blind and so I really enjoy being able to talk to someone who just "gets it" without me having to explain what it's like. (I'm blind and was deaf for 2 years.) I also get the sense that part of the reason she is a counselor is because she has her own "history". I used to have a counselor who was adopted herself (I'm adopted). She specialized in pre, peri- and post-adoption therapy. Sometimes I feel like those counselors are the best because they have actually successfully made it through the journey they are trying to help you along in. In a lot of ways I'd rather have someone who's "been there", because they can relate on a personal, emotional level, and not just intellectually. I think we also forget that "mental illness" isn't always a label everyone is branded with for life. Extreme circumstances can drive anyone insane, but that doesn't mean they are always permanently insane. A lot of "insanity" is surmountable, especially when it's a result of trauma and not genetics. In fact, I think someone who doesn't have some sort of psychological reaction to trauma is probably more insane than someone who does. It's normal and natural to become depressed or anxious if some bad thing, or many bad things, have happened to you.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,369,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's normal and natural to become depressed or anxious if some bad thing, or many bad things, have happened to you.
Exactly! And that's what is being pronounced as a "disease" and "cured" with drugs having "suicide" as their main side effect! Thank you. I can get suicidal all on my own!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,147 times
I've been involved with a sexual abuse and domestic violence abuse victim for 4 years..I love her like there's no tomorrow but 'nothing' I do is right and I've received increasing abuse, criticism and down right cruelty to the point I can take no more. She constantly criticises 'my' personality and never looks at her own..It has totally exhausted me and left me in a very dark place.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 AM

102,390 posts, read 108,714,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsteve1976 View Post
I've been involved with a sexual abuse and domestic violence abuse victim for 4 years..I love her like there's no tomorrow but 'nothing' I do is right and I've received increasing abuse, criticism and down right cruelty to the point I can take no more. She constantly criticises 'my' personality and never looks at her own..It has totally exhausted me and left me in a very dark place.
Has she had any good therapy? If not, have you tried suggesting it, gently? It's sad how many people go through life without getting help for their serious issues.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,471,792 times
Quote:
Has she had any good therapy? If not, have you tried suggesting it, gently? It's sad how many people go through life without getting help for their serious issues.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but do you remember Dr. Ruth on the radio?

Whenever anyone presented her with a "non-mechanical" problem, she always asked, in her mousy German accent, "Have you trrried terapy?"

And it always ended "tank you for calling, bye-bye."

Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but do you remember Dr. Ruth on the radio?

Whenever anyone presented her with a "non-mechanical" problem, she always asked, in her mousy German accent, "Have you trrried terapy?"

And it always ended "tank you for calling, bye-bye."
If you can find a good therapist, it works. This is especially important for people carrying around unresolved trauma, which can throw a life permanently off-track if not addressed. That's the sad part. But I think we had a conversation earlier about mental health care professionals, and I think we agree it's a minefield out there. Maybe about 70% of people calling themselves "counselors", etc. are worthless. It means you have to be selective, it could take time to find a good one. But look at it this way. If someone is walking around with a gaping, bleeding wound or a broken bone, shouldn't they get to a doctor?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,471,792 times
Quote:
If you can find a good therapist, it works. This is especially important for people carrying around unresolved trauma, which can throw a life permanently off-track if not addressed. That's the sad part. But I think we had a conversation earlier about mental health care professionals, and I think we agree it's a minefield out there. Maybe about 70% of people calling themselves "counselors", etc. are worthless. It means you have to be selective, it could take time to find a good one. But look at it this way. If someone is walking around with a gaping, bleeding wound or a broken bone, shouldn't they get to a doctor?
I was being sarcastic.

I was only referring to one of the funniest radio personalities of all time, and a true marketing genius at the same time. Whether her advice is any good is beyond the scope of this thread.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,630,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
People are quick to assign the "damaged goods" label. And while I have no doubt that there are a lot of people out there who have serious issues that should deter you from getting involved with them, I think it's also important to give people a chance before you immediately write them off.
Interesting take. Yesterday I was reading a thread about guys with ED and how women wouldnt be interested in having anything to do with them. Im sure all those poor souls, simply wished for it. DOuble standards make me ill.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I was being sarcastic.
I was only referring to one of the funniest radio personalities of all time, and a true marketing genius at the same time. Whether her advice is any good is beyond the scope of this thread.
Oh, ha, sorry. I never listened to her radio shows, I only saw her once on 60 Minutes. Quite the unique personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships