Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:05 PM

286 posts, read 366,678 times

Advertisements

Regarding the following (post abbreviated):
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Fourth time:

Commentary. Not my words. Agree with them.
I'm a little unclear on the meaning of this. May I suggest writing in complete sentences? In the meantime, let's try to interpret this.

"Commentary." Perhaps the meaning is, "The text in this post is simply commentary." That's fine, but as opposed to what? As opposed to a question, or a request for commentary? Does it mean you don't want responses?

"Not my words." Perhaps the meaning is, "I am not the original author of the text in this post, it is actually a quote from someone else." If that's the case, it may be a good idea to cite the source.

"Agree with them." Perhaps the meaning is, "I demand of the readers that they agree with the commentary in this text." I don't think that's a reasonable demand, unless being this demanding is a form of asserting Alpha Male status, in which case, it's a nice try.

I'm not out to ruffle anyone's feathers, I just think some clarification would help. I should add, it may be that a lot of stuff the OP said is actually true. But, perhaps because the attitude speaks louder than the assertions, many responses were (understandably) negative. That may be the lesson of this thread. On the other hand, the OP may not care, and this may even be his attempt to (somewhat awkwardly) evolve into an arrogant jerk (no offense). Some gals dig that (or so it is said). Whether or not there are any who dig this particular style of jerkishness is unclear.

In any case, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,022,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans63 View Post
Regarding the following (post abbreviated):

I'm a little unclear on the meaning of this. May I suggest writing in complete sentences? In the meantime, let's try to interpret this.

"Commentary." Perhaps the meaning is, "The text in this post is simply commentary." That's fine, but as opposed to what? As opposed to a question, or a request for commentary? Does it mean you don't want responses?

"Not my words." Perhaps the meaning is, "I am not the original author of the text in this post, it is actually a quote from someone else." If that's the case, it may be a good idea to cite the source.

"Agree with them." Perhaps the meaning is, "I demand of the readers that they agree with the commentary in this text." I don't think that's a reasonable demand, unless being this demanding is a form of asserting Alpha Male status, in which case, it's a nice try.

I'm not out to ruffle anyone's feathers, I just think some clarification would help. I should add, it may be that a lot of stuff the OP said is actually true. But, perhaps because the attitude speaks louder than the assertions, many responses were (understandably) negative. That may be the lesson of this thread. On the other hand, the OP may not care, and this may even be his attempt to (somewhat awkwardly) evolve into an arrogant jerk (no offense). Some gals dig that (or so it is said). Whether or not there are any who dig this particular style of jerkishness is unclear.

In any case, good luck.
The easy way to understand what I mean is this.

First, you note the first two words I said: "Fourth time". That seems to imply that, hey, maybe I've said similar things three times prior. Going back through the thread would be the logical next step where you will indeed find that I already clarified it.

It's commentary from a bunch of people in a room discussing this topic amongst other things. The sheer brilliance of what was said impressed me enough that I felt I would elicit other opinions from here. But when I see people start calling names, under the impression that they're my words, I like to make sure they understand.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:43 AM

22,230 posts, read 19,238,916 times
there is something really creepy and shallow and bitter and cynical
about seeing and describing and living the whole process of doing relationship with another human being as a "game"

it reeks of lack of maturity, lack of emotional health, an unwillingness to live life honestly, and an absolute terror of doing feelings with another person because of the emotional vulnerability involved

until and unless a person develops emotionally and intellectually to where they choose to leave the "game" mentality behind for the childish petulance it is, their relationships are going to be miserable.

Good luck

Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 AM

22,230 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
All other things equal, women will select the one who chases them the hardest, who shows the most confidence in the early stages of dating.
no, they don't
i am a female and that is simply not true
a lot of women can't stand a pushy arrogant guy with the behaviors and attitudes described above

it always amuses me and amazes me when an individual man considers himself and expert on what women are "really like" and what women "really want"

if someone believes the post above, it speaks only to that one person's personal experience, and sounds like that person sees life and views life and lives life (including "getting a woman") as very competitive, like running a race to win a prize (the woman being the prize), and it is all about confidence and brute force and being stronger than they other guys

so the post shows a good deal of insight about the person posting it, and very little insight about why women choose the men they choose

Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
I'd rep you again if I could, DSR. Your last two posts are spot on!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:55 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,048,165 times
Actually that point was from the horses mouth. There are two qualities that I hear women consistently state attractive in men. Persistence and confidence.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:09 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
Both DSR and Jefetio have a point.
Let's say Pat like in chessgame.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:29 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,798,567 times
HAHAHA To assume one knows what all women want is very ignorant. I will say there are a few things one can do to determine what any woman wants given she is open to communicate with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships