Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 04:02 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm 28 and I am interested in a woman 38 years old. I actually know her through an organization/another friend of mine.

We have a real lot in common, we love the outdoors, going to new places, traveling to new places, we just have a lot to talk about, plus shes gorgeous (I think so at least). And I have gotten some small signs of mutual interest, a little light flirting. I guess we've known each other for a couple months now, but I really only became "interested" in her for about a couple weeks now, since it was the first time I saw her since then.

Anyways, what is your advice on a younger guy interested in an older woman.
I think there's tremendous appeal in an older woman:

life experiences that make them very interesting to listen to (less so with womn in their early twenties).

They know what they want, over the bad boy stage, and they don't really play games, (they can identify interest coming from a guy and will be more direct if they are not interested in going on a date). Plus, I think they can be just as attractive as a 20 year, seriously.

I consider faily confident, mostly. Money is one issue, at this point in my career, I only make just under 30,000/year not enough for a family, but it pays the bills. Other than that though, I think I'm fun, interesting, and not boring, and I always come up with great date ideas. So I know of my good traits and those give me confidence.

She has certainly had a lot of dating experience, considering shes older, and shes even been married, that stuff doesn't intimidate me at all.

Just have two questions:

I had asked her out a couple times casually, you know "hey, I got this time free, and was going to do this, how would you like to come along?" Both time however she had something else going on. Like I said, I think at that age, woman don't play games and will be more direct, so they know its a date, and may let you down gently, rather than look for excuses not to go. But still, should I just be persistent, but not pushy?

What are some things to do/say to an older woman that would may her feel great, in a way that would make her want to be with me? I know older woman are often self-conscious about looking old. Maybe I could casually compliment/reassure that she is (and she is!) still very pretty. I suppose I could tell her that I like her independence and sense of adventure (which she has).

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 04:21 PM

456 posts, read 1,397,557 times
As an older woman, I would say that you might be better off focusing on who she is as a person, rather the fact that she is older. That's what makes most older woman special, imo. We know who we are, what we want, what or who we like, etc. And there is nothing more intriguing or even sexy than a man, of any age, who tries to understand who we are from the inside out.

I have dated younger men, and the only one who didn't really work out was the one who could not get past our age differences, even though he was the one who intially pursued me. I date men, older and younger, based on whether or not we are a good fit. Age almost never has anything to do with the attraction.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,677,349 times
Why not just come out and ask her out?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
If you think that she is long term relationship material, probably what you should do is make sure that sure that you let her know that you have all of these common interests and enjoy her company as a person. Once you establish that, then let her know that you find her physically attractive. Basically you want to avoid the whole cougar thing and not let her think that she's going to be a passing fancy that you'll drop once her looks fade.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Hi all,

I'm 28 and I am interested in a woman 38 years old. I actually know her through an organization/another friend of mine.

We have a real lot in common, we love the outdoors, going to new places, traveling to new places, we just have a lot to talk about, plus shes gorgeous (I think so at least). And I have gotten some small signs of mutual interest, a little light flirting. I guess we've known each other for a couple months now, but I really only became "interested" in her for about a couple weeks now, since it was the first time I saw her since then.

Anyways, what is your advice on a younger guy interested in an older woman.
I think there's tremendous appeal in an older woman:

life experiences that make them very interesting to listen to (less so with womn in their early twenties).

They know what they want, over the bad boy stage, and they don't really play games, (they can identify interest coming from a guy and will be more direct if they are not interested in going on a date). Plus, I think they can be just as attractive as a 20 year, seriously.

I consider faily confident, mostly. Money is one issue, at this point in my career, I only make just under 30,000/year not enough for a family, but it pays the bills. Other than that though, I think I'm fun, interesting, and not boring, and I always come up with great date ideas. So I know of my good traits and those give me confidence.

She has certainly had a lot of dating experience, considering shes older, and shes even been married, that stuff doesn't intimidate me at all.

Just have two questions:

I had asked her out a couple times casually, you know "hey, I got this time free, and was going to do this, how would you like to come along?" Both time however she had something else going on. Like I said, I think at that age, woman don't play games and will be more direct, so they know its a date, and may let you down gently, rather than look for excuses not to go. But still, should I just be persistent, but not pushy?

What are some things to do/say to an older woman that would may her feel great, in a way that would make her want to be with me? I know older woman are often self-conscious about looking old. Maybe I could casually compliment/reassure that she is (and she is!) still very pretty. I suppose I could tell her that I like her independence and sense of adventure (which she has).

What do you think?
Okay, first of all, she's only 38 - it's not like she's all worried about looking "old" so give that a rest, son.

Secondly, here's something you can say to an older woman to make her feel great ... "Do you want me to get your walker for you?"

Old 09-29-2008, 05:40 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,455,589 times
Yes, it's very fashionable nowadays for older women to date younger men. Such women are called "Cougars".

And I believe there's even a new TV series called "Urban Cougars" is in the making.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:47 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,654,534 times
I understand your concern but I am sort of giggling over here by your saying that you would need to reassure her that she is still pretty...no need for that. 38 is not 88. I am 37 - and I will give a man the gentle blow-off with being busy when comments of "hey I got this going on, want to join?" - in particular with younger men around your age and when not interested in general. A woman being around my age does not guarantee you that they will be direct when they aren't interested at all - some thrive on the attention - some lack social skills like they did at 20. I'm 50/50 - when I feel like being direct - I will be. When I do not want to be or don't care enough to be, I'm not. Before anything, why don't you just ask her straight-out if she dates men 10 years younger, instead of continuing to be a risk against her "busy schedule" and shot down?

If you told me that you like my adventure, would not impress me unless I was a cartoon character. If you told me that you liked my independence, I would most likely wonder how independent you were and if you were the co-dependent type - which is a strangulating thought for the independent woman. If you told me that you are surprised how well I look for 37 or that I am "still" pretty, you will get a silly cockadoodle-doo of my brow and probably ignored in the long run- because I am not old to begin with. Just be yourself, a woman my age - or any age - will let you KNOW she likes you. See the thread - "How to tell if a woman likes you" or whatever it is called. The signs are universal.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:51 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
You go JeepGirl!!! I'm 43 (for a limited time only!) and I am still like, the hottest MILF, Cougar, whatever, this side of the Rockies!!! LOL!!!

Okay, now ... where's my cane?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Okay, first of all, she's only 38 - it's not like she's all worried about looking "old" so give that a rest, son.

Secondly, here's something you can say to an older woman to make her feel great ... "Do you want me to get your walker for you?"

You are on a ROLL today, T!

That'll get him laid.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
You go JeepGirl!!! I'm 43 (for a limited time only!) and I am still like, the hottest MILF, Cougar, whatever, this side of the Rockies!!! LOL!!!

Okay, now ... where's my cane?

Oh no, your memory is going now too?

I ordered the 2 for 1 off the infomercial this weekend for us Remember?

Oh poor, T!

Once we get that down pat - we can hobble to those Aqua Aerobics classes with our rubber flowery caps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships