Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 13,167 times

Advertisements

The Good

Been together for a few years and get very along well.
Excellent conversations; no awkwardness.
We enjoy same activities and are both physically active.
We both have good jobs and make about the same money.

Issues

I am 30, she's 36.
She is a little overweight and added some pounds since we met.
My parents are against it. Social taboos.

It is "decision time" and I am quite nervous. I'm trying to think through all circumstances in my head. I have read other threads about older woman/younger man relationships, but those usually focus on age gaps of 10 years or so. I am in the in-between zone where we really don't feel a huge difference now. But will this be a problem later? I gaze over at younger women, but I feel like this is something that all men must cope with when they settle down, regardless of their wife's age. In addition, I have been with a more physically attractive younger woman in a prior relationship and we were totally incompatible on a personal level, so the physical attraction there died quickly.

Bottom line question: Do I just need to suck it up and accept that marriage is against human biology, or is the fact that my gf 6 years older present serious additional problems? Again, day-to-day, we are great together. Any helpful perspective here is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 12:21 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I know many couples where the woman is 5-10 years older and it's never been an issue. When your parents are gone you will be left with nothing but your choices. If you think want something different for yourself then now is the time, but make sure it's for yourself and make sure it's attainable.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:22 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikssen View Post

Issues

I am 30, she's 36.
What are they against... her age? Her weight?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:23 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I'm against first post, put a match to the kindling, threads myself.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikssen View Post
The Good

Been together for a few years and get very along well.
Excellent conversations; no awkwardness.
We enjoy same activities and are both physically active.
We both have good jobs and make about the same money.

Issues

I am 30, she's 36.

It is "decision time" and I am quite nervous. I'm trying to think through all circumstances in my head. I have read other threads about older woman/younger man relationships, but those usually focus on age gaps of 10 years or so. I am in the in-between zone where we really don't feel a huge difference now. But will this be a problem later? I gaze over at younger women, but I feel like this is something that all men must cope with when they settle down, regardless of their wife's age. In addition, I have been with a more physically attractive younger woman in a prior relationship and we were totally incompatible on a personal level, so the physical attraction there died quickly.

Bottom line question: Do I just need to suck it up and accept that marriage is against human biology, or is the fact that my gf 6 years older present serious additional problems? Again, day-to-day, we are great together. Any helpful perspective here is appreciated.
Why is the age difference listed under "Issues"? Seems like your parents are the issue, not her age by itself, since you don't have a problem with it. Or...do you? 6 years is nothing. The reason you don't feel a huge difference is that there isn't one.

I think you need to sit down and come up with a more extensive list under "The Good". There's gotta be more than must good convos & enjoying the same activities, getting along well. You make it sound like you've been dating for a few months, and are trying to decide whether to make it exclusive, not living together for years and trying to decide whether to pop the question.

If that's all you can come up with, the answer would be "no".

Old 02-19-2014, 12:27 PM

339 posts, read 379,669 times
If you have to stress and strain over the decision, OP, then she's probably not the one you want to marry.

And as far as that goes, why would ANY guy marry ANY woman??? It's just beyond me.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:27 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
If you think 6 years difference will make a huge difference later on, you're not mature enough to handle it.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:39 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,398,974 times
"Excellent conversations. No awkwardness."

Geez, after years together I would hope so! I don't think most people think "lack of akwarness" is a plus in a long relationship. It's a given.

Last edited by JoeCollege; 02-19-2014 at 01:38 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 12:43 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
Wow if you have the mindset marriage is "against human biology" please don't get married. Your girlfriend spent some of her childbearing years with you and should have been with someone else.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:52 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
You seem terribly immature, even for 30. Seriously, you're looking at marrying this woman and you're worrying about your parents not approving? Are you still dependent on them or something? Or is she abusive and that's why they (quite logically) disapprove?

You don't seem that into her either. I get along with a lot of guys. I have GREAT conversations with a lot of guys. Doesn't mean I want to marry them. You're also getting cranky about a woman gaining "a few" pounds as she approaches 40. That happens, but you also say you're both physically active so obviously it's not going to get out of control.

I'm a year older than your girlfriend and not really into the whole biological clock thing, but she's got a limited time if that's on her to-do list. And here you sit dithering after 6 years. Cut her loose so neither of you waste anymore time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships