Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 20,225 times

Advertisements

I recently dated a guy who lied uncontrollably. I mean about things that sometimes didn't even matter. He was married at the time we started seeing each other- bad enough in itself, I KNOW! (He eventually divorced to pursue another relationship.) When he and I started seeing each other, he ended another relationship he was already in. Over the course of our "relationship" he got involved with or slept with at least 3 other girls-that I know about. He prided himself in being a great lover- which he was and loved to hear me tell him.
When I was suspicious he was lying about something, I asked him about it. More than once, he looked me in the eye and with the most sincere look on his face, denied it. Everytime I caught him in a lie and confronted him, if he knew he couldn't deny it, he would get angry and hang up the phone or leave.
When he was with me, he could make me feel like there was no one else in this world that mattered. Then he would go and do the hurtful things that he knew devastated me and try to justify them only when he got caught.
Now I see all these posts and websites about sociopathic behavior and narcissism. I would like opinions on whether he truly shows the signs of this behavior or am I just a woman scorned???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM

17 posts, read 60,262 times
Oh please, he is just selfish, self-absorbed, and immature. And I'll even explain all three.

He's selfish because he's only thinking about his own needs - basically girls.

He's self-aborbed because well... he's so into himself and his amazing "lover" skills.

He's immature because he's still doing the good old high school thing of hanging up the phone if things weren't going his way and doing mean little things because he knew they would hurt you/make you mad. I did these things occasionally in high school to some of my friends (I was a cheerleader, I swear it almost ran in the squad's genes to do ridiculous and petty stuff).

He may be narcisstic but I don't think he's a sociopath... is he a manipulator?

Old 05-28-2008, 05:53 PM

yes.
looking back, he manipulated the whole r-ship. Everything was always on his terms/schedule.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
He sounds somewhat narcissistic. That isn't good either. It stinks to be with someone like that.

Get over him. He is no good obviously.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 PM

Who knows if he is a narcissist.

All the things you said about him including manipulativeness are deal breakers for me in BOTH relationships, and friendships. I don't put up with that type of garbage.

Neither should you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeling stupid View Post
yes.
looking back, he manipulated the whole r-ship. Everything was always on his terms/schedule.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Quote:
I recently dated a guy who lied uncontrollably. I mean about things that sometimes didn't even matter. He was married at the time we started seeing each other- bad enough in itself, I KNOW! (He eventually divorced to pursue another relationship.) When he and I started seeing each other, he ended another relationship he was already in. Over the course of our "relationship" he got involved with or slept with at least 3 other girls-that I know about. He prided himself in being a great lover- which he was and loved to hear me tell him.
When I was suspicious he was lying about something, I asked him about it. More than once, he looked me in the eye and with the most sincere look on his face, denied it. Everytime I caught him in a lie and confronted him, if he knew he couldn't deny it, he would get angry and hang up the phone or leave.
When he was with me, he could make me feel like there was no one else in this world that mattered. Then he would go and do the hurtful things that he knew devastated me and try to justify them only when he got caught.
Now I see all these posts and websites about sociopathic behavior and narcissism. I would like opinions on whether he truly shows the signs of this behavior or am I just a woman scorned???
Did he start calling you paranoid as well? Because what you've described has happened to me too along with being accused of paranoia when I questioned the behaviours.
Bottom line? You've done nothing wrong and whatever you want to label his behaviour, you won't change it and you are worthy of so much more than what he's dished out. Cut your losses, remember you've done nothing wrong and get as far away from him as you can.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 PM

he told me I "over thought" things. or i suspected something and kept digging until i got the answer i was looking for.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:48 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
he told me I "over thought" things. or i suspected something and kept digging until i got the answer i was looking for.
That's typical hiding-something behavior.

I know it's hard to think this way right now, but I agree that you'll never know and that it doesn't really matter...you're out of that situation and eventually, looking back, you'll be glad. Relieved.

I know it's hard...I'm sorry.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:51 PM

JerZ has sympathy for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That's typical hiding-something behavior.

I know it's hard to think this way right now, but I agree that you'll never know and that it doesn't really matter...you're out of that situation and eventually, looking back, you'll be glad. Relieved.

I know it's hard...I'm sorry.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:52 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
JerZ has sympathy for once.
WTF????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships