Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 09:23 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times

Advertisements

Yikes. It'd be one thing if he'd been isolated in his own place and came over once or twice, but if he's in and out of your place and in and out of who knows where, no dice. Hopefully you and your mom can come to an agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 11:59 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Yeah, the in and out part and I can see that being concerning. We've been trying to limit our contact with Mrs. Chow's mom as she's 84 and it's pretty rough on older people if they do contact the virus. The death rates in that age group are very high.

I'm sure you can make up with your mom at some point, hopefully at least. We need unity at this point.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:37 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Can she at least make sure he washes his hands the second he comes in the door? I guess I’d be mad if I were you too...

Old 04-06-2020, 02:03 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
We officially cancelled our trip to Phoenix. I figured it was likely, but I was conflicted about it. The part of my mind arguing to try and still go, was "What if this situation gets worse, rather than better, and fiance's Dad dies before we are able to even see him again?" He is 85? 86? Can't recall when his birthday is... But if this doesn't take him out, something else could, at any time. We had kicked around the idea of doing a road trip, and how we'd use protective gear to stay safe when we had to stop for bathroom breaks, bring out own food, things like that. We'd tried to think of ways we could do this safely...

But the risk was still there and still disconcerting. And the other part of my rational mind just saying, "It's a bad idea."

So I asked him to talk to his Dad on the phone and let him make the call. He said he did not want us to chance it. So we won't. He (Dad) is trying to isolate as best he can, but he still goes to his doctors' appointments and to the store and gets food delivered and such. I don't really know anyone who is doing a perfect job of eliminating all risk, but I think it's good that we are almost all trying to mitigate it. One guy I know, a brilliant data scientist whose information I generally trust a lot, says he believes that our state has actually already hit its apex of medical need and that as long as everyone continues to isolate, to avoid a secondary spike, it could be downhill from here. That would be really nice, and I hope it's true.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:56 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
I haven't visited my parents in a month. I call a couple times a week. Their facility is in lockdown. Which I am okay with. Mother called me Saturday and wanted me to make a grocery run for them this week. Absolutely, I would be happy to do that. Wednesday I will make that run for them.

Today I took some cardboard to be recycled. Then I started in on a couple of woodworking projects I was wanting to do for a while. One is a display of patches I have collected over the years. Fire, EMS and law enforcement. Usually from me training with these folks or training them.

The other project is a holder for challenge coins I have collected over the years. Two huge sources of pride from years of doing what I do. However, I am trying to find one my former boss gave me years ago. She passed away about 6 weeks ago. That one has meaning. I can't find that one and it is bothering me.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:34 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
I am lucky enough to have moved my workstation home. Now I have my own window office.

One thing that has been confirmed to me is that the general public is just too frustrating for me. I am amazed at how stupidity just keeps spreading and/or reproducing.

Again, the news showed buttheads determined to ignore the stay home order. Then, a person from the PD talked about how many warnings were given out. If these people want to party or just be obnoxious, lock them in an arena altogether. Just keep them away from people who are doing the right thing, because the ones who are behaving will be the ones to get sick.

And don’t get me started with the people who expect to be told that it will all go away April 16th at 3:05.

UGH
SMH

Old 04-06-2020, 08:52 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Auraliea, you are right. Mom is wrong to have him in your home, during the COVID-19 virus.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post

One thing that has been confirmed to me is that the general public is just too frustrating for me. I am amazed at how stupidity just keeps spreading and/or reproducing.

Again, the news showed buttheads determined to ignore the stay home order. Then, a person from the PD talked about how many warnings were given out. If these people want to party or just be obnoxious, lock them in an arena altogether. Just keep them away from people who are doing the right thing, because the ones who are behaving will be the ones to get sick.
I watch the morning news while I'm getting ready, and still, every morning they announce another shooting or two overnight. So these chuckleheads aren't keeping away from each other and putting their beefs aside, and then they're going to the hospital taking medical resources away from the COVID response.

I had to cancel a trip last month to see family, and now the stay at home orders keep getting extends. My parents live in another state, within driving distance, and it's hard not to be able to visit them. They're in good health, but what if they weren't?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-07-2020 at 07:51 AM..

Old 04-07-2020, 12:57 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I'm getting a bit annoyed at people STILL not maintaining their distances. I'm trying my best to give people wide births and stay away but a lot of people don't seem to be doing that as much. I'm talking when I'm at the store. It can be hard at times with going up and down isles but it can be done. The Ralphs here was originally limiting the amount of people in the store at one time and there were lines to get in. They've stopped doing that but I just read something on MSN.com that said that Kroger was going to initiate that response.

I'm a little confused but I guess I'll see the next time I go to the store.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:58 PM

The grocery chain that I go to has talked about making aisles one way with arrows on the floor, so you don't have to pass back and forth. I haven't been yet this week, so we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships