Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 11:09 AM

880 posts, read 532,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh, our communication is fantastic. That's the thing that gives me hope. It's not a disagreement. It's a fundamental disconnect between my emotional needs and her physical ones (result in a challenge/head butting). We are going to have to try to find a compromise, which will be tricky and may require some failed trial and error.

But thank you.
I don't know the details of your issues but I kind of understand where you're at. I can come across as quite cold and distant if I feel my physical needs aren't being met, more so if I was feeling rejected, its a trigger for me because I dealt with a lot of physical rejection within my marriage. My defenses shoot up as though my head is preparing for things to go to s**t again, the coldness is a by product which is misleading because its actually when I'm at my neediest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 11:20 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
We apparently have one hell of a blizzard moving in, or so they say. Temps dropped from the 70's to the 30's in about an hour and a half. My office is closing at 11am!

Climate change is trippy, man.

But I'll sure take the afternoon off! Niiice...
Me too! But I'm already home 70 yesterday, foot of snow coming in 48 hours...

Old 04-10-2019, 02:31 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Me too! But I'm already home 70 yesterday, foot of snow coming in 48 hours...
This one is for you when the snow hits...put on your fuzzy slippers and sit down with a big cup of hot chocolate (or a hot toddy) and let this slow song soothe you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ikZgBhSMSUM

Old 04-11-2019, 11:06 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This one is for you when the snow hits...put on your fuzzy slippers and sit down with a big cup of hot chocolate (or a hot toddy) and let this slow song soothe you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ikZgBhSMSUM
Thank you thank you. Im going to watch Purple Rain again tonight. Brings back the olden days of my youth...

Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
I don't know the details of your issues but I kind of understand where you're at. I can come across as quite cold and distant if I feel my physical needs aren't being met, more so if I was feeling rejected, its a trigger for me because I dealt with a lot of physical rejection within my marriage. My defenses shoot up as though my head is preparing for things to go to s**t again, the coldness is a by product which is misleading because its actually when I'm at my neediest.
I get it, too. At least in the abstract, Timberline. I hope that things are either improving or that they do improve for you and your partner.

I think that different people certainly react differently to conflict and difficult emotions and such. Some seem to want to charge in a provoke and fight and carry on, explode and then recover. For some, this seems the most natural thing in the world. That whole mindset is horrifying to me, guessing because of my childhood and my parents' behavior. I can't deal with anger well, and I'm far more likely to get distant or to be avoidant even.

I had a situation about a week or week and a half ago. I was not in a good place emotionally and I tried to "use my words" and ask for what I felt I needed from my fella. I think I made a mess of it, and he became defensive, and I ended up just rolling over and letting it go but I was feeling pretty resentful that my attempt at an "ask" did not go well. I was feeling like, great, here's going to be another relationship where no one cares about what I need and I've got to just shut up and go without, and here's where it starts. Because I damn sure won't ask again. I feel sorry I ever tried. (That was in my head, I did not say it.)

Well. In hindsight, I was an ass. I admit it. I was so wrapped up in my own head that I was being horribly self centered. He was having a very stressful week, and it was not a good time to try and engage him in that conversation, he really did not have the emotional bandwidth, as he was having issues at work and waiting on medical tests about an ongoing condition that they monitor in case it could wind up being cancerous...I mean the guy was under enough pressure. He didn't need me being all mopey and insecure on top of it.

And after his stress factors calmed and blew over, he's been completely able to circle back and he's been extra conscientious and loving. He just needed a little time. I feel like a jerk for even thinking the way I was thinking. Or at the least like a petulant child. But I'm glad things are better now...my man, well, he is a keeper.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:22 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Yeah, thanks. We've never really fought. We have some intense discussions. We had one until very late last night. It was very productive in learning how each other is wired regarding an issue. Unfortunately, we are wired so very differently on the issue that its like another world. On the good side, both our wiring gets us to similar places (which is one reason we connected in the first place), but it also means when we mis stepped on things we didn't realize it would be a trigger for the other because we took for granted we were coming from similar head spaces. We weren't. We got to the same place through very different paths. We are exploring scenarios on how to make the differences complimentary. Hopefully it works. She is awesome. I'd hate for this to not work.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:28 PM

880 posts, read 532,537 times
Sounds a lot like me and the bf, we are both very similar in many areas of our relationship but the way we process and achieve our goals is very different, I process quickly, I'm decisive and I like to execute quickly. He sees it as being reckless and not thinking things through and nicknamed me blitzkrieg, I see it as getting s**t done. He likes to take his time, take small steps, and analyze each stage in his decision making process. I see him as procrastinating and having too much self doubt. He thinks taking things slower means you can better predict the outcome. We had a lot of fall outs but kept coming back together because of the stupid thing called Love. I ended up dragging him to some therapy sessions and its helped us communicate so much better.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:24 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Coachella is happening this weekend apparently.

Good thing they do it about now, another month or two and they'd be roasting their brains out. Gets Arizona hot when you go that far east.

For people that aren't familiar with Ca and associate it with beaches they've got another thing coming, Ca is basically the same as Az when you get far enough inland.

If we turned off the sprinklers here on the coast, we'd really look like Az, LOL.

I have issues with crowds, I couldn't imagine being at a festival with over 200,000 people expected to be in attendance.

Shudder.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:14 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
God, I swear ASMR is one of the best things the Lord has blessed the world with....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2QDwQXOZA

So many tingles...so much relaxation......*drools*

Last edited by Auraliea; 04-12-2019 at 09:27 PM..

Old 04-15-2019, 01:41 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
I feel sick watching the coverage of Notre Dame burning in Paris. Such a beautiful building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships