Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2020, 11:07 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Moreno Valley had several protests, all peaceful. Same with Perris, Temecula, and Murrieta.

I have been glued as well! Also glued to social media, which isn't healthy.
I have no problems with peaceful protests. It's our right to be able to voice our opinions. I just hate to see how a small percentage of thugs basically hijack peaceful protests just to cause trouble or worse, just to loot.

Saw a vid clip from the 92 riots where a black man was trying to protect his business and he was screaming at people asking why destroy his stuff. I felt bad for the guy. It's the same now, while I can certainly understand the outrage, I don't know why innocent people's businesses have to be destroyed.

It's just sad. Businesses have already taken a hit with the pandemic and now this happens on top of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 11:16 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I have no problems with peaceful protests. It's our right to be able to voice our opinions. I just hate to see how a small percentage of thugs basically hijack peaceful protests just to cause trouble or worse, just to loot.

Saw a vid clip from the 92 riots where a black man was trying to protect his business and he was screaming at people asking why destroy his stuff. I felt bad for the guy. It's the same now, while I can certainly understand the outrage, I don't know why innocent people's businesses have to be destroyed.

It's just sad. Businesses have already taken a hit with the pandemic and now this happens on top of it.
Agree 100%.

The destruction of property and looting is so detrimental to the meaning behind the protests.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:33 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I was pretty nervous yesterday. My sons were gone from the house all day. As they are (technically) adults at 18 and 21, I did not want to mother-hen them but I was worrying. I was also comforted by the fact that wherever they were, my older son's fiancee was driving, she was with them, and she is very sensible. But still...

It got to be 10:30 last night and I'd not heard a peep, so I called my older boy. He let me know that they'd been hanging out with a friend on the south side of town all day and they were on their way back. Nowhere near downtown, and completely fine and safe. I do not love the fact that they seem very dismissive of social distancing, though this friend is very isolated (he is one of those loner, stoner shut-in kind of dudes and they are his only friends)... But I was much relieved that they were nowhere near the city center.

This thing seems to be kicking up in most cities. First it was the big ones, now a lot of the smaller cities are having protests and rioting/looting/conflict. I definitely make a distinction between the peaceful protesters and the violent troublemakers, and between cops like the guy in Flint, and those who show up excited to do battle. There are some on both sides here who want peace, and some who want war. And from everything I'm hearing, it's all kinds showing up to agitate. The right apparently thinks it's Antifa, and the left thinks it's the Alt-Right and the Boogaloo Bois. Whatever it is, it's ugly. I live in a part of town that I hope won't be affected, but who knows for sure? Thus far all of the protest activity has been going on downtown. They have used tear gas. I have friends who have been there, I'm getting a lot of raw footage from people who are at these things. I have not had to turn on a news station, but I feel like I'm very informed.

I have heard about significant protest activity in (and I have seen coverage from):
LA, Sacramento, Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Denver, Colorado Springs, Houston, Dallas, Flint, Ferguson, Detroit, Des Moines, Atlanta, Chicago, Minneapolis (of course), Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Fort Wayne, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NYC, Charlotte, Asheville, Fayetteville, Raleigh, Richmond, DC, Fredericksburg... That's all I can think of. And that is all from my social media, many from people who actually live in these places and are either reporting on their local news, or actually going to the protests and participating. (I also hear that there have been events in England, Germany, and Iran.)

I am far more interested in raw footage and eyewitness testimony, than I am editorializing. If I am not going to go investigate personally at these events, then the least I can do is look to get my information from direct, first-hand sources, I figure.
It's such a shame that those animals are destroying downtown. I'm in west Littleton so nowhere near it but I can't imagine the people who's very expensive condos are right there.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:52 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It's such a shame that those animals are destroying downtown. I'm in west Littleton so nowhere near it but I can't imagine the people who's very expensive condos are right there.
I am really careful using words like "animals."

Because while I do think that some are just the generally criminally minded, or young people who feel invincible and want to be in the middle of the excitement and perpetrate shenanigans...

I also 100% believe that there are people who are part of actual organizations, I know of some on the extreme right for sure, would not shock me if some extreme left, too, and there have been actual police caught on film, escalating this to a state of warfare--deliberately starting destruction and violence.

Someone has delivered and left pallets of bricks on street corners in one city. Who would do that?

There is video of police busting up a building (in uniform, not just the "umbrella man.") There is video of them piling wooden pallets on a barricade and starting fires. There is video of a group of them destroying their own police SUV. All likely to "justify" battle tactics against protest groups. If you don't give them a reason, they'll create one.

If this response to a protest against police brutality is not...well...completely telling...

I was saluting various forces who took a knee, who interacted in a healthy, friendly way with protesters, and especially the...what, Sheriff? in Flint, who marched with them. Good man. But in some cities it's now coming out that the cops took a knee or something as a photo op, and less than an hour later they geared up and started beating on people.

But I really think that there are large portions of America's leadership (and likely foreign interests) who want middle class majority white America to see footage of black looters and rioters and think, "Animals. Savages. Thugs. Lawless criminals, and a threat." They cannot let racism die, because if the people ever stand undivided? They're screwed.

Although they are doing a pretty good job of dividing us into Team Red and Team Blue nowadays.

I don't weep over destroyed property. It sucks, but insurance is a thing and STUFF can be replaced, buildings rebuilt. I feel for the lives and hardships of the most vulnerable who get brutalized and killed, or who bear the brunt of real suffering in any conflict.

And yeah...I'm worried as all get out, about COVID as it relates to this.

Anybody else seeing the "2020 Apocalypse Bingo Card" memes? What have we got so far?

Amazon jungle / Australia on fire
Threats/fears of WWIII
Global Pandemic
Stock Market Crash
Unemployment, possible Depression
Locust swarms in the Middle East
Murder Hornets
Riots and mayhem in every city

Criminy... I'm gonna need to buy a history text book in like 5-10 years or more, just to read how they even describe all of this.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I am really careful using words like "animals."

Because while I do think that some are just the generally criminally minded, or young people who feel invincible and want to be in the middle of the excitement and perpetrate shenanigans...

I also 100% believe that there are people who are part of actual organizations, I know of some on the extreme right for sure, would not shock me if some extreme left, too, and there have been actual police caught on film, escalating this to a state of warfare--deliberately starting destruction and violence.

Someone has delivered and left pallets of bricks on street corners in one city. Who would do that?

There is video of police busting up a building (in uniform, not just the "umbrella man.") There is video of them piling wooden pallets on a barricade and starting fires. There is video of a group of them destroying their own police SUV. All likely to "justify" battle tactics against protest groups. If you don't give them a reason, they'll create one.

If this response to a protest against police brutality is not...well...completely telling...

I was saluting various forces who took a knee, who interacted in a healthy, friendly way with protesters, and especially the...what, Sheriff? in Flint, who marched with them. Good man. But in some cities it's now coming out that the cops took a knee or something as a photo op, and less than an hour later they geared up and started beating on people.

But I really think that there are large portions of America's leadership (and likely foreign interests) who want middle class majority white America to see footage of black looters and rioters and think, "Animals. Savages. Thugs. Lawless criminals, and a threat." They cannot let racism die, because if the people ever stand undivided? They're screwed.

Although they are doing a pretty good job of dividing us into Team Red and Team Blue nowadays.

I don't weep over destroyed property. It sucks, but insurance is a thing and STUFF can be replaced, buildings rebuilt. I feel for the lives and hardships of the most vulnerable who get brutalized and killed, or who bear the brunt of real suffering in any conflict.

And yeah...I'm worried as all get out, about COVID as it relates to this.

Anybody else seeing the "2020 Apocalypse Bingo Card" memes? What have we got so far?

Amazon jungle / Australia on fire
Threats/fears of WWIII
Global Pandemic
Stock Market Crash
Unemployment, possible Depression
Locust swarms in the Middle East
Murder Hornets
Riots and mayhem in every city

Criminy... I'm gonna need to buy a history text book in like 5-10 years or more, just to read how they even describe all of this.
You touched on a lot of key points, SS.

Corruption is everywhere and no one should be blind to the problems and dysfunction of our "leaders".

Old 06-01-2020, 03:25 PM

Just got a emergency alert on my phone. City wide shutdown at 4pm.

I head over to the grocery store and it was jam packed with people. I swear, it feels like were living in the end times right now.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Just got a emergency alert on my phone. City wide shutdown at 4pm.

I head over to the grocery store and it was jam packed with people. I swear, it feels like were living in the end times right now.
My goodness!

Riverside county (the entire county) will be under a mandatory curfew starting tonight at 6 pm.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
My goodness!

Riverside county (the entire county) will be under a mandatory curfew starting tonight at 6 pm.
Yeah, crazy stuff. I'm not sure if all of LA county is under curfew or just a few select cities. I'll go out and put on the local news in a while. I'm in the home office attempting to get some work done

I gotta say, today hasn't been my most productive work from home day I've ever had.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:26 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Volunteers, of differing races, are coming together and helping to clean up the mess made from all the vandalism. Something nice for a change.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:29 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Yeah, crazy stuff. I'm not sure if all of LA county is under curfew or just a few select cities. I'll go out and put on the local news in a while. I'm in the home office attempting to get some work done

I gotta say, today hasn't been my most productive work from home day I've ever had.
I talked to a friend who lives in Ontario Ca, and they will be under curfew from 6:00 pm until 6:00 am tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships