Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 10:33 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times

Advertisements

There is a thing I do, like a crow or a magpie I guess, I pick up coins and little shiny bits of whatever, pretty rocks, just tiny things and accumulate them. And I call them "gifts from the Universe" and it is a tangible little moment where I just sorta give thanks. The point is to cultivate a general spirit of gratitude and positivity.

The thing about money, though. There was a day I got a fortune cookie that said, "Riches are headed your way." Later that night or the next day (can't recall--it's been years) I went to switch the laundry and someone had left a handful of dollar bills in their pocket, and while gathering them out of the dryer I laughingly said, "MA RICHES! MA RICHES!" and ever since then, if I pick up a coin, even a penny, off the ground, I mutter, "Ma riches" under my breath.

I think that's also why I embrace a few quaint superstitions...but not in a serious way, just in a playful way. Like Homina and luck. It's just about being appreciative and positive and taking notice of the times that life doesn't suck.

A few months ago I took my teenage sons and their girlfriends to a really cool coffee shop. One of the girls was admiring this locally crafted necklace for sale, it was cheap and I was going to buy it for her, but they only took cash for those items (had to do with how they paid the maker of the stuff.) And I don't tend to carry cash, and that night was no exception. So I put it back. And a few minutes later, the barista came and handed her the necklace, a man had bought it for her and then left before she could even thank him. He wanted it to be anonymous. She's worn that necklace every day since.

Sometimes people are just nice. And it's awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Having a hard time keeping my chin up today.

Boyfriend and I have been horribly sick. I'm still on antibiotics for a nasty respiratory infection (secondary complication of flu) and boyfriend wound up with pneumonia from this flu bug. It's a nasty one. But I'm chugging along, coping...and I went home to eat lunch, left my car parked out in the neighborhood parking for all of like 30 minutes, came out and someone had stolen my rear license plate! I mean wtf!?

I filed a police report online, and I'm going to print out the pdf of that, and carry it with me for a minute until I can get my new plates which can't happen sooner than tomorrow unfortunately. Meanwhile I need to go put my front plate on the rear, because I think it's more noticeable that I don't have a rear one. More likely I'd get pulled over. In this state we're supposed to have both. It's so irritating in a "don't I have enough to deal with right now???" kind of way. *sigh*

It would be rad though if I spotted my plate on some car in the neighborhood. I can just imagine one of my trash neighbors being stupid enough to take a plate and stick it on their jalopy thinking they'd just get away with it. I mean, my neighborhood is not terrible but it's townhomes, almost all rentals, and we've got a lot of dumb young people...budget housing for college students and their boyfriends and girlfriends to split, we get our share of noise and stupidity. Last week a car got egged and covered in ketchup and the cops were out in the middle of the night dealing with some loud young idiot out there. Like it's not gangs and meth, it's just...a mix of normal people and some idiots...

Really gotta be honest my delight if I got to call police and stand there to point out a thief's car, would be even greater than my irritation at having had this happen in the first place. I find it a little amusing to realize that.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:53 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
I hope you & boyfriend are feeling much better very soon, Sonic S.

I take a 1000mg vitamin c tab every day. It helps.

I'm very sorry some scum stole your license plate... grrr

Old 02-11-2019, 03:57 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post

I wonder if the license plate thing is some kind of new thing now. We have tandem parking and I noticed one of our cars the license plate has obviously been tampered with, it's all bent up like someone was pulling it up by bottom and bending it somehow. I'd like to put my foot upside someone's ass if I saw them doing it. Aggravated just thinking about it.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Thank you. I eat Airborne gummies like the candy they are, and boyfriend does the flu shot, I don't...but we both still got sick as dogs. Sometimes when it's gonna getcha, it's gonna getcha. I don't get sick often, and I haven't been THIS sick in many many years.

I just really hope I don't get pulled over between now and when I get my new plates. I cannot get that done until tomorrow on my lunch break, it simply cannot happen any sooner, and I have places I have to drive whether I like it or not. I am carrying printed out copies of my police reports from my filing today, and I figure if I do get pulled over, I will show them that and say "Look, I JUST had this happen, here's proof I reported it stolen, and I have every intention of getting this taken care of as soon as I possibly can." Hope they understand. Or that I manage to simply not encounter any cops between now and then.

*sigh*

The other aggravation is that I realized when the police called me back to clarify, that my car registration is one of those few malingering areas where I still have my old last name (pre-divorce.) In order to get it updated, I have to get some kind of new title or something, which is held by the lien-holder on the car, and the loan company is a pain, they never answer the phone. Endless hoops. I don't care that much I guess...I'd love to have it up to date...but if they balk at giving me new plates because my driver's license name doesn't match my registration and I can't update the registration and...AAAAAGGGGHH...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M_jh4CA8a8

Old 02-11-2019, 04:25 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
Lol have ya'll looked at the tags on this thread?

Old 02-11-2019, 04:48 PM

19,431 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I wonder if the license plate thing is some kind of new thing now. We have tandem parking and I noticed one of our cars the license plate has obviously been tampered with, it's all bent up like someone was pulling it up by bottom and bending it somehow. I'd like to put my foot upside someone's ass if I saw them doing it. Aggravated just thinking about it.
Lol, I was going to post about this, too. What I don't understand is why they're just bending it up??? How is that going to get them the plate? Why not remove the bolts or screws or whatever?

It's also hazardous for taking skin off my hand when I forget about it while closing the trunk.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:24 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Lol, I was going to post about this, too. What I don't understand is why they're just bending it up??? How is that going to get them the plate? Why not remove the bolts or screws or whatever?

It's also hazardous for taking skin off my hand when I forget about it while closing the trunk.

Maybe, take the plate off, put a piece of wood on top, pound it back straight...

Old 02-11-2019, 05:28 PM

19,431 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Quote:
Maybe, take the plate off, put a piece of wood on top, pound it back straight...
Yes, we'll have to, because there's no room to bend it back while it's attached.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:22 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships