Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 09:29 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times

Advertisements

My dad is a jazz fan, so I grew up listening to a lot of his tapes on car trips as a kid. Some I like--Dad was a fan of some of the jazz orchestras (Stan Kenton, specifically,) and there are some great vocalists out there. Some just sounds like squawking for an eternity as everyone gets their chance to jam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:33 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
I have developed an appreciation for the music of Sade that I did not have in my younger years. I look at her as mostly jazz-based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=kcPc18SG6uA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTp3pXH4YRk

Old 07-24-2018, 09:47 AM

52,254 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I'm not much into jazz. I can do "smooth jazz" as background music all day because it's good mellow background music that I can listen to while working.

I find of that type of music I prefer more of the Spanish guitar/flamenco/world type stuff. Guys like Ottmar Liebert and Jesse Cook come to mind.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not much into jazz. I can do "smooth jazz" as background music all day because it's good mellow background music that I can listen to while working.

I find of that type of music I prefer more of the Spanish guitar/flamenco/world type stuff. Guys like Ottmar Liebert and Jesse Cook come to mind.
If you remember Handyman Negri from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, the real guy, Joe Negri, is actually a really great jazz guitarist--worth checking out.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:51 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If you remember Handyman Negri from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, the real guy, Joe Negri, is actually a really great jazz guitarist--worth checking out.

Wasn't Mr Rogers a jazz pianist or something like that?

Anyway, I thought this would be more up my ally as its Brazilian Jazz, and I love some bossanova at times, but nah. I will say, compared to the music I dig, the babes are out in force for this stuff. Still, no thanks.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:06 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I feel like I get odd attachment to particular artists even if I'm not generally "into" their genre.

It just occurred to me that I adore Louis Prima, and I guess he's a jazz guy. There were a couple of songs my stepmom played like "Angelina" and man, I can listen to that over and over. It gives me the happies. Then I found this song for my Christmas music collection (I like to play music in the background on Christmas day, but it can't be annoying, so it's a tricky business finding good stuff) and this song tickles me, it goes "What will Santa Claus say, when he finds everybody swingin'?" and I know he's talking about dancing and partying...I assume...but of course I'm mentally giggling imagining Santa dropping into a Swinger party or something, it's just funny as hell to me.

And THAT song...led me to where I know the guy from, and always have, since I was a little girl! Because there is a part in it where he sounds much like he does in singing the song I'm very, very familiar with. See he voiced King Louis, in the Disney version of "The Jungle Book." In which he sings, "I Wanna Be Like You."

As they say in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, "Everything is connected."

Old 07-24-2018, 10:21 AM

52,254 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I feel like I get odd attachment to particular artists even if I'm not generally "into" their genre.

It just occurred to me that I adore Louis Prima, and I guess he's a jazz guy. There were a couple of songs my stepmom played like "Angelina" and man, I can listen to that over and over. It gives me the happies. Then I found this song for my Christmas music collection (I like to play music in the background on Christmas day, but it can't be annoying, so it's a tricky business finding good stuff) and this song tickles me, it goes "What will Santa Claus say, when he finds everybody swingin'?" and I know he's talking about dancing and partying...I assume...but of course I'm mentally giggling imagining Santa dropping into a Swinger party or something, it's just funny as hell to me.

And THAT song...led me to where I know the guy from, and always have, since I was a little girl! Because there is a part in it where he sounds much like he does in singing the song I'm very, very familiar with. See he voiced King Louis, in the Disney version of "The Jungle Book." In which he sings, "I Wanna Be Like You."

As they say in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, "Everything is connected."

Louis Prima is great. I guess he's considered jazz, IDK.

When I think of "jazz" I think of that fusion type and the disjointed funky sounding stuff. Not sure the exact name, but the stuff that isn't as melodic and kind of goes off in all directions. Not a fan of that.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:24 AM

Louis Prima might be more swing than jazz. His music was in that infamous Gap khakis swing ad from back in the 90s

Old 07-24-2018, 10:39 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Louis Prima might be more swing than jazz. His music was in that infamous Gap khakis swing ad from back in the 90s
Yeah, the internet says he's jazz/swing/rock & roll/ "boogie woogie" (?? lol) and a few other things. He seems to be-bop his way across a number of genres. Good on him!

But it's that more rockin' jazz that brushes up hard against swing and marching band music that I really dig.

"Smooth" or mellow jazz just bores the hell outta me.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:40 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Jazz is such a broad genre, I mean, New Orleans jazz and big band are miles apart from freestyle, etc.

That said, don't really like much of any of it. Kamasi Washington is cool for example, good stuff, but can't get into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships