Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 08:34 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Not trying to be a snob, but we won't ever step foot in one of those places. We watched a documentary about their business practices and I was done with them.
Yeah, well, when you work nights and after 12 in a row the only thing open is WM, you lose the 'snobbery' if you feel like hot garbage and are just thinking about bed. I get it though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 08:48 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
Quote:
The stuff I was worried about happening, is indeed happening. My dead father hasn't cooled off yet and the vultures are starting up. Got a step sister going out of state to my dad's house to pick the bones of what was left over, supposedly to pick up stuff that was her mother's. I'm finding out that she wants his TV and the necklace that was his. Too bad he's going to be buried with his necklace. One of his grandkids is trying to claim his car. I could go on and on, but I won't. People can sometimes be naseuating at times. I swear
ugh. why do people do this....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yeah, well, when you work nights and after 12 in a row the only thing open is WM, you lose the 'snobbery' if you feel like hot garbage and are just thinking about bed. I get it though
12 in a row??!
That's full on.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:17 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Because they're asses. When we were moving the ex-inlaws into assisted living, I noticed a little colored sticker under most of the furniture. Antiques. I asked what those were from, a sale? No, that's how SIL marked the things she was claiming when they die.

Quote:
12 in a row??!
That's full on.
I like money, especially around tax time now that I don't have a dependent to claim, and there are some things I can't dwell on if I'm always at work. 😉

Old 01-16-2017, 06:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
The stuff I was worried about happening, is indeed happening. My dead father hasn't cooled off yet and the vultures are starting up. Got a step sister going out of state to my dad's house to pick the bones of what was left over, supposedly to pick up stuff that was her mother's. I'm finding out that she wants his TV and the necklace that was his. Too bad he's going to be buried with his necklace. One of his grandkids is trying to claim his car. I could go on and on, but I won't. People can sometimes be naseuating at times. I swear

I thought the realtors calling about selling the house was bad, but family! Ugh. Sorry.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:46 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yeah, I get it at times, Walmart is convenient and usually available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

12 in a row??!
That's full on.
People can just be gross at times. I don't even know how much money is left over for my step sister and me. I can't imagine being enough to get worked up over, but whatever. I'm sure the step sister is chomping at the bit to know. My dad living out of state from me decided to make his granddaughter the executor of his will/estate and she's been really good to my dad over the years. She lives just a few minutes away from him and was there for him when he needed things. I haven't really got into the details of his estate yet, she said that he had a hold on everything for 120 days, just to make sure that all his financial obligations were covered, which makes sense, I can see that. My dad didn't have any kind of real money, just some leftover money from the sale of his house a year or two ago, so I hope my step sister isn't counting her chickens before they're hatched as they say.

Working too much sucks, yeah, the money can be ok, but to me my time is more important to me. When I used to work over-time it was fine to do just about 10 extra hours a week, you saw a nice little bump in pay but you weren't totally and completely wiped out.

The only way you would get me to work 12 days straight is if someone was being held hostage and I was forced to do it. A lot of the time when I worked more than 8 hours during the work week I'd usually not even bother to charge them for it, I would just cut out of work a couple hours early on Friday, usually as long as I had things covered and didn't have to meet with anyone. I figured it's a win win.

I have a serious lazy streak in me, apparently.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:36 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
I was too little to remember, but my dad has a story that when my grandmother died, she had a few boxes of things (jewelry, etc.) that were earmarked to go to my mom and my aunt (the wives of her sons.) During the funeral, Grandma's sister and her daughters came into the house and took all of it, then lied about it afterward.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:29 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,107,489 times
THESE are only a few of the reasons that I beg folks to have a will and all of their papers and financial affairs in order.

MG's brother-in-law (of all people) was sitting in the funeral home openly trying tally up how much money MG should have - and didn't believe that some people have a healthcare deductible of $6K.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:48 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
THESE are only a few of the reasons that I beg folks to have a will and all of their papers and financial affairs in order.

MG's brother-in-law (of all people) was sitting in the funeral home openly trying tally up how much money MG should have - and didn't believe that some people have a healthcare deductible of $6K.
My dad did have his burial stuff and other things dealt with. He was good about all that, has all his burial costs all paid for ahead of time and has a few explicit instructions of what he wanted. One of the things I found sorta funny was that his granddaughter was going though his clothes trying to find a nice suit for him to be buried with. She actually reread his wishes and apparently he wants to be buried in one of his Hawaiian shirts.

I remember as a kid he had a worn a lot of those silly shirts over the years. LOL, most of them are pretty loud and tacky looking.

His granddaughter had asked me what stuff of his that she could put aside for me. I told her just some pics of him and us he had on the wall and to grab some of his Hawaiian shirts for me. We're planning on donating whatever is left after the step sister plunders through his things to charity. He had a lot of clothes that were in good shape and that some old guy somewhere can probably make some good use of.

I figured I'll wear one of his loud and tacky Hawaiian shirts at the celebration of life service that we're going to have a little later.

I think he would like me wearing one of his shirts in his honor.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:41 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
When my father died, the only thing I wanted was the flag that was draped over his casket at his burial at the military cemetery. I hang it from the garage Memorial Day and the 4th of July. I usually take a photo and email it to my stepmother.

When I moved my mother to assisted living shortly my stepfather had his major health event 18 months ago, I found a printout in her records of an email to her attorney with a list of items specifically included in her will. I managed to get all but a couple of things on the list out of the house before a stepbrother grabbed them.

This was one of two lawn sculptures on the list that ended up in my front yard. She'd given it to me a decade previously but reclaimed it when she moved to another house where she could use it again.

I bought a cemetery plot for my mom last summer. The cemetery is a couple hundred yards from my house. My sister and I had the conversation with her a year earlier about where she wanted to be cremated and buried. With her memory loss issues, she doesn't remember the conversation but when we ran down the list of options, she agreed that this made the most sense. She has a $5,000 burial policy that should cover the cremation and a headstone.

Last edited by GeoffD; 01-16-2017 at 02:52 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 04:58 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
Quote:
Yeah, I get it at times, Walmart is convenient and usually available.

People can just be gross at times. I don't even know how much money is left over for my step sister and me. I can't imagine being enough to get worked up over, but whatever. I'm sure the step sister is chomping at the bit to know. My dad living out of state from me decided to make his granddaughter the executor of his will/estate and she's been really good to my dad over the years. She lives just a few minutes away from him and was there for him when he needed things. I haven't really got into the details of his estate yet, she said that he had a hold on everything for 120 days, just to make sure that all his financial obligations were covered, which makes sense, I can see that. My dad didn't have any kind of real money, just some leftover money from the sale of his house a year or two ago, so I hope my step sister isn't counting her chickens before they're hatched as they say.
Oh yeah. I've heard and seen people do horrible things. At a time when they should be coming together.
I've told my parents to spend it all (the little that they have)... They mentioned the house.. I told them to sell it now, buy something smaller and LIVE.

Quote:
Working too much sucks, yeah, the money can be ok, but to me my time is more important to me. When I used to work over-time it was fine to do just about 10 extra hours a week, you saw a nice little bump in pay but you weren't totally and completely wiped out.
I don't get overtime or anything like that. There's been times I've worked a lot of overtime.. I think the first 3 months of last year I worked 6 days a week.... until I told my boss to hire someone else... I realised if I keep just doing the extra work he really has no need to hire someone.

Quote:
The only way you would get me to work 12 days straight is if someone was being held hostage and I was forced to do it. A lot of the time when I worked more than 8 hours during the work week I'd usually not even bother to charge them for it, I would just cut out of work a couple hours early on Friday, usually as long as I had things covered and didn't have to meet with anyone. I figured it's a win win.

I have a serious lazy streak in me, apparently.
Nah. I get it...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships