Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2022, 02:46 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Hi all!

Hope you had a great weekend. It's been SO busy for me lately, but I did take a couple of days off last week, which was nice even though I had family stuff to take care of. I did get a nice hotel room for my mom and I for her bday and we had a great time.

I got a new car last weekend, and I am happy about that. Sold the old car to Carmax and got a good price for it.

Anyway, it's Monday and I am back to the grind. Have a good day
You are always so chipper, especially on a Monday.

My last two cars I've purchased at Carmax. I was in the market for a long time before I finally did buy something. I turned my car in at Carmax and they gave me a good amount on it. The used car market has really taken off amid all of the supply chain issues. I had the car for thee years and they almost gave me what I paid for it when I traded in. Just about 1400 bucks shy of that. I figure you drive something for three years and only really lose that much money is pretty good in my book.

I like the model that they use, just walk in and pay the price on the car, no wheeling and dealing required. I will say that I think Carmax is a little bit high on the prices, but the cars are in good shape and the service is solid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 04:16 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You are always so chipper, especially on a Monday.

My last two cars I've purchased at Carmax. I was in the market for a long time before I finally did buy something. I turned my car in at Carmax and they gave me a good amount on it. The used car market has really taken off amid all of the supply chain issues. I had the car for thee years and they almost gave me what I paid for it when I traded in. Just about 1400 bucks shy of that. I figure you drive something for three years and only really lose that much money is pretty good in my book.

I like the model that they use, just walk in and pay the price on the car, no wheeling and dealing required. I will say that I think Carmax is a little bit high on the prices, but the cars are in good shape and the service is solid.
I agree in that Carmax has a good model for business. I also bought the new car there, although that wasn't my plan originally.

Two weeks ago, I sold a 2011 Mercedes GLK350 that was starting to have some issues and looking to get a KIA. I needed a car that had the 3rd row seat so when my family goes places, we can all ride together (my mom doesn't drive much anymore). I figured I would go back to Carmax to look around and test drive a few cars to see what I liked and ended up getting a Ford Flex that is perfect for me!

Old 04-04-2022, 04:19 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
The talk of buying/selling cars reminds me... Father in law loves his car, he's a Cadillac man and it's always been a big deal for him to have a pristine car in the garage. Well, his doctors really don't want him driving, but his cognition is not too bad and we're not at a point where we feel we must prevent him driving for the safety of the general public. But we do make sure that he doesn't HAVE to drive for anything he needs. I just don't want to be pushy and take his choices from him at this stage. But he has had some physical issues to deal with, it's getting harder for him to stand up from a chair, and move around. At one point, I told him, "I'm not worried that much about you being a hazard on the road, I'm more concerned you'd get to where you're going and not be able to get out of the car, or fall in the parking lot or something." Which is totally reasonable to him. I feel like where we stand now, it's "probably not a good idea" for him to drive...but it's not quite "a disastrously bad idea."

Husband and I have wished we could persuade him to sell his car, but we just haven't felt it's our place to bring that up...and we figured we'd get quite a bit of pushback from him.

All the same, I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, "I heard that the used car dealers are really hurting for inventory, so much that some folks are getting as much as they paid new to sell their used cars, isn't that something? I've never heard of anything like that, I was always told that when you buy new, your car loses most of its value as soon as you drive it off the lot..." Making conversation. And then yesterday, he said, "Well...I'm thinking about selling my car."

See, it just needed to be his idea... I really do wonder what he could get for it, though. I'm just pretty excited that we could get off so easy, not having to fight him over the whole driving thing. I know that's a tough one when caring for an elderly relative sometimes.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:24 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's odd. It doesn't sound like they know what they want. I just read an article by a woman who said that during the pandemic she and her husband had a day a week where they didn't talk to or interact with each other, even if they were in the same house. She said it seems odd, but it actually saved their relationship.
Perhaps they just want to try start out slow and see other people before jumping into having sex. Baby steps?
I know some folks who tried it and while it may have sounded a good idea at the time, it ultimately ended in a breakup.

Last edited by Sydney123; 04-04-2022 at 07:13 PM..

Old 04-05-2022, 08:56 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Perhaps they just want to try start out slow and see other people before jumping into having sex. Baby steps?
I know some folks who tried it and while it may have sounded a good idea at the time, it ultimately ended in a breakup.
Yeah I am wondering if they are just trying to manage up front expectations. It just seemed odd to join a non-monogamy facebook group, say that they were opening their marriage, and then also say "but we don't want sex or relationships with other people." It would have made more sense to me if they'd said, "We are trying to take it slow and just get social right now, make new friends and connections...maybe more later."

I hate to think that the idea of having friends as individuals (rather than a coupled unit) is considered "non-monogamy" but then I think of some of the threads we've seen here over the years with guys saying that it's flat out impossible for men & women (who are straight and even kinda decent looking people) to be really "just friends"...and that once you're in a relationship you should leave everyone else behind and only focus on your partner. That isn't even healthy for me. Maybe it is for somebody. But the idea of only interacting with other non-related adults in the context of, "Maybe sex?"...I find it repellent, and refuse to accept that's how it is. I don't think that a person should HAVE to be "non-monogamous" just to have their own friends!

But what you describe here, reminds me of something frequently said in writings and discussions among the non-monogamy groups... A classic error for couples thinking to go open is that it will solve pre-existing problems in their relationship. "Relationship broken; add more people" is how they put it. If anything participants need higher level communication skills and relationship health to navigate non-monogamy ethically and successfully. And as much as I'll never claim that my experience with it was a disaster or anything, my observations then and since have been that the more humans you add to a situation, the more potential for drama there is. I found polyamory to be fun but exhausting. /shrug

Old 04-05-2022, 10:32 AM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah I am wondering if they are just trying to manage up front expectations. It just seemed odd to join a non-monogamy facebook group, say that they were opening their marriage, and then also say "but we don't want sex or relationships with other people." It would have made more sense to me if they'd said, "We are trying to take it slow and just get social right now, make new friends and connections...maybe more later."

I hate to think that the idea of having friends as individuals (rather than a coupled unit) is considered "non-monogamy" but then I think of some of the threads we've seen here over the years with guys saying that it's flat out impossible for men & women (who are straight and even kinda decent looking people) to be really "just friends"...and that once you're in a relationship you should leave everyone else behind and only focus on your partner. That isn't even healthy for me. Maybe it is for somebody. But the idea of only interacting with other non-related adults in the context of, "Maybe sex?"...I find it repellent, and refuse to accept that's how it is. I don't think that a person should HAVE to be "non-monogamous" just to have their own friends
But what you describe here, reminds me of something frequently said in writings and discussions a the non-monogamy groups... A classic error for couples thinking to go open is that it will solve pre-existing problems in their relationship. "Relationship broken; add more people" is how they put it. If anything participants need higher level communication skills and relationship health to navigate non-monogamy ethically and successfully. And as much as I'll never claim that my experience with it was a disaster or anything, my observations then and since have been that the more humans you add to a situation, the more potential for drama there is. I found polyamory to be fun but exhausting. /shrug
Well being amateurs….I am sure that they have a lot to learn if not just “terminology” wise. Looks like they are trying to find a place to start.
I am a private pilot.. I wouldn’t’ expect a prospective pilot to be able to fly or understand the terminology right off the bat. Ya have to start some place.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:52 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The talk of buying/selling cars reminds me... Father in law loves his car, he's a Cadillac man and it's always been a big deal for him to have a pristine car in the garage. Well, his doctors really don't want him driving, but his cognition is not too bad and we're not at a point where we feel we must prevent him driving for the safety of the general public. But we do make sure that he doesn't HAVE to drive for anything he needs. I just don't want to be pushy and take his choices from him at this stage. But he has had some physical issues to deal with, it's getting harder for him to stand up from a chair, and move around. At one point, I told him, "I'm not worried that much about you being a hazard on the road, I'm more concerned you'd get to where you're going and not be able to get out of the car, or fall in the parking lot or something." Which is totally reasonable to him. I feel like where we stand now, it's "probably not a good idea" for him to drive...but it's not quite "a disastrously bad idea."

Husband and I have wished we could persuade him to sell his car, but we just haven't felt it's our place to bring that up...and we figured we'd get quite a bit of pushback from him.

All the same, I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, "I heard that the used car dealers are really hurting for inventory, so much that some folks are getting as much as they paid new to sell their used cars, isn't that something? I've never heard of anything like that, I was always told that when you buy new, your car loses most of its value as soon as you drive it off the lot..." Making conversation. And then yesterday, he said, "Well...I'm thinking about selling my car."

See, it just needed to be his idea... I really do wonder what he could get for it, though. I'm just pretty excited that we could get off so easy, not having to fight him over the whole driving thing. I know that's a tough one when caring for an elderly relative sometimes.
One thing I’d do first is get a CarMax offer, then shop around especially at dealer selling the same make. That is how I got a dealer to up their price $2k on my trade in when I bought my new CRV.

Of course, a private party sale would be the most lucrative, especially with dealers doing outrageous markups on used cars.

Old 04-05-2022, 04:27 PM

I'm not sure what is going with Madonna these days. She needs to chill out a bit on the cosmetic surgery, or whatever it is she's doing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...b488202a9a87cc

Old 04-05-2022, 06:09 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not sure what is going with Madonna these days. She needs to chill out a bit on the cosmetic surgery, or whatever it is she's doing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...b488202a9a87cc
What she's doing, speculatively, is heroin. Her pupils are pinpoints in that weird video she shared. The lips are ghastly.

Old 04-05-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
What she's doing, speculatively, is heroin. Her pupils are pinpoints in that weird video she shared. The lips are ghastly.
Yeah, I noticed the pupils too. It looks like she's on something in the vid clip that that those stills were taken from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships