Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2022, 07:43 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
It doesn’t stop at all - especially when grandkids come along. I have a 7-year-old grandson, and I’m terrified of how he is going to grow up and the world he has to live in. His personal life is good (nice, clean house, good parents) but it’s the rest of the world that concerns me.
I feel the same way. I worry about my G'babies very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 07:34 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
It doesn’t stop at all - especially when grandkids come along. I have a 7-year-old grandson, and I’m terrified of how he is going to grow up and the world he has to live in. His personal life is good (nice, clean house, good parents) but it’s the rest of the world that concerns me.
This is all the more on my mind as well, especially with the Russian invasion of Ukraine going on. Hard to imagine anyone would want to get married and have babies in future generations, as the world quickly grinds into something of a disaster all around.

One of the things I've noticed since the pandemic is how the concept of community has really dwindled since I was a kid, but especially in the last several years. We recently reminisced with my brother about how different our teen years were spent in the 80s and 90s compared to how teens today are and the kinds of pressures and concerns they face.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:00 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,429 times
I will say this... I am thankful I never 'sired' any children... what a horrendous world in which - especially now - it is to raise children. IMO, these days... it would be a crime to do so.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:31 AM

700 posts, read 447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
I will say this... I am thankful I never 'sired' any children... what a horrendous world in which - especially now - it is to raise children. IMO, these days... it would be a crime to do so.
I hear ya but disagree, because without the young'uns we'd have given up to let the crotchedly, miserable, old trout ruin the world unabated. They're everywhere.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:21 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,790 times
Happy International Women's Day to all the smart, strong, witty, sassy, and lovely women of City Data Relationships!

(International Men's Day is November 19, so hush up and let us have 24 hours.)

Old 03-08-2022, 10:19 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Happy International Women's Day to all the smart, strong, witty, sassy, and lovely women of City Data Relationships!

(International Men's Day is November 19, so hush up and let us have 24 hours.)
I second

Old 03-08-2022, 04:13 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Just a thought: I would be first in line to work from home again - this time to save gas.

Old 03-09-2022, 08:41 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Just a thought: I would be first in line to work from home again - this time to save gas.
I've been loving working from home. I feel like I got about 2 to 2.5 hours extra each day without the commute to the office. I sometime have to go visit project sites, but most of the time it's working at home.

We're in the process of hiring a new guy for our group and it was hinted that we're probably going to have to work with them in the office mentoring or whatever. I'm hoping at some point I can at least work mostly at home, 2 or 3 days a week.

Save wear and tear on your nerves from traffic. Eating lunch at home more so I can save money there and now with gas prices out of control can save a bit of money on less commuting.

I guess for all of the extroverted social butterflies the lack of co-worker interaction has been hard for them. Not for me, been great actually.

My co-worker/supervisor isn't a bad guy, he just drives me nuts. Talks incessantly and we're about as opposite types of people there could ever be.

Talks endlessly about politics that I don't agree with, never seems to get the hint when I try to change the subject.

LOL, lordy, I want to work from home.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:08 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Yeah even though I've been accused of being a total extrovert, I love working from home, too.

Periodically someone will ask the brass of the company, "when are we going to return to working in the office" and during our company wide webinar meetings, Big Boss keeps saying, "NEVER. We will be hybrid going forward indefinitely." So we have office space still, but they are changing the lease terms for less space and that way we can go in for big meetings, we can train new employees there, and those who want to work in an office space can sign up for one and go in...but nobody has to. Before Covid, the company was growing so fast we were worried about having to lease more space to fit everybody into the office...now we can grow and grow without worrying about that at all. Which we've continued to do. They also found that our personnel are more productive at home than they were in the office, which I know shocked the hell out of our leadership.

I used to think that it was a total pipe dream to ever get to work from home... Honestly the pandemic has improved my position a lot more than it's hurt it. I feel a little survivor's guilt for that I guess, but I'll take it.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:17 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
The ironic thing that's happening in my workplace, is that before the pandemic there was wringing of hands about how we didn't have enough office space for all of the teams. Now that they want us to come back in, they don't see that the logical solution is to let people WFH or split a desk with someone who's in the office alternate days. There's such a push to get "back to normal" that no one's really looking at why we're trying to preserve a system that didn't necessarily work.

I do have to say that part of the reason why WFH hasn't been so bad is that I have a core group of work friends and we've worked together for years. There are people who've been hired since we've been WFH, and them, I don't know too well. As much as people complain about it, I can see the value in just the casual conversations and socializing that happen when you're waiting for the microwave or pass each other in the hall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships