Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2021, 09:33 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I am slightly east of the Rocky Mountains. That whole deal doesn’t look good. Stay safe, Mikala.
I follow a guy who does weather forecasts for Colorado, on Facebook, even though I don't live there anymore. Heck, my kids do, so I like to have a notion what's going on. I hear the snowpack is already looking mighty promising in the high country.

Sounds like you know what you're doing, but nonetheless, be safe up there...

I get to enjoy the novelty of not dealing with snow for a while, I'm rather looking forward to seeing what "winter" looks like here in Phoenix. I understand it does cool down quite a bit, but I don't think they get snow in the valley. I can't even imagine people who have lived here a long time trying to drive in it. That would be scary. I wonder if they get ice...? Guess I'll see.

Living in the Pacific Northwest a while was something else, that's another of those odd little bubbles of very particular weather and ecology. Beautiful place, though, once you get used to the rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 09:33 AM

26 posts, read 52,814 times
I recently talked to a customer service representative. Her name was Seven. Let that sink in lol

Old 10-24-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivera8738 View Post
I recently talked to a customer service representative. Her name was Seven. Let that sink in lol
Did you ask her to assimilate you? I would have.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:40 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srivera8738 View Post
I know a guy named Seven.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-24-2021, 03:03 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I work in an environment where we talk about this stuff a lot, and there are people (who a trans friend calls "tumblrsexuals") who take offense at any little transgression, and who act like a pronoun slip is a hate crime, and others who recognize that the idea of gender binary is pretty entrenched in our society, and we're all doing our best to show respect to people, even if we don't get it right.
I think you've got idiots on either end of the spectrum.

I'm nobody's conservative because of my liberal views on social issues, but I'm finding Bill Maher's voice to be refreshing, he's openly ripping on the far left progressives and how they are getting a bit silly. I'm finding myself agreeing more with the conservatives on some things these days because I think the l left has gone a bit weird.

They conflate liberals and progressive leftist and they are different. I still sort of lump self in with classic liberals, not this new crowd.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:11 PM

Historically speaking, it seems every time we have a societal shift, (civil rights, ERA, etc.) there are some who go to the extreme. I'm fine with that in general because it usually sets in the middle when all is said and done. Perhaps you need that one extreme, to counteract the previous (opposite extreme), and once those outer boundaries have been set, the middle becomes apparent.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Historically speaking, it seems every time we have a societal shift, (civil rights, ERA, etc.) there are some who go to the extreme. I'm fine with that in general because it usually sets in the middle when all is said and done. Perhaps you need that one extreme, to counteract the previous (opposite extreme), and once those outer boundaries have been set, the middle becomes apparent.
There may be some merit to this. It follows physics in some ways in that things generally tend to find neutrality in many ways. Extremes tend to level out in the same ways as water seeking it's own level, etc.

I openly praise MLK, civil rights, and women's rights battles of the 60s. Those were noble and much needed. I think many people back then knew as such, even though many people weren't supportive.

I don't want to go too far off into politics, but some of the things the far left pushes arent noble in my opinion. The logical extensions of some views doesn't advance positive outcomes in my opinion.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

I don't want to go too far off into politics, but some of the things the far left pushes arent noble in my opinion. The logical extensions of some views doesn't advance positive outcomes in my opinion.

I think the same could be said of all the major societal changes over the centuries, but yeah, not everything results in positive change. I don't think that should be a reason not to make the changes though.

Whenever people are involved, it will end up with some negatives.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think you've got idiots on either end of the spectrum.

I'm nobody's conservative because of my liberal views on social issues, but I'm finding Bill Maher's voice to be refreshing, he's openly ripping on the far left progressives and how they are getting a bit silly. I'm finding myself agreeing more with the conservatives on some things these days because I think the l left has gone a bit weird.

They conflate liberals and progressive leftist and they are different. I still sort of lump self in with classic liberals, not this new crowd.
Husband and I watch Bill Maher every week. How about that "Slow Moving Coup" monologue, huh? WOW.

I don't always agree with him, but on this sort of thing...yeah, and ESPECIALLY the whole thing of, "stop hating half of America, they aren't going anywhere." Yes. I so hope not to see a civil war consume America during my lifetime.

I get most of my political news from the writings of a historian. Can't say enough good things about her. Heather Cox Richardson. She posts daily writings on Facebook or else they can be found here:

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/

(You DO NOT have to give them an email, if that screen pops up, you can click "let me read it first" and bypass it. There is no paywall, nor do I believe that there are ads. It's a pretty clean site.)

And the day after Bill did that very notable editorial, she mentioned it in her writing.

I got the same kick out of that, as I did when Lewis Black mentioned her...like some of my favorite smart people talking about my other favorite smart people, why that does something for me I don't know, but it does.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think the same could be said of all the major societal changes over the centuries, but yeah, not everything results in positive change. I don't think that should be a reason not to make the changes though.

Whenever people are involved, it will end up with some negatives.
Yes, people screw things up, I agree.

Major movements or groups tend to become corrupted or skew course. I used to be a card carrying member of the NAACP some years back until I started to learn of the corruption and mismanagement of funds.

I still support minority groups and those lower on the socio-economic ladder through a mission in my city that has been around a very long time and is legit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships