Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:25 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,861,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
Thanks for sharing this article! I think it explains to an extent what just happened to me. I definitely had those ups and downs during my last relationship, and I think he dumped me when he was in a down wave moment. In many ways, we were a really great match.
Yes, the author said that many, many what could have been great relationships have ended this way. It's a shame. Some people just like to keep moving quickly when anything at all shows up that isn't perfect. I think people with more options are more likely to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 07:14 PM

42,762 posts, read 53,011,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes, the author said that many, many what could have been great relationships have ended this way. It's a shame. Some people just like to keep moving quickly when anything at all shows up that isn't perfect. I think people with more options are more likely to do this.
Yep had it happen to me.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:40 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,856,308 times
Yes, I did this once because he was ready for a serious, committed relationship and I was not. He was a few years older than me and far more mature at the time. I did not know how to handle his advances and so I just freaked out and ran. It was the wrong way to handle it, but really it was for the better because I just wasn't ready.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:20 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,367,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Yes, I did this once because he was ready for a serious, committed relationship and I was not. He was a few years older than me and far more mature at the time. I did not know how to handle his advances and so I just freaked out and ran. It was the wrong way to handle it, but really it was for the better because I just wasn't ready.
You could have had the decency to tell him that you just weren't ready instead of ghosting on him!

Old 02-14-2016, 10:28 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,856,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
You could have had the decency to tell him that you just weren't ready instead of ghosting on him!
Yes, I could have. I was young, it happened. We're friends now.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:58 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,399,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Even people that supposedly know how to screen out people sometimes end up getting shocked.

You can't always know who's dysfunctional or not, at least early in a relationship. Anyone that says otherwise is lying, in my opinion.
Not early but within the 6 dates rule you can get somewhat of the big picture.

But nonetheless it´s sometimes a shocker.

Sure, there are a lot of chameleons out there, but usually you really know someone when it´s under pressure.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Even people that supposedly know how to screen out people sometimes end up getting shocked.

You can't always know who's dysfunctional or not, at least early in a relationship. Anyone that says otherwise is lying, in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post

Sure, there are a lot of chameleons out there, but usually you really know someone when it´s under pressure.
I think you're both right, but in the situation I was thinking of when I started this thread, I had been dating a man for about 5 weeks and it was pretty intense, and then the day after an extremely romantic date, he just called it off--muttered something about being scared and that was the end of it.

The thing is, from what I could tell, he was never dysfunctional--came from a great family with close relationships to all his relatives, decent career that he loves, no obvious emotional problems. He stated from the beginning that he was looking for a long-term relationship and was tired of the dating scene and was looking for his "last relationship" and was truly hoping it would be me. And then I think, things just got too real.

Some would call me naive, but I do believe that he was sincere and the reason I think so is that when things turned, he was incapable of pretending and that's when he called it off. But I just wonder, how could things just do a 180 like that, and yet I've had it happen to me as well--I usually will go on a bit longer though just to make sure it's not a mood.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post

This made me remember a prior date though--it was after our 5th date I think and I had gone out to the health club that night and my phone was in my purse but of course I didn't hear it as I was on the elliptical. When I got out to the car I checked my phone and he had burned it up! There were about 3-4 messages on there and he had gotten increasingly agitated that he couldn't get hold of me and then when I got home, he'd called my home phone as well and it was even worse. Yikes! I did realize then that there was a problem. A shocker, as you say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships