Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 01:12 PM

477 posts, read 317,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Noooooooooooo....what he said was "Probably half (actually more) of the weddings i've been to in my life came from "one night stands" (hook ups) that never ended."

That is totally different, but still very interesting. You need to slow your roll and read before you explode all over the page.
You need to not tell me what I need to do. You need to understand that I exactly read what he said, I find it outlandish. You are free to agree with him, me or neither, but make sure you slow your own roll first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 01:18 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningPoeFrost View Post
You need to not tell me what I need to do. You need to understand that I exactly read what he said, I find it outlandish. You are free to agree with him, me or neither, but make sure you slow your own roll first.

Then why did you completely misrepresent what I said?

And what is outlandish of people marrying people they meet and go home with?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:20 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,282,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

I did. Though not home but tent.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:26 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,936,974 times
"A lot of marriages are the result of one-night stands" (what timber said) is not the same thing as "A lot of one-night stands result in marriage" (what BPF read).

Mine wasn't the result of a one-night stand, but pretty close to it.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:34 PM

477 posts, read 317,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

You said, "Stop? Why should it stop? Probably half (actually more) of the weddings i've been to in my life came from "one night stands" (hook ups) that never ended.

That is outlandish.

You are saying, based on you personal experience, that ONS more often than not end in marriage. And while that can be true occasionally, such a statement ignores the fact that most (way less than 50 percent) ONS don't. Not to mention that they can be dangerous, much more dangerous than driving a car (as was you analogy). I personally don't believe, that a good parent would ever encourage what you seem to in the bolded quote. You see, it's one thing to argue a point for the sake of such in a forum, but I doubt you would encourage it with your children should you have them. But you might actually be that guy.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:36 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,282,458 times
Quote:
You said, "Stop? Why should it stop? Probably half (actually more) of the weddings i've been to in my life came from "one night stands" (hook ups) that never ended.

That is outlandish.

You are saying, based on you personal experience, that ONS more often than not end in marriage.
Do you not understand that the converse of an assertion is not necessarily true? He made a statement about marriages. 50% of marriages. He made no assertion about the percentage of one night stands that result in marriage.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:38 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,340,189 times
Quote:

That is outlandish.

You are saying, based on you personal experience, that ONS more often than not end in marriage. And while that can be true occasionally, such a statement ignores the fact that most (way less than 50 percent) ONS don't. Not to mention that they can be dangerous, much more dangerous than driving a car (as was you analogy). I personally don't believe, that a good parent would ever encourage what you seem to in the bolded quote. You see, it's one thing to argue a point for the sake of such in a forum, but I doubt you would encourage it with your children should you have them. But you might actually be that guy.

No, I am not saying that ONS more often than not end in marriage. I said probably half (or more) of the weddings I went to came from ONS.

Those are completely different statements. They are in no way the same thing. I have zero idea why you think they may be the same.

And I never said I would encourage anyone to have a ONS. I said they should do what is right for them.

Can a ONS be dangerous? Maybe rarely so, especially if drugs/alcohol are used and no protection is used, but they can also be a ton of fun. Connecting with new people and having hot sex can be a ton of fun. A lot of men and women love them. Personally, I've only had a few in my life, I'm just not suave enough to pull them off.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:45 PM

20,711 posts, read 16,626,289 times
Quote:
You're gonna stroke out, BPF...I'm not a great fan of ONS but sometimes they happen and when they do, sometimes they turn into something more. I think that's more often the case when both are a little older and know what they want, and they want to settle down. They pick better right out of the chute and then they know better and faster if the person they picked was right for the longer term.

So yeah, a ONS isn't REALLY a ONS when it continues - does it EVER become respectable, or at least acceptable to you?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:58 PM

1,038 posts, read 911,509 times
The only reason people aren't having sex is because of Fear of Exposure.

And maybe Fear of Pregnancy.

Ah the 60s...they gave us Free Love then turned around and said Hang On It Was Only Meant for Us, Not For You

Thusly S1ut shaming was born

Old 02-12-2016, 02:18 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,926,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
The only reason people aren't having sex is because of Fear of Exposure.

And maybe Fear of Pregnancy.

Ah the 60s...they gave us Free Love then turned around and said Hang On It Was Only Meant for Us, Not For You

Thusly S1ut shaming was born
**** shaming was born in the 60's? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships