Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:29 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,184,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I was a bartender at the E and NCO clubs on two different bases....I saw it plenty....the pretty ones went for officers...the skanks went for the fresh young and naive ones. Thing it...for these women it was a step up in life style for them...as much as a mansion would be.

It was pathetic when a unit would deploy...the wives hit the bars force...and they weren't going home alone.
I used to follow this heffa on Instagram who was married to a man in uniform. While he was deployed and serving his country, I would see her posting provocative photos of herself, posting pics of other shirtless guys (not celebs, regular guys she probably talked to on there) talking about how sexy they were and liking **** pictures on there - like, actual naked photos of other men.

Who knows what she was probably doing offline if she was so bold to do that on social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 11:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
I can't speak to the whole having a "weakness" for military members, since I was actually actively anti-dating military guys for most of my twenties and thirties. Primarily because I was at a point in my career where the lifestyle of being at the government's beck and call as far as where you would be located did not appeal to me at all, and also because, anecdotally, my own experience had told me that in dating military guys, I would be unlikely to find one with compatible social/political views.

Then, at age 35, I happened to meet an awesome guy with whom I had tons in common. Turned out he was a Chief Petty Officer. Had to rethink that whole, "Military guys aren't for me," thing. Because, as it turns out, it wasn't about "military guys." It was about finding a good guy...who happened, as it turned out, to be military. And a liberal Democrat. And a former inner city school teacher. And a volunteer with an animal rescue. And, just all-around awesome. Our first wedding anniversary is this weekend.

The military lifestyle isn't for everyone. There are aspects of it that I don't care for...not least among them being around a lot of "hoo-rah" types who aren't as cool as my husband. But, bigger picture, also working as an educator with a lot of families who are being put through the wringer by the travails of lengthy deployments, various instabilities and upheaval that arise with dual military parents in a household, PTSD issues and their impact on families, high unemployment for spouses due to frequent moves and the backburnering of education related to said moves, etc. But there are really awesome things about being a military spouse, as well. In many ways, I got it just right for myself, because I didn't marry into the military, as many do, as a very young woman and have to put education and career on hold, or struggle to accomplish it in whatever fashion best accommodated my spouse, his command and the needs of the U.S. government. I already had all that stuff situated. So it's been working out well for me/us. My spouse is in a role that he really enjoys and finds personally rewarding. We are happy.

Lots of service members and their spouses are not. There are a lot of reasons for this. It's NOT always an "Wow, the skanky cheating spouse" thing, either. I have known more than one marriage to break apart due to the service member getting close to fellow troops at work, whether in theater, on ships, at home. The whole "cheating trailer trash hag dependa" thing makes for good Springer-like entertainment, I guess, but there are lots of military marriages that don't go the distance due to infidelity and other negative and/or inappropriate behavior on the part of the service member, as well. It is absolutely NOT unheard of for the vaunted men and women who are out serving their country to also be cheating on their spouses while doing so. Being a service member unfortunately does not make one a faithful spouse, magically. Some are, some aren't, just like any other profession. And LOADS of marriages in the military don't last simply because, more so than in many, many other populations, people get married TOO DAMNED YOUNG.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:50 AM

245 posts, read 219,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Aw....so you're secretly jealous of military guys?
Why would you think that?

Quote:
Marines are dumb, according to you....?
They are. They do a great job, but they really are, on average, dumber. I respect what they do, wouldnt do it myself, that does not change the fact that most marines are dumb as a box of rocks, especially the enlisted men

Quote:
Gosh I'd pay to see you say that to an actual Marine's face.
They know it too... I probably wouldnt say it to someone's face, as I am not trying to directly disrespect any one person, just generalizing here

Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 AM

245 posts, read 219,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Sounds like believe007 is a sucker for a man in uniform....
Pretty much, there is a term for that which escapes me at the moment, a military groupie in essence

Old 01-21-2015, 10:45 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,025,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmith357 View Post
They are. They do a great job, but they really are, on average, dumber. I respect what they do, wouldnt do it myself, that does not change the fact that most marines are dumb as a box of rocks, especially the enlisted men
I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say you don't know too many Marines, enlisted or otherwise. Now more than ever the military is a thinking man's game. Some are more successful than others, but across the board I'd be willing to bet the critical thinking capacity, judgment and decision making ability of an average Marine far surpasses that of the general public within similar age groups. I don't know you or your background but you are projecting a very limited understanding of the topic about which you speak.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:55 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,184,455 times
Quote:

They know it too... I probably wouldnt say it to someone's face, as I am not trying to directly disrespect any one person, just generalizing here
My dad was a Marine who served in Vietnam. After that, he went on to graduate from SMU with honors and then got his Masters.

I really, really appreciate you generalizing and stereotyping Marines. By the way, when you generalize Marines, you are in fact disrespecting them.

Last edited by ATG5; 01-21-2015 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 03:02 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,923,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Lmao, give me 3 months, it's still bulking season for me.
Pump it up!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:46 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,192,837 times
Quote:

You ever hear Tony Randall describe what it means to "assume"........?

That illustrates what you do right here......
About Marines.

I bet you're like 16.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:23 AM

39,277 posts, read 27,677,316 times
Quote:

They are. They do a great job, but they really are, on average, dumber.
What a poorly chosen ad hominem attack on people you don't even know. Fail.

"cowards cut and run, Marines never do"

Old 01-25-2015, 06:11 PM

354 posts, read 281,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Hi There, I'm single now after my divorce in 07' .I'm independent and I've decided that the best match for me will be a military guy. He can be away ,(I'm ok with that) because I'm doing good by myself and I'm okay with long distance relation.
Is there any online dating website ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships