Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm too much of a chicken to get one, plus I can't find an image that I would want to keep on my body permanently. Scared of committment I guess.

you know i always said that too

but the other day i decided that maybe i'll get one, just to remind myself that i'm not permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
So you are not going to answer what your definition of art is?
I did. Sorta. By telling you tattoos I did not consider art. There are those that will define anything as "art". I like some paintings and some sculptures. I do not care for others though they are still art to me. Vandalism is not art to me though there are some that wish to claim it to be. Covering things with vast swaths of cloth (cristo?) just seems foolish but it is declared art. When the definition of something becomes so nebulous as to be open to anyones interpretation it really has no meaning. And yes, if you had read my posts, I have seen a fair amount of tattoos some considered "art". I just think they look foolish on a person. Couple that with the fact it is bad for the skin over time and you have something like smoking. Not a good thing for a person to do.

Would I reject a gal that haves them? As I mentioned it is one part of the whole picture. I would consider it a negative. People are made up of all kinds of negative qualities and positives qualities. To be interested in a person I have to feel their Positive qualities are greater than the negatives. Thus they have one strike against them for permanently marking their body. This is different from scars created through accident. In those cases the person had no choice thus has no negatives due to having them. You can say I have negative qualities and you would be correct. You just can not dictate that I accept yours.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times
I love my tattoo....it's cute and it can't be seen unless I want it to be seen.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
You just can not dictate that I accept yours.
I never did that. I'm not trying to get you or anyone to agree with me, so far all I'm trying to get to is what you consider art. And that it's wrong to say that people are trashy, followers, or criminals just because they have tattoos. That's is the complete purpose of me posting in this thread. Nothing more.

So far I have your definition of art is: not tattoos, vandalism, or cloth draping. And I guess that's all you're going to give me. *shrug*

Everytime a person has an arguement against tattoos they mention crap flash, prison tats, and people who get a random something because their friend has it or they think that generic tribals accent thier muscles. I don't know why that keeps being brought up because we both agree that's not art or even (I believe) the core spirit of tattoos.

About flash being more common than custom work, I don't have any proof of either, I just figured: a lot of people get one or two flash tattoos but people who get custom work are more likely to be pretty well covered or at the very least get more tattoos than the flash people. So I figured it probably evened out.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
When the definition of something becomes so nebulous as to be open to anyones interpretation it really has no meaning.
Art is like beauty, there cannot and will never be one definition agreed upon by everyone. And that's how it should be.

It has meaning to each individual differently. That doesn't mean it has no meaning.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Art is like beauty, there cannot and will never be one definition agreed upon by everyone. And that's how it should be.

It has meaning to each individual differently. That doesn't mean it has no meaning.
If something can not be agreed upon the majority it than has no real meaning. If you get the majority to agree tattoos are "art" than whether I like it or not becomes meaningless, it is "art".

Sorry that you do not like to be lumped in with those "people are trashy, followers, or criminals". You are judged by the company you keep. Another area that seems to elude people.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
If something can not be agreed upon the majority it than has no real meaning.
I disagree.

Quote:
Sorry that you do not like to be lumped in with those "people are trashy, followers, or criminals". You are judged by the company you keep. Another area that seems to elude people.
But what if I don't hang out with those people? For some reason you just assumed that I do...

Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I disagree.

But what if I don't hang out with those people? For some reason you just assumed that I do...
Actually I made no assumptions I just quoted back yours. You said you did not wished to be judged as being like those people. Just because those people had tattoos also. I am sorry but if you look like a duck, and quack like a duck most people will assume you are a duck and not a precious swan doing duck imitations.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxiclove View Post
I agree. As an artist, I can respect some well done ink. However, I've strolled down the beach and saw my share of cheap and tacky too. I've met some guys and girls with beautiful tattoos that really mean something to them. They spent time thinking about what they wanted and why and how they wanted it to look. Like with anything, you get what you pay for. More often than not, the cheap and tacky stuff was done with little thought.

As far as this topic goes, I think it's foolish to write someone off as undatable because they have tattoos. You cannot and should not judge all by a few. If a man were to stick up his nose at me because I have a tattoo, so what.

Hypothetically, let's say you meet this great girl. You go out on many dates, you really like her. Then, she takes her shirt off and has a few tattoos that you did not know about. Are you going to drop this cute, funny, charming girl now?
Nah, they'll try their hardest to sleep with her because they're SOOOO CLOSE to seeing boobs...then they'll brag to their friends about what a ***** she was and never call her again. Thus, the stereotype continues.

Quote:
If something can not be agreed upon the majority it than has no real meaning. If you get the majority to agree tattoos are "art" than whether I like it or not becomes meaningless, it is "art".

None of my friends are 'trashy or criminals'. Followers...well, everyone is a follower so I don't really count that as a legit descriptor. My friends are wealthy, educated and just plain really good people.

If I were to step off one of our private jets showing my sleeve (which I do...often) I wonder how someone like you would judge me? Private jet... tattoos... head explosion?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

None of my friends are 'trashy or criminals'. Followers...well, everyone is a follower so I don't really count that as a legit descriptor. My friends are wealthy, educated and just plain really good people.

If I were to step off one of our private jets showing my sleeve (which I do...often) I wonder how someone like you would judge me? Private jet... tattoos... head explosion?
Once again, I did not come up with those terms.

As for your last sentence, I would probably look at the ostentatious display of wealth and come up with a completely different judgment (it would not be positive). Wealthy people who display it have quite a few negative connotations that spring to my mind. Though I will not mention any.

So your negatives would rise. What positives do you have to counteract the narcissism that you are evidencing?

Last edited by MattB4; 07-29-2010 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Question and spelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships