Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 11:01 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times

Advertisements

Hello CD. I'd like your advice on an odd little situation I've found myself in, seeing as how I've been off the dating scene for a very long time.

I recently started classes at university and it's going pretty well overall. After a long time working in the private sector it's refreshing to be back in the classroom, and it affords me good opportunities to socialize and meet women as well.

In one class in particular, my Arabic class, there's a rather cute Jewish girl who I've taken to chatting with. For the first two weeks I actually didn't talk to her much but last Thursday she approached me at the bus stop and chatted with me, and since she takes the same bus as I do we've been chatting quite a bit. It turns out she's incredibly intelligent, articulate and very political. We spent the first afternoon talking about Zionism (she's actually anti-Zionist) and situation in Palestine. She's basically perfect, even if she's not my usual type, physically speaking (not that someone with little dating success can afford to have a specific "type".)

All was going well, and it seemed that she was trying to get me to ask her out in the way she talked to me. Then all of a sudden, as we were chatting on Monday after class, she mentions a boyfriend. AAaarrrgh. Every time! That would usually be the end of the story. And yet, when we were hanging out yesterday, she seemed, if anything, even more interested. The only thing that was lacking was actually physical touching, like a hand on the knee or on the shoulder, that I notice other women often throw out as a way to show interest, though we did eventually part with a hug.

Honestly I wouldn't have made this thread if it was a simple situation of "Oh, well, she has a boyfriend like every other girl I would be interested in, time to move on." I would be perfectly fine being platonic with her, and yet she seems so...into me? I think it's likely I'm misreading her signals, and that she's just really friendly, but she's not an extrovert by nature. In fact, like me, she has depression and anxiety, a fact she related to me pretty early in our conversations, which I would think shows quite a degree of openness. Another possibility is that she could just be using me as an emotional (and oddly enough, political) sounding board, and that her boyfriend can't fulfill this role.

Halp Obi Wan CD. You're my only hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 11:10 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Even if someone seems interested, if they say they have a SO, then they probably aren't interested. Or they are a cheater. Neither good. It happens to women too. I remember meeting a guy in college who seemed really interested. He was kind of shy with others and I figured he was just too shy to ask me out, so I suggested meeting up one weekend to hang out. And he dropped the girlfriend bomb. I didn't talk to him anymore after that. If you are cool just being friends, I would leave it at that.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:22 AM

836 posts, read 2,947,288 times
she just want to be friends with you.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:22 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,454 times
I think she is interested in you as a friend, but not romantically. It's obvious she enjoys hanging out with you, and she can probably talk to you about things that greatly interest her, that she can't discuss with anyone else. Sorry Man, it sucks I know, but those are the breaks.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:30 AM

I suppose it was more a case of wishful thinking than anything else. It's always the ones that seem to be the most compatible that are in relationships.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:31 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,079 times
It's a shame that women and men can't be friends like they are with the same sex. If one finds the other attractive and fun, they think that other person's interest means something.

For me, I try not to be overly flirty or friendly to the opposite sex if I'm not interested, think they aren't into me, or am in a relationship. Unfortunately, I think this sometimes has kept me from getting asked out by someone I'm interested in.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:35 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
It's a shame that women and men can't be friends like they are with the same sex. If one finds the other attractive and fun, they think that other person's interest means something.

They can if people are mature and communicate well.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post

For me, I try not to be overly flirty or friendly to the opposite sex if I'm not interested, think they aren't into me, or am in a relationship. Unfortunately, I think this sometimes has kept me from getting asked out by someone I'm interested in.
I agree for the most part. I'd just like to restate that I have no problem having a platonic relationship with this woman, but I thought she might have been pushing for something more until the boyfriend came up.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:39 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Hmmm… I guess I have a slightly different take on this seeing as how I've been the woman in that scenario many times. Sometimes I really did feel just a platonic affection for the guy - and sometimes it was more. I was engaged when I met my husband. Never say never!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:43 AM

32 posts, read 33,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I agree for the most part. I'd just like to restate that I have no problem having a platonic relationship with this woman, but I thought she might have been pushing for something more until the boyfriend came up.

Sounds like a case of shared intellect and you find brains and beauty a good combo. Respect the boundary of her relationship. Make friends. Continue to hold conversations with her. Inevitably, you'll probably meet someone in her social sphere that is single and smart as well.

Friendships with a little chemistry and tension are worthwhile. Just don't ruin it by making an inappropriate pass!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships