Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:03 AM

529 posts, read 705,100 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing people who say "yeah, I used to do x, but that was when I was immature." And that's basically a throw-away line because all it does is vaguely acknowledge you did something that you're not proud of, but who cares? It's like "yeah, I used to drive drunk, but I was immature and I don't do that anymore." On a remorse scale, that's like a 0 or 1.

So with regards to relationships, was there ever a person you did something to or treated a certain way that you now look back on and have actual remorse about? Like if you hurt someone, did you actually apologize? Or is it just that you say to yourself "yeah, that was wrong" and feel that's good enough? It could be to anyone, whether it was someone you dated or someone you were married to or someone who just asked you out or even just a friend. Note: this isn't a "I regret that I didn't ask this person out" thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 09:10 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,149,623 times
Yuppers. I have.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:11 AM

42,762 posts, read 53,084,741 times
Yep and immaturity is an excuse. Half the dumb things in this world are done by people who haven't learned enough about life and consequences.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:16 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,861,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upndown View Post
I keep hearing people who say "yeah, I used to do x, but that was when I was immature." And that's basically a throw-away line because all it does is vaguely acknowledge you did something that you're not proud of, but who cares? It's like "yeah, I used to drive drunk, but I was immature and I don't do that anymore." On a remorse scale, that's like a 0 or 1.

So with regards to relationships, was there ever a person you did something to or treated a certain way that you now look back on and have actual remorse about? Like if you hurt someone, did you actually apologize? Or is it just that you say to yourself "yeah, that was wrong" and feel that's good enough? It could be to anyone, whether it was someone you dated or someone you were married to or someone who just asked you out or even just a friend. Note: this isn't a "I regret that I didn't ask this person out" thing.
In terms of romantic relationships, no.

Benefits of being a late bloomer/undesirable. I didn't enter into relationships until after the average age of marriage in the US.

I have rejected one woman, but I don't regret it because it was over a compatibility issue. I also knew how to handle it perfectly because I have been rejected so many times.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:18 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,291,171 times
Sure - there are things that I feel bad about that I did in my past. And sometimes I don't even realize how much I probably hurt someone until years later. Do I apologize now? No - I think it would be really weird if I did. Most of the people I realize that I probably hurt more than I knew at the time are all happily married or in good relationships - and most of them I'm not in close contact with. I think it would be selfish of me to bring up things that happened years ago. And the fact of the matter is - we all get hurt. It's a part of life. We get hurt, we heal, we move on. I certainly don't need apologies from people in my past that hurt me. I'd like to think that we all learn from our past mistakes and that helps us to become better people in the long run.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:25 AM

10,929 posts, read 11,796,149 times
There are more things I have regretted not doing than things that I have done and regretted.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:04 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,502,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upndown View Post

Absolutely. I think most psychologically healthy people have regrets. Only narcissists and sociopaths have no remorse.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,059,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Only narcissists and sociopaths have no remorse.

yolo , live for the moment

live life, no regrets

live it up drink it down baby

Old 10-19-2013, 11:35 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,237,341 times
I regret not apologizing when I should have.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,137,017 times
Yes, I have.

Everyone makes mistakes and that's why I believe in second chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships