Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 07:00 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,660,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
LOL?

And I'm on the "men should dress up" side of the fence! But this, just....no.
Seriously.... when did Starbucks become classy? I mean, there's one in the grocery store I frequent...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:22 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,817,389 times
Please take note:

There is something about suit jacket sleeves that are too long that make me go off the wall insane. It makes me cringe every time. Most people I've seen have suit sleeves that are entirely too long, sometimes by nearly 3 inches.

A less frequent flagrant violation is pants that are too long. I'll never forget walking into the UN and seeing that some of the front desk staff and elevator attendants had so much fabric bunched around the ankles that multiple folds were visible and the fabric around the heels was torn.

If your shoulders are wider than your waist then get your suit jackets tailored at the waist. If you have a bit of a belly, sometimes a waistcoat can conceal it. It is the little things that turn a good suit into a great suit, regardless of price. It is about fit. You'll find that in general people will say your suit looks really nice, better than most, but that they can't quite put a finger on why.

I wear custom suits and tuxedos for night events everyday. It is who I am. I do it for me, not for anyone else, but people take notice. I am not going to change who I am for anyone else. Cufflinks, velvet or silk suspenders, pocket squares, pocket watches, lapel pins, hats (outside), mirror shades, sleeve garters, and perfectly coordinate color per color wheel theory is the norm. I get compliments everyday, and the older women comment on how they haven't seen people routinely dress like that since the 1960s.

I think it is hilarious that in certain workplaces, a modestly tailored 3 piece suit with a waistcoat is seen as "fashion forward" when it is actually deeply rooted in conservative attire.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,660,707 times
The Complete Guide to Men's Suits: 57 Rules of Style: Rules of Style : Details

My bf sent me this as an apology when I mentioned he should get his suit tailored. I was right after all

Plus, there's some eye candy for the ladies while the men read about proper suit tailoring

Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,165,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The Complete Guide to Men's Suits: 57 Rules of Style: Rules of Style : Details

My bf sent me this as an apology when I mentioned he should get his suit tailored. I was right after all

Plus, there's some eye candy for the ladies while the men read about proper suit tailoring
...Is it weird that my mom sent me that article literally yesterday for my birthday?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,222,989 times
It's not that hard.

Before the other person can choose to talk to you, before that person can peer deep into your inner soul and swoon at what he or she finds, that person has to like what he or she sees. First impressions matter a great deal whether you're at a party or walking into an interview.

If you look put together, the other person will thing you have your act together. If you look as if your clothes have been tossed onto you with a pitchfork, the other person will think you're a slob until given reasons to think otherwise. Hey, I'm not telling you to dress yourself in some ridiculous, over-the-top Zoolander crap, but flip through a GQ or Esquire and see what makes you look sharp without looking like some kind of weirdo.

I'm no fop by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know how to dress for the occasion. To me, one of the great misconceptions are that jeans are comfortable. Yes, they can be. But there are times when other fabrics such as khaki or linen or wool are far more comfortable for the wearer -- with the added benefit of being more appealing to the other person.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times
Definitely a turn on. I'm generally a sharp dressed woman so it only makes sense.

I like dressed up with flair though.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:22 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,047,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Having good manners IMHO means you were raised with a decent set of values.

Being well groomed (for me) means that your keep your beard trimmed (if you have one) and that you shower. It doesn't mean you have to have your nails buffed.

What a man wears depends on what he is doing at the time. I would not expect that he wears jeans to a wedding. However, if a man is wearing work clothes or some sort of company uniform, that simply tells me that he gets his backside up every morning and goes to work, just like I do. He isn't sponging off anyone, so he automatically has a vote from me. If he is greasy and sweaty, that just tells me he has a tough job and works hard.

What is not attractive in the least is any man who thinks I want to see his pants down around his knees and thinks I want to see his underwear. I want to see a man with his shoes laced up and his hat on correctly - not backwards and not tilted.

Just my opinion, of course.
You are going to see my boxer briefs rather you like it or not.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:00 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,055,928 times
I like very clean cut men who do dress appropriately for the occasion. Blue jeans and a white dress shirt are the cats meow to me!

And do NOT wear a tie that is too short for you.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:02 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,055,928 times
And don't get me going on men who do not remove their hat during the playing of the national anthem or when they enter a building. Baseballs caps in a restaurant ... ughhhhhhhhh

Old 03-10-2014, 02:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,507,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm a T shirt and jeans kind of dude.

Tan shoes and pink shoelaces
A polka dot vest and man oh man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships