Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:23 PM

174 posts, read 230,307 times

Advertisements

Gosh, since I'm an ex-wife, I have a good rebuttal for each of the above statements. There are two sides of the story. Really, if things are so bad, you're better off divorced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,947,750 times
I have read this letter before.

The kids are the one that suffer.

Yeah...he probably got one over on his wife by giving her the whole load when leaving but the kids are the one's that suffer.

Maybe we could read this letter all over again and add, "..but the kids are the one's that suffer" at the end of every line.

I think we all need to realize it take two to fight. If you can win an emmy for best actor in the family and maintain a somewhat stable home just for the sake of the kids then you should.

I don't want to hear responses saying it isn't a good enviroment to be that way. Kids don't care what is going on as long as Mom and Dad are at home with them. It means the world to them. Security...stability. You owe them that.

There are certain circumstances that will not permit this but if it is all the above things then you can be a man and take it like a man. Be the better person.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,369 times
Default Welcome to the Suffering Club

Seems like everyone suffers when marriage doesn't work out. The husband. The wife. The children. The dogs. And why doesn't it work out? OMG! The better question is "How does it ever work out?" What with women being from Venus and men from Mars. That alone is enough to fill the challenge plate. Add to that multiple careers, financial issues, separate growth issues, different cultures, religious beliefs, etc. and it's a small wonder it ever works.

IMO, the children are obviously such a focus because they are the innocents and they can't take care of themselves (ditto the pets to some degree).

Interestingly enough, hearing parents (mostly moms) say "I do everything for my children" makes me want to sit them down for a little talkie. Enough already. Yes. Take care of them. Let them know they are loved. Help them be kind and compassionate children. Teach them to be self sufficient. But don't neglect yourself. A better you will make a better him, her and them. And if it doesn't work out, at least you'll be left somewhat empowered.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,275 times
Hasn't Dr. Laura been divorced like 5 times?

Oh wait, that's Delilah.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated View Post
Gosh, since I'm an ex-wife, I have a good rebuttal for each of the above statements. There are two sides of the story. Really, if things are so bad, you're better off divorced.
Agreed. A lot of people get married that shouldn't, mainly because culture and society no longer fosters the skills or mental fortitude to do what it takes to make a relationship last.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
It's a sad letter and the whole thing probably could have been avoided if the couple had spent more time on their own relationship and let the other stuff slide. Neglect never turns out well in the end. And I agree there's two sides to every story. We are only seeing one side. I'm sure the wife has a list of complaints that are equally valid. They stopped working as a team and appreciating each other's efforts. Other things were more important.

The whole staying together for the kids thing can be so over rated. What does growing up in a home where mom and dad barely tolerate each other do to those same kids? Kids grow up thinking that's a NORMAL relationship and what they are supposed to have when they grow up. And so another generation is poisoned and doomed to repeat the mistakes of their parents.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times
I read the entire thing and it's moving, true there are two sides to every story but, I think the guy is for real, having divorced my hubby and in hindsight, I did a lot of these things to him and really ended up just screwing myself. Still a good decision but the guy makes a good point and I know from experience it's true.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,366,150 times
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but it sure isn't everyones! She's still very popular and has her radio program. I started listening to her back in 1989! I just happen to believe in her beliefs concerning children, family, relationships and living together. As far as her relationship with her mom........what's your point? There are plenty of people that don't have a relationship with there parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Dr. Laura is a crazy b*tch. She can't even maintain a healthy relationship with her own mother.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:21 PM

115 posts, read 274,019 times
I stopped listening to her when she asked a rape victim what she was doing and where she was that caused her to be raped.

I think its really the little things that we do that keep a marriage together. Telling your loved one that they are a great spouse/parent/lover is as important as going to an employer's party/picnic/etc. Putting "love notes" in his/her lunch and making sure to hide pictures of the kids in his/her suit case. He brings me chocolate at certain times of the month, and I tell him not to come straight home, but to go take an hour for himself, once in a while. We have 19 years behind us, the good, the bad, and the ugly---but we have supported each other and kept doing the little things that let the other know we care.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:11 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but it sure isn't everyones! She's still very popular and has her radio program. I started listening to her back in 1989! I just happen to believe in her beliefs concerning children, family, relationships and living together. As far as her relationship with her mom........what's your point? There are plenty of people that don't have a relationship with there parents.
She's a hypocritical church nut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships