Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
When my father died, I wrote a letter to her. I was reaching out to several people, anyone who I thought might help. She wrote me a very nice letter back.
I know she's protective of kids, so, she's ok in my book. You don't have to agree with her politics or her bluntness. I don't always, but I believe she's got her heart in the right place.
What a nice thing, thanks for sharing that

I think she's definitely got a style (blunt like you said) that is not going to appeal to everyone. But I agree, her heart is in the right place and she gives good solid advice most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
I'm talking about Dr. Laura Schlessinger (sp?)

And yes, she has been with her husband for some time. Her current husband was actually her parting gift from an affair.

To be honest, I have nothing against her. I had an ex who would insist on taking advice from her crazy mother, and that advice was always some half-cropped bullsht she would hear on Dr. Laura and make it true. If some girl's boyfriend was cheating on her and he was near my age, drove a similar car, and had brown hair - then that meant I was also cheating on my girlfriend.

So in essence, Dr. Laura made my life hell for a long time when I was trying to make MY PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP work.

I also strongly dislike ultra right-wing propeganda...Ultra left for that matter as well.
LOL, Dr. Laura didn't even KNOW you, so how in the heck did she REALLY make your life "hell for a long time"?

Come on, put the blame where it belongs, on your girlfriends crazy mom.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
LOL, Dr. Laura didn't even KNOW you, so how in the heck did she REALLY make your life "hell for a long time"?

Come on, put the blame where it belongs, on your girlfriends crazy mom.
Meh, I don't really even care, to tell ya the truth. I was just talkin' smack in my previous posts - because that's what I do.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Weird that a bunch of wifeys and others feel the need to negate the letter-writer's experiences. They are his and they are VALID. It's what he perceived and how he felt in his relationship. Dismissing them doesn't make it any less real for him; neither does claiming that there's the wife's side to consider, too. Well, no, there isn't because this is HIS letter, his reasoning. No one's perceptions of a situation in ANYTHING is 100 percent accurate. Still, we always consider how we and others perceive things.

The point is that he felt unappreciated and unwanted. You know -- the things that can lead to affairs? YET, the consensus here has always been that anyone who feels unwanted should LEAVE rather than cheat. But, now, y'all are saying, no, he shouldn't leave, either. WTH is up with that?

And don't shift it all onto the kids. NO, incompatible and unhappy parents should NOT stay together "for the kids." I grew up in such a home and was miserable. It's why I don't believe in marriage and think it's an unnecessary risk. AND, by saying that people should stay because of the kids, you are basically pushing it off on them. "Mommy and Daddy are clearly unhappy and we fight a LOT, but we're here together because of you." That's just a great message for children, isn't it? And the kids are seeing a really great "model" for marriage in that, aren't they? A lifetime of misery. No wonder it's so difficult to find a good life partner these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships