Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 04:49 PM

421 posts, read 676,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

so yes, women should ask a guy out- as a gender, women have tried relentlessly to even the playing field, to not be judged as frail little girls,,or as an object,,
now you've got it,,, a more level playing field than ever before..,so,,now its your turn to approach a guy if you like him..
Seriously, anyone who is afraid of being objectified has much bigger problems to worry about. I used to be called "Top Gun" in HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley868 View Post
I've never asked out a guy and I never will because I know I will get rejected.
You never know until you try. Seriously, if your real life is anything like you describe in your posts you will do fine.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:38 PM

596 posts, read 627,971 times
Default Girl please

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Women ask men out all the time. Most relationships are initiated by women, in US culture.

If it's not happening to you, either you miss their intent or you seem unappealling to them, in some way that is probably not to do with looks or money.

Yeahh women do it, but let's not get carried away with exaggeration. It does not happen alllllllllllllllllll the time.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:45 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Well, what she said was, "most relationships are initiated by women, in US culture". There are different ways to initiate a relationship, it's not always by someone asking the other out.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enil View Post
I've never seen women hesitate when it came to approaching attractive men. I've always had good-looking guyfriends in my life and the women we'd come across would make their interest quite clear by approaching my friends. The fear of being rejected by my friends was just not there. Of course the women who approached my friends were good-looking themselves, and the average-women probably didn't approach because they thought they'd be rejected, but when it was time to hit the clubs, after a few drinks the average woman's hesitation was no longer there and she'd approach my friends.

Nowadays, if a man approaches a woman he's seen as having low value, for being the approaching member of the interaction sends the signal that he wants something from the woman. The woman wonders if he has to work for it(female attention) because high-quality men very rarely have to approach women. On the other hand, I've seen average men approach average women and get rejected , and I've never seen attractive women be approached by men.
I guess I have not had that assumption. I tend to think that men who approach have balls & the ones who don't, don't (whether fair or not). I suppose this is why I don't find a man attractive if I have to initiate. He registers as "weak" and "passive" to me.

I also need confirmation that he finds me attractive before I open myself to the possibility that I could find him attractive.

I'm not sure if your last sentence is an error....you've never seen attractive women approached? So they always initiate?

Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enil View Post
usually, the guys who approach are playing a number's game. They'll approach every woman who they deem as passable but they aren't interested in the woman. They're interested in how she looks. Guys are notorious for being sexually attracted to anything. It doesn't really mean anything. It might be even be the case of the guy approaching because he's bored and wants to see if he can get anywhere with the woman, a personal test.

No, never seen attractive women being approached. Attractive women rarely see men of equal attractiveness. When do they see men who are their equal they have to approach as their males counter-parts are already being flooded with female attention(from average/pretty women) and they aren't going to take the time and effort to attract attractive women.

I do see men look at attractive women but I'm not a woman, so I don't count that as ''flirting,'' or, ''showing interest,'' or ''approaching indirectly.''

"Women marry providers. Men marry anything." - attributed to anthropologist Margaret Mead

Old 03-02-2014, 07:17 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorena View Post
Yeahh women do it, but let's not get carried away with exaggeration. It does not happen alllllllllllllllllll the time.
In my experience, I don't think women cold approach men in the way a lot of guys are thinking of it. I've asked a handful of men out, but they were men who I knew, who I've talked with. I knew we had chemistry and I was 95% sure they'd say "yes." (Which wasn't always the case.) I'd never just walk up to a complete stranger and ask for a number or whatever. I don't think that's too unusual for women in general. That's why the advice to guys is usually to expand their social circle or join organizations where they can meet women. Those are the kinds of situations where women are more comfortable, more so than in bars.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-02-2014 at 07:43 AM..

Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
as stated in other threads by other women, they can't deal with the amount of rejection that comes with approaching.

Some might try it once, and then they get rejected, and then they swear off all together.
http://youtu.be/w2Jw4ZdZNPY

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 03-02-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-02-2014, 11:36 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Yeah. I know that scene, and yes it does provide a lot more courage, it doesn't give me any more of a chance.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:30 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,325 times
Women are led to believe that a man will sweep them off of their feet. Prince charming is going to show up with roses, flowers, attention, affection and can't live without us. You know.....all that jazz.

MountainGuy74, I'm not sure about your Southern California beliefs. Women in the south dig for gold quite nicely. Conversations are: where do you work, what car do you drive...you know they deserve Gucci and make $8 per hour. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships