Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 04:46 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,553,704 times

Advertisements

These text threads made me think of something, have you ever heard of a meaningful relationship (friendship, dating, bf/gf, other special relationship/penpals) maintained primarily on text communication?

I know there may be examples of a sudden long-distance situation (out of town work project) where the couple could talk throughout the day, send pics, etc. Or a friendship occurred while traveling and you kept in contact via text and keep the relationship going beyond exchanging texts other than pleasantries?

There are lots of us here that believe phone and in-person comunications are important to maintaining meaningful relationships. But others find texting as an acceptable method of keeping in touch with ppl who are important to you.

I'm curious about those text relationships that are not family related, like texting grandma every once in a way. I'm really wondering about like daily talks between friends/couples/etc.

And I am definitely curious about hearing examples of anyone who met online and were unable to meet due to distance and somehow keep the conversation and interest going for sometime, and then later met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 04:52 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,519,827 times
I text most of my friends and even my bf instead of calling them. Its just easier and we can plan what we are going to do while we are both working. In fact I am doing that now with my bf as tonight is date night so we just planned our entire night and by texting.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I text most of my friends and even my bf instead of calling them. Its just easier and we can plan what we are going to do while we are both working. In fact I am doing that now with my bf as tonight is date night so we just planned our entire night and by texting.
Yeah but you still meet up with them regularly right?

But you make a good point that you can still maintain meaningful relationships through texting.

what would happen if your bf was unemployed and suddenly found a super job on the otherside of country and you had a great steady career right where you are. then you pretty much knew your bf/gf relationship was over, and not due to fault of either one.

Would you still continue to keep in touch via text and over time just became "text friends", talked about your relationship, problems in work/family, etc. Kind of like a text penpal but you one you had a meaningful relationship with. one that you discovered was important, and special to communicate? do you think you would keep it up or it would just fizzle after a while?

Old 09-13-2013, 05:16 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,373,274 times
Fizzle.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,519,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
Yeah but you still meet up with them regularly right?

But you make a good point that you can still maintain meaningful relationships through texting.

what would happen if your bf was unemployed and suddenly found a super job on the otherside of country and you had a great steady career right where you are. then you pretty much knew your bf/gf relationship was over, and not due to fault of either one.

Would you still continue to keep in touch via text and over time just became "text friends", talked about your relationship, problems in work/family, etc. Kind of like a text penpal but you one you had a meaningful relationship with. one that you discovered was important, and special to communicate? do you think you would keep it up or it would just fizzle after a while?
This is true I do see him and most of my friends regularly. But it seems like I text them more then actually talk to them on the phone in fact when my bf calls I kind of look at my phone weird because I am use to a text.

Now I do have friends that live far from me and we keep in touch by texting. As far as long distance relationships. I have tried them even dating a guy from Spain once but they have never worked out for me.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,008,526 times
Quote:
These text threads made me think of something, have you ever heard of a meaningful relationship (friendship, dating, bf/gf, other special relationship/penpals) maintained primarily on text communication?

I know there may be examples of a sudden long-distance situation (out of town work project) where the couple could talk throughout the day, send pics, etc. Or a friendship occurred while traveling and you kept in contact via text and keep the relationship going beyond exchanging texts other than pleasantries?

There are lots of us here that believe phone and in-person comunications are important to maintaining meaningful relationships. But others find texting as an acceptable method of keeping in touch with ppl who are important to you.

I'm curious about those text relationships that are not family related, like texting grandma every once in a way. I'm really wondering about like daily talks between friends/couples/etc.

And I am definitely curious about hearing examples of anyone who met online and were unable to meet due to distance and somehow keep the conversation and interest going for sometime, and then later met.

Two of my best friends .. who are actually brothers. We grew up together and I have known them for around 20 years now. We talk soley online now My one buddy got a job in Louisville and I'm living in the middle of the country. My other friend is still in the city we grew up back in Michigan. We rarely see eachother.. maybe a couple times a year. They consider me their best friends and I do to them. I'm trying to make it not sound like a bunch of girls or gay dudes but yeah I talk to them pretty much every day.

When I was younger, I had a gf who I MET online. We maintained a relationship for a year without ever meeting, and finally we met and it was exactly the same. We stayed together for another year but things ended up going sour, not really related to distance though.

I think it is more than possible, I'm far from a recluse and a very social guy.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:25 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,208,745 times
In regards to dating relationship, nope. Don't think that would work. In terms of just a buddy/friendship type thing, yeah you probably could.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Two of my best friends .. who are actually brothers. We grew up together and I have known them for around 20 years now. We talk soley online now My one buddy got a job in Louisville and I'm living in the middle of the country. My other friend is still in the city we grew up back in Michigan. We rarely see eachother.. maybe a couple times a year. They consider me their best friends and I do to them. I'm trying to make it not sound like a bunch of girls or gay dudes but yeah I talk to them pretty much every day.

When I was younger, I had a gf who I MET online. We maintained a relationship for a year without ever meeting, and finally we met and it was exactly the same. We stayed together for another year but things ended up going sour, not really related to distance though.

I think it is more than possible, I'm far from a recluse and a very social guy.
Yes, this is exacty what i am getting at. There are so many lonely ppl out there that sometimes i wonder if their life could be more fulfilling or interesting if they just found someone online to text regularly.

It could be a catchfish, no problem. That show btw often indicates that ppl can have these meaningful virtual relationships even when there are obvious signs that something is fishy. But these ppl don't care or care to investigate further, they are getting some of their emotional needs met online (or text). And for them, that's all that counts.

Yeah, I know many will call this type of arrangement less than optimal or healthy, but these ppl become passionate about each other and end up have deep text relationships.

Or in the case of a long-distance friendship, you still enjoyed sharing thoughts and updates enough to do it daily, like burgler09.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:31 PM

350 posts, read 711,670 times
Texting is one small step above Morse Code.

And even 100 years ago, people had relationships.

"Hey Baby, your dots and dashes really stir up my knickers."

Old 09-13-2013, 05:32 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,008,526 times
Quote:
Yes, this is exacty what i am getting at. There are so many lonely ppl out there that sometimes i wonder if their life could be more fulfilling or interesting if they just found someone online to text regularly.

It could be a catchfish, no problem. That show btw often indicates that ppl can have these meaningful virtual relationships even when there are obvious signs that something is fishy. But these ppl don't care or care to investigate further, they are getting some of their emotional needs met online (or text).

I just don't buy into these catfish things. I don't think it happens near as often as people say, I have met SO many people online due to my travels and every single person I have met has had the same personality and looked exactly like their pictures.

Some of the coolest people I've ever met have been people I maintained a friendship/sexual interest online first.

However, I don't think maintaining long distance relationships before meeting is the best idea. I would never do it again now that I'm a little older.. however, meeting new people online is something I will always do before I travel. There's no better way to explore a place than to have someone you already know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships