Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I just came from one with 2 gay guys and 2 other girls, one of which I knew, so nothing was jumping off, but it was still fun. They had to be at work at 6am so we called it a night.
There are gay guys in San Fran??!!! Shut up!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:11 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
There are gay guys in San Fran??!!! Shut up!!!
I honestly don't see them that much!!!

But, then again, my gaydar is not the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
That's the whole point of a happy hour, that's why people get dressed up and put on the smell good. What else are you supposed to do at a happy hour?
Where I live is laaaaame. No one hits on anyone here at happy hour. People go with their clicks and stick to them for the most part. I think going alone is probably best if you want to actually meet new people there.

I get ideas that someone (maybe me?) should open up a bar or some sort of singles venue with the right kind of dynamics that would set up for people to mingle and meet new people. It would have to be semi and discreetly directed, because lord knows people need some handholding. lol

Last edited by srjth; 08-18-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 12:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I've gone to a few meetups and met some pretty cool people, but it can turn into a meat market. Luckily I'm not that attractive and the worst thing that happens is I'll be in a great conversation with a guy (or a few guys) and they'll disappear and ignore me the rest of the night because a prettier girl walked in.

I have one this weekend where we're going to try to start a new D&D campaign. Finding the right people is difficult so I'm hoping we'll have a good turn out this time.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:12 PM

803 posts, read 1,668,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortDoctor View Post
Every time I go to a meetup happy hour, it seems like most of the time a lot of guys are there just to hit on the women, even though I feel like in the whole history of meetup happy hours maybe 0.1% of women hook up with a guy afterwards. At least 5 guys are trying to get with a woman at a time. Are these representative of all happy hours? I'm just looking for an event to chill and drink away my sorrows
I've looked at the social groups on Meetup where I live and it's a sausage fest every time. Lots of white knights and PUA dudes are lurking on Meetup now, too. It's better to go alone and try a new spot regularly.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I honestly don't see them that much!!!

But, then again, my gaydar is not the best.

Where I live is laaaaame. No one hits on anyone here at happy hour. People go with their clicks and stick to them for the most part. I think going alone is probably best if you want to actually meet new people there.

I get ideas that someone (maybe me?) should open up a bar or some sort of singles venue with the right kind of dynamics that would set up for people to mingle and meet new people. It would have to be semi and discreetly directed, because lord knows people need some handholding. lol
I like it! I am there.

I do find that HH around here seems to be more about chatting and less about flirting. It is interesting.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
I organize a Meetup group that tends to have a lot of happy hour-style events and most of the people in the group are single. That being said, I just can't believe how flaky some people can be. They sign up for an event, sometimes even post a comment about how excited they are to meet new people etc, then don't show up. As expected, women are the worst offenders of this, although there are some guys that are multiple flakers too.

My group isn't a meat market at all, the ones who actually show up are really cool. Anyway the Meetup concept is great (meeting others in a casual setting, throw in some food & alcohol), but the lack of respect for others especially organizers (in the case of flaking) is the downside and there's really no penalty, unless I just decide to kick them out of the group. I've considered this, but in a way, I don't want to come off like I'm taking this so seriously.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Why are you going
Quote:
to a meetup happy hour.....

if all you want to do is
Quote:
drink away sorrows
?

And, if that's all you want to do, why go to an expensive bar? Just go to a liquor store and go home and drink. It's a lot cheaper and you don't have to leave tips.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:53 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
By the way, the BEST way to meet women, (no kidding) is at AA meetings.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,403 times
i've been a member of various meetup groups over the years in both NYC and in LA. IMHO meetups are only good when they're activity oriented, eg, hiking, beach volleyball, etc. the "social" meetups are typically attended by people in their late 30s and up, with a ratio of 3:1 men to women. definitely not worth it for me.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:58 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
That being said, I just can't believe how flaky some people can be. They sign up for an event, sometimes even post a comment about how excited they are to meet new people etc, then don't show up.
We have that problem here too. It's just understood that if 50 people are signed up for an event, you can reasonably expect 25 of them to show up.

Here it's not really a meat market, mostly people just go to socialize. However, the ratio is the opposite of what everyone is saying. In the group I co-organize, there is a happy hour tomorrow. There are currently 13 women and 8 men signed up. In another group, which does weekly Friday happy hours, their event for tomorrow has 30 women and 17 men signed up. A big happy hour next Wednesday in yet another group has 49 woman and 25 men signed up.

The roughly 2:1 ratio is actually not too bad. A couple of years ago, it was closer to 6:1. I think it is a combination of more guys attending events and a lot of the female regulars no longer attending them. However, the age range of men at these events tends to be 25-29 and 50+ with very few in their 30's and 40's, whereas the women are primarily in their 30's and 40's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships