Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:08 PM

805 posts, read 1,513,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
As long as you don't discuss your personal relationship with your female friends, it won't be a problem. Seeking marital advice from them is not a good thing.

I have to agree with you here! That would be a disaster waiting to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 02:20 AM

14,228 posts, read 30,129,882 times
I would hate for my SO to think he had to give up his friends to have a relationship with me. Friends are very important and hard to find. I'm glad he has them. And they are almost all women. Some are EX's as well.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:55 AM

5,076 posts, read 14,673,420 times
It really does depend on the person you plan on spending your life with. Some of us are okay with multiple friends of the opposite sex, some of us are not.
I have a friend who always has lots of female friends (myself included) but when he got married his new wife was not comfortable with the friends he had and the amount so she asked him to give up some of them (myself not included lol) and get more male friends to which he honored her request.
Like CanineCastle says, if a woman is secure within herself, there should not be an issue.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 PM

73,133 posts, read 62,979,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
It really does depend on the person you plan on spending your life with. Some of us are okay with multiple friends of the opposite sex, some of us are not.
I have a friend who always has lots of female friends (myself included) but when he got married his new wife was not comfortable with the friends he had and the amount so she asked him to give up some of them (myself not included lol) and get more male friends to which he honored her request.
Like CanineCastle says, if a woman is secure within herself, there should not be an issue.
I am still single, and at this point in my life, the amount of female friends I have had are shifting. Some people I have lost contact with because of circumstances in their lives(marriage, moving to other places,etc.). I am still in college due to extenuating circumstances.
I am not the type of person who would cheat on a girlfriend or wife. To me having good friends is a good thing. There are many people I know who I wouldn't want to lose contact with because of that friendship. If I am in a relationship, I wouldn't dream of being romantically interested in any of my friends. If a woman I like can understand that, that is good. Even better, if I do get a girlfriend, the girlfriend and any female friends I have will be friends too.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:13 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,383,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donica2k View Post
It make sense that nerd man have more american woman friend than man friend. Gay man have more woman friend but maybee not. Most american man like video game, american foot ball, base balls, and american gang rap music very much and some man not like these things. Good american man like read book, art, and listen to good music from united kingdom. These man may have more american woman friend but are better than sports and video game man.
LOL, I agree with you. These men are not easy to find in the US, for friendship or anything else. American men tend to avoid depth and sensitivity for fear of appearing gay. But they will shave their entire body.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:51 PM

44,422 posts, read 20,181,611 times
My sister's husband has more female friends than male. Purely platonic. My sis is okay with this. They've been married since 1973.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,079,461 times
As a straight male, I really don't have any female friends nor have I been interested in having any. If I were to ever have a female friend, it would only be my wife of girlfriend. At times, single women try to flirt with married men and might try to ruin his relationship.

Plus, if a man has too many female friends, his mindset might change and see everything from a female perspective.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 11,897 times
ok, I'm a guy and I have many many friends both male and female. Currently I hang out much more with my female friends (usually go out with 3 or 4 female friends, sometimes a few guys are included); first of all their drama amuses me; second they've told me that they see me as an older brother and love hanging out with me, we laugh, drink and generally have a good time...they've also helped me out with other girls I've liked...women are the perfect wingmen.

there's something about being the only guy with 3 girls having a great time that attracts women outside the group to me.

don't get me wrong, I also have a bunch of guy friends, we hang out during the week, drink, play video games, watch sports, play dominoes, etc etc...I just prefer going out with female friends because they're more fun to drink with...also, they like my perspective of their problems; men and women are a perfect balance between rational and emotional. not to say that women are irrational and men dont have emotions, but generally speaking, when faced with personal problems, men tend to be more rational and women tend to be much more emotional. my friends confide in me and i in them, we give each other advice and help each other out when we can.

now that i have a girlfriend, which is long distance temporarily (i'm graduating and going back home) my friend's only objections about my gf are when we've had problems (mostly due to my female friends)....I hate jealousy, i think that relationships are based on trust, mutual respect, and love. but if my girl can't handle my friends, which i've known much longer than her, even when i tell her who i'm with, what we are doing and send her pictures from my phone she still gets jealous. this is a relationship that is doomed to fail because in the end of the day there's a saying that really holds true:

bros before hoes....so what if some of my bros happen to be girls...if you can't deal with your guy having girlfriends then any relationship you have will fail. why??? well look around, more than half the population in the world is female, men will always, everyday have contact with them, and unless he's antisocial, rude, arrogant or any negative adjective, then chances are he will develop a platonic relationship with a woman and if you're the jealous type he will most likely hide it from you, and if a man feels the need to hide a friendship from his woman, then the will most likely end up romantically linked with the other woman; why? well because the outside woman accepts him having other female relationships, EVEN SEXUAL

so girls, my advice, just let things flow...you can tell if a guy is a douche instantly; dont let good looks and charm get in the way of your rational conclusions (which most women do regarding guys they like). a douche is a douche and will never be less than a douche...but dont create distance and the need for lies; accept who he is, who he hangs out with, and if you're uneasy about his female friendships TRY TO BOND WITH HIS FRIENDS, be smart, get on the friend's good side so that when you two have problems she won't take his side and bad talk you!!!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,827,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What are the chances of a straight male who has more female friends(strictly platonic, no romance) than male friends getting a girlfriends and later getting married and not having marital problems? I ask because I never thought having alot of female friends were a big deal until I thought about marriage.
It's not the friends that will be the problem but your personality. If you can have women as friends, then your masculinity hasn't been fired up yet. Your woman just isn't going to feel you and she'll always be running the show because she doesn't respect you.

My question is why aren't you chasing the women you're friends with? Are you trying to be feminine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am just one of those straight males who doesn't feel the need to present that "manyly man" image.
Was your father absent or a weekender?

Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM

408 posts, read 811,471 times
I'm female and I always had many, many more guy friends than girl friends because of the "no drama" seriously, girls are mean. After I started dating my boyfriend (who I live with) my guy friends started getting fewer & farther in between. He only likes 2 of my guy friends so those are the ones I still talk to....as long as everyone got along, I don't think it would matter but I doubt anyone is going to want their spouse hanging out with the opposite sex by themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships