Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:08 AM

50 posts, read 163,709 times

Advertisements

So do we have a general or preferable time where a man or a woman should get married? I guess the most default answer is before 30 and I am coming pretty close to it (male). Family is pressuring me to get married, but there are a few things I want to accomplish before tying the knot. (career wise, financially etc)

Is this true? will marrying late decrease my chances of finding true love? my thing is - if you have a life companion - you will need to commit 100% and I feel as if - I can't achieve that with my personal goals by starting a family/marriage.

married couples advice would be helpful or any !

thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:15 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,306,200 times
I have no intent on ever marrying, because I don't see a need for it.

I also want to finish grad school and progress my career. I want the ability to travel and move on a moments notice without any ties.

I definitely don't think there is set age and I don't feel any pressure from friends or family.

Are you currently dating someone you have been with for several years and that's why people are pressuring you?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:33 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,186,389 times
I don't think there is any age at which you should be married. I think it's about finding the right person. That being said - I will say that the longer you wait, the more you will become set in your ways (not always true but I've seen it a lot) and it might become harder to share your life with someone else in a way that might have been easier when you were younger. Also, I don't know why people think you can only do one thing at a time - focus on your career OR your love life. Ideally, the right person for you will enhance your life making EVERYTHING in your life easier and more successful. I got married at 28, my husband was 30. His career has taken off during our relationship.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,028,982 times
There is no right age. Pressure from peers or family should not be a factor at all.

There can be a right or wrong time, but it is based on your wants, needs, desires, and whether you have found a great match you have full confidence in, and who has full confidence in you, and where both of you are on the same page with life goals, direction, how to achieve them, etc.

Studies show that the older you are when you first marry dramatically decreases the likelihood of divorce.

I will second Dew, finding and being with the right person will enhance the other areas of your life. Not detract from them. The relationship should basically raise all boats.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,538,367 times
Bottom line: don't let people put undue pressure on you to get married. It doesn't matter who that person is, family, friends, your SO or a 70 year old man in a bear suit hitting on a women.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:40 AM

13 posts, read 17,556 times
Hallo!

I think time ideal for marriage does not exist!

It's true that for marriage must have a job, the maturity and responsibility to do so. this varies from person to person....

I'm still single...

Old 08-29-2013, 07:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,753,831 times
i just turned 30 , and i field a LOT of questions from relatives about this

i don't understand why they are so nosy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirouline View Post
Is this true? will marrying late decrease my chances of finding true love?
True love? How old are you ? Have you ever dated?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,439,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirouline View Post
So do we have a general or preferable time where a man or a woman should get married?

will marrying late decrease my chances of finding true love?
First question is when you meet the right person.

Second question, If you get married early and it isn't true love and you aren't willing to get divorced, then the chances of finding true love are low. The more relationships you enter, the higher the probability you will find true love.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,260,369 times
No. Something about the number 30 puts people into a tizzy about marriage and babies. Don't do things because of the number assigned to your life. I knew so many people in their 20's who paniced because of 30 - oh 30 means marriage and babies, blah blah. Then 30 came and they realized they weren't ready. 30 isn't as old as you think. 30 doesn't mean what you think it does, necessarily. You still have so much time. Don't pressure yourself with that deadline, it's ridiculous and doesn't mean anything if that's not what you really want at that time.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,951,063 times
It's good to have goals It's also good to realize that you can accomplish your goals with or without someone else in your life. I've definitely accomplished goals post-wedding day! I went to grad school, made a career change, traveled the world, my husband has gotten some really big promotions, etc. If anything, it's been easier doing it while married--when his career was getting crazy busy, I was able to take care of household stuff in the evenings, and when I was going to grad school and working full time, he could come home and walk the dog or run errands. Vacations are easier to take with two incomes and a built in travel buddy, and being on the same page financially from the beginning has meant that we've been able to accomplish financial goals together.

Don't get married before you're ready, but I don't know where the idea that life stops after "I do" comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships