Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:27 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,964,611 times

Advertisements

You need some common interest and some not to keep it interesting.

Some couples do marry basically themselves in male or female form. Then some couples marry their opposite. Opposites attract. For some it creates adventure, feeds curiousity, entertainment and such.

Common interest can create harmony. Less selfishness since both want to do those activies. Its a companion to be with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 06:29 PM

45,586 posts, read 60,888,863 times
Common interests aren't important (usually, if one is into orgies and the other isn't I can see an issue), tolerating the interests of the other is.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:34 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,389,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Some people get along just fine without common interests, I suppose. I'm not one of them.

Without common interests, what do you have to talk about, except things in which you don't have a mutual interest? I can't see a long, deep, or exciting conversation happening! How do you make plans to do things together, when you don't like some of the same things? Vacations must be problematical, unless you take them separately. You may not even be able to watch TV together.

As you say, OP, you can compromise, but what if you hate the activities and don't want to take turns? What if it always feels like an obligation or burden to do so? That can build resentment, not closeness.

I found a partner who shares many interests. We always have things to talk about, and things we can do together that we both enjoy - it's a bonus to do them together. And we still have our own separate interests, so we can spend time apart when we want that.
This^

Old 06-19-2013, 12:22 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,477,853 times
2 years into relationship after the puppy love wears thin:

GIRL: "so what do you want to do tonight?"
GUY: "i don't know...maybe go see a movie"
GIRL: i don't really like going to the movies hun, you know that
GUY: oh ok...

*rest of the night spent pursuing interests away from SO while they tend to their own.
rinse, repeat every night for the rest of your time with that person.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:15 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,757,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Without common interests, what do you have to talk about, except things in which you don't have a mutual interest?.
Well, if you can force yourself to listen, you'll learn stuff about which you didn't know already know everything.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:18 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,395,557 times
There's a difference between "common interests" and "having things in common." Not necessarily the same thing.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:25 PM

11,411 posts, read 24,510,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

I just don't understand if everything else is humming along pretty well in a relationship except for lack of common interests...

Your thoughts?
Why would you be together then?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:43 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,389,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
There's a difference between "common interests" and "having things in common." Not necessarily the same thing.
That's^ a good point, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships