Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:00 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Being unborn is the best state you find yourself at.
No.
It may be the best state you find yourself at, but please don't assume that my disdain for living matches yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 02:01 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Not while my mother and brother are still alive. It's okay.
Well, that's considerate at least. A mood alerter might be something worth investigating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

No you didn't.
You stated that breaking up can cause stress, but that's different that stating what stress has to do with breaking up.

In fact, stress can cause people to break up. Since stress is bad for a an unborn child (and born children) sometimes breaking up can be good, correct?

Thus, you shouldn't feel bad for a an unborn child whose parents break up because that might actually be better for the child.

Do you believe that all relationships are 'good ones'?
If not, isn't it sometimes better for a couple to break up?
It really depends. Violent relationships are certainly not good for the mother and fetus. Then the stress of a breakup could lead to significant grief and hard grief is correlated with increased risk of schizophrenia for the child. It really depends on the situation.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
...the stress of a breakup could lead to significant grief and hard grief is correlated with increased risk of schizophrenia for the child. It really depends on the situation.
Thank you. See, that's the point I was trying to make.

Depending on WHEN in the pregnancy the breakup and stress occurs, this can have lifelong ramifications for the baby - like those increased risks of schizophrenia, among other things

Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times
Quote:
Being unborn is the best state you find yourself at. My parents recently divorced but they stayed together in a war zone for more than 30 years. You bet nobody will catch me in a marriage. I'd rather hang myself.
Welp, I'm not going to attempt to change your mind. I think I remember one of your posts now. As an outsider to marriage (I'm not married), sometimes I can look in and wonder why they stayed or why they continued to have kids but my guess is that marriage is usually a security blanket and it just gets really comfortable. Not to mention sometimes things start off as bliss when you meet and as time goes on people change...or you just got addicted/attached to that person because they're so familiar. I have really mixed feelings on the matter, but I feel like the two need to be grown ups on the matter and to realize they're not just dealing with themselves anymore, they have another being in their care.

Life can be tough, JayN.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Depending on WHEN in the pregnancy the breakup and stress occurs, this can have lifelong ramifications for the baby - like those increased risks of schizophrenia, among other things
You're still not acknowledging that breaking up could actually reduce stress.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I learned about it due to my pregnancy. My husband has been worried because I have a high stress job, but after investigating I learned that it's not any stress that lends to serious problems, but things like grief stress, war, rape, that kind of thing. So, a husband who cheats on a pregnant wife, or leaves her, could fall into that category and he would really be harming his baby.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:10 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
This is what abortion is for.

Sounds cold and harsh, and I'm sure some folks who are anti-choice will disagree with me, but most pregnancies that occur out of wedlock are unintended and should be treated as such.

That's how I would handle it, at least. What other people do is their business, but I can't help but feel bad for any kid born into that situation. I tend to think it irresponsible of women to continue pregnancies in those circumstances, as well, but again, that is my opinion. I'm not going to hate or castigate a woman who chooses differently.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:10 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Welp, I'm not going to attempt to change your mind. I think I remember one of your posts now. As an outsider to marriage (I'm not married), sometimes I can look in and wonder why they stayed or why they continued to have kids but my guess is that marriage is usually a security blanket and it just gets really comfortable. Not to mention sometimes things start off as bliss when you meet and as time goes on people change...or you just got addicted/attached to that person because they're so familiar. I have really mixed feelings on the matter, but I feel like the two need to be grown ups on the matter and to realize they're not just dealing with themselves anymore, they have another being in their care.

Life can be tough, JayN.
It was never a bliss in their case. It was always hell from the start but my mother was still very naive at the time and believed she could change him (how typical). They only slept together the amount of times necessary for her to get pregnant with my brother and I. Too bad IVF wasn't as widespread as it is today, she wouldn't have had to sleep with with him.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
So, a husband who cheats on a pregnant wife, or leaves her, could fall into that category and he would really be harming his baby.
How about a wife cheats on her husband and fears that he may find out and leave her?
Would that type of stress be harmful to his baby?

Old 04-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
How about a wife cheats on her husband and fears that he may find out and leave her?
Would that type of stress be harmful to his baby?
I doubt that would turn into grief stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships