Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM

19,990 posts, read 20,647,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
What? You're going to just leave us hanging without any info.

Selfish of you, ya know.
That's right. I'm a very selfish person. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,152,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The title says it all... I would like to see good moving in stories, bad ones, and ugly ones.

How did it work,? If it ended badly, how amicable was the break up?

When is living together a good idea,? When is it a bad idea?

When should couples live together? Or not?
I knew him for 9 years, lived with him for 6, we split up. I loved living with him. I loved him. I didn't think it was a bad idea. He had other ideas. *shrugging*

Old 04-05-2013, 06:17 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,602,423 times
Quote:
The title says it all... I would like to see good moving in stories, bad ones, and ugly ones.

Good question Jasper.

I take note of my late grandfather, who, in the end, chose to live alone but still have an amazing relationship with a woman for over 15 years up unto his death. I still see this woman (she's still alive) and she greatly misses my grandfather more so then any of her prior x husbands. Sadly, she's not the same spunky woman anymore (think May West) after my grandfather passed because they did so many things together.

Anyhow, this woman begged to move in with my grandfather (and begged to get married) but he never gave in. My grandfather simply wanted his own personal space and wanted to be able to retreat to his own home and be left alone after work. My grandfather was also pretty experienced with women, and with money, so I know spending his final stages of his life alone was chosen by design for a particular reason.

Personally, I'm going down the same road, but for different reasons. My take is that familiarity breeds complacency and contempt. I see it pretty often how couples who live with each other take each other for granted.

I don't even understand why people need to move in with each other other then to save on bills, but when you fight because nobody has any personal space, was saving that little bit of money even worth it?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:22 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,727,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I did all the laundry. Skid marks. That's all I'll say. Any future men I live with are doing their own laundry!
Dead dead dead

Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,459,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
It turns into a bad idea during break up. If you want the person out of your house (say its your house) they legally do not have to leave until you evict them. That's when it gets really really bad.
I don't get this. When my husband said we are over. The second he said that, I got up and pack ALL my things. Maybe I am just too proud. But I can't fathom NOT leaving right away when the other person has said it is OVER. It is his house. But if it's MY house, I hope he does the same - leave, ASAP.

Now, if it is OUR house, like paying for it equally then of course I won't leave.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:38 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,040,564 times
For women, it's a great way to be strung along by someone who doesn't want to commit. I don't recommend it.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:21 AM

37,935 posts, read 46,648,307 times
Quote:

All I can say is that it's not for me. If you are not a terribly independent person, I guess it would be fine.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:42 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,351,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
All I can say is that it's not for me. If you are not a terribly independent person, I guess it would be fine.
Honestly, I think age has a lot to do with it. If you are in your 20's or early 30's - it's probably not as hard as when you are in your 40's or older. It's a lot easier to make the adjustment to living with someone else when you haven't been on your own for that long. Before I moved in with my husband back when we were dating - I had never lived by myself. I had always had roommates. It didn't take much adjusting at all to get used to living with my husband - in fact, we loved it. But I have friends and my mom has friends who were divorced or widowed for a long time and then remarried - and moving in with their new spouses after living on their own for so long was very trying.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,584,581 times
I am considering this step... Slowly contemplating. No rush. We spend so much time together, and it frustrates me when I cook dinner.. Oh, the cilantro is at my house, or I want to work on something, at my house. He is antsy at my place, does not have his stuff. So, we are considering this step.

I will say, I told him I was pretty done with living in two places. And went home completely for two weeks. I had my beadwork, my paperwork, doing things around my house I had been letting slide for awhile. He agreed it was time to make a change.... I don't feel I manipulated this, it was just I was done living g here, there, and ended everywhere.

So, the next few months we are going to clean out his place, paint it, fix it up, I will slowly move there, keep my own place for awhile, and see how it goes. O

Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 PM

832 posts, read 1,427,118 times
Quote:

I think if you're both mature, with open eyes as to the others "defects" it will work out just fine because ideally you'll be old enough to understand the gives and takes of living together.

But if only one person wants it... no bueno.

It really is an arrangement you're taking that's akin to marriage but without the bonds of marriage.

Like someone already said, you'll be washing the skid marks out. And if you want the person there, you'll do it rolling your eyes. If you don't want them there and they weaseled in... you tend to get angry at them leaving gross things laying around your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships