Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,735,076 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that I do not understand why so many people either need the person they are going after to be a challenge or like to play like they are a challenge for someone who is going for them. To me, either someone is really attractive or not, and if I deem them as attractive, I'm going to want them, end of story. I don't need them to be a challenge or mystery in order for them to gain more of my attention. I do understand that this phenomenon works for people but I could never rely on this as the main motivator of my liking someone. I don't understand why people do this.

Sorry for the rant. I'm thinking back on a time when I liked this guy and this other guy told me that I needed to be more of a challenge. I thought to myself "What for? Either he likes me or he doesn't. I don't need him to be a challenge."

Anyone else relate to what I'm saying here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 PM

326 posts, read 479,719 times
I think it's just another form of game playing that people seem to love doing these days.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 PM

181 posts, read 192,787 times
This is specially the case in the Bay Area, not sure why. Men that I tried dating always "pretended" they are not really available or not available all the time.

11,864 posts, read 17,054,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
I think it's just another form of game playing that people seem to love doing these days.
I'm a challenge by nature. That's not the same as game playing which is intentional.

218 posts, read 485,715 times
I think I get what you're saying...like not playing games such as "He asked at the last minute so I have to say that I'm busy even though I'm going to stay home alone and eat ice cream while watching Say Yes to the Dress."?? If that is where you're coming from, then I totally agree with you.

On the other hand, there is a fine line between not playing hard to get games and being too available/desperate.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM

326 posts, read 479,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle20 View Post
I think I get what you're saying...like not playing games such as "He asked at the last minute so I have to say that I'm busy even though I'm going to stay home alone and eat ice cream while watching Say Yes to the Dress."?? If that is where you're coming from, then I totally agree with you.

On the other hand, there is a fine line between not playing hard to get games and being too available/desperate.
This is what I'm saying.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM

102,380 posts, read 108,693,909 times
OP, you're just too down-to-earth and mature for some people. Those are the kind of people you don't need in your life.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,735,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I'm a challenge by nature. That's not the same as game playing which is intentional.
That is correct.

People who are the real deal challenge are a challenge because they're not that into you or naturally aloof. That's not gonna change. Anyone who is pretending is a fake and will be found out and game over, so I don't get why people tell you to fake it like I was told. What the hell is that? If you're looking for a LTR, it's stupid to manufacture attraction, but I could see "fake it 'til you make it" working for short-term or a fling though. Just put on a front and get what you want then bail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you're just too down-to-earth and mature for some people. Those are the kind of people you don't need in your life.
Oh God, that sounds horribly boring. lol

(but thank you still )

Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM

19,831 posts, read 20,447,262 times
I think it's smart to hold back a bit, otherwise people come off as desperate or easy.

Other times we just like to ease into a new situation to see how the chemistry flows. Too much up front is a big turn-off for me.

Plus, all the anticipation is a huge thrill when first getting to know someone.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,060,785 times
I've dropped women who tried playing games with me like a bad habit. They're just not worth the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships