Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:10 PM

104 posts, read 545,413 times

Advertisements

Can the women of the group provide some feedback on what women mean when they say they want a guy to "challenge" them?

I don't know what the hell this means.

Do they want to thumb wrestle?
Rock climbing?
Dare them to jump out of a plane?

If you could provide some very specific ways in which I can challenge women so that I satisfy this requirement I would appreciate it. I know women want to laugh as well and so I am reading some books on that.

Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 02:25 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRockinite View Post
Can the women of the group provide some feedback on what women mean when they say they want a guy to "challenge" them?

Rock climbing?

If you could provide some very specific ways in which I can challenge women so that I satisfy this requirement I would appreciate it. I know women want to laugh as well and so I am reading some books on that.

Thanks,
Chris
A word to the wise. Be careful how much you want to challenge them. Many tell me they are up for it and get cold feet later. Are you willing to push yourself to the limit and learn some exciting things? That is the real question!!

Old 03-13-2010, 02:26 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
I am a woman, and if someone says they want someone who will "challenge them" first off I ask them, "What does that mean? I don't understand." Watch and see how they answer: If they become condescending and rude like you are too stupid to understand, then that is an unattractive trait. If they are unwilling or unable to articulate and actually answer the question, then their communication skills suck, and that is also a really bad trait.

What comes to mind for me if someone says "challenge them" is they think they are so smart and everyone they meet is stupid, which is rather arrogant. Or they think having a relationship is about playing games to "get" someone or "win" someone like a prize, also unattractive to me. Or they are bored with their life, with men, with dating and you have to jump through x number of hoops to prove yourself. Again, that doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

Rather than trying to second-guess a woman what she "might" mean by what she says, it is far more attractive and healthy in a relationship to be able to communicate with others in a way that is kind, clear, and respectful.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:27 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
In my opinion, it means we do not want to have to do your thinking for you. We want you to have clear opinions, and be able to argue them intellegently. You need to be so confident that you do not feel the need to always be right. In fact, we like for you to be super comfortable to always be wrong- LOL. We like for you to take charge in an emergency, to change tires in the rain, kill spiders, dispose of dead mice, and to open pickle jars.

Do not ever confuse this desire for forcefulness with thinking we want your input about what we wear or how we decorate or run our homes.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:39 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:

Rock climbing?

Thanks,
Chris
It means she wants you to be her intellectual equal, to be someone who says/believes things that make her think and even grow more as a person.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:39 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
Quote:
I think when women say this it means that want a guy who will either play hard to get and/or willing to express interests, opinions, etc. that are contrary to theirs. This means the guy doesn't "puppy dog" them, kow-towing to every whim or thought. Guys who are challenging are perceived to exude strength, independence, and confidence (all big turn-ons for women).

Note, however, that this only works if the gal has a baseline attraction for the guy. This is key. If the guy is in the friendzone and he's "challenging," then he's basically considered a jerk (which is bad, of course). But if she likes him and he is either hard to get and/or a contrarian, then he's "challenging." (which, of course, is good).

Old 03-13-2010, 02:40 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default to me

it could mean (tho I tend to think negatively) that they're bored with men who are too aggreeable or "nice"

but i also agree they should be specific but again why should they, it's the women's court of law!!

Old 03-13-2010, 02:43 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
Here's an idea:

Inflate a kiddie pool in your backyard.
Fill it with 200 gallons of jello.
Invite her over and challenge her to a wrestling match. At the same time, you'll trifecta challenge her sanity, sense of humor and punching skills.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:47 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
Okay seriously, as a woman I don't get "challenge me" either. Maybe it's to be "unordinary"? Verbally spar with her? Think....outside the box? Okay, I threw up a little in my mouth over that last idea.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:48 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
A word to the wise. Be careful how much you want to challenge them. Many tell me they are up for it and get cold feet later. Are you willing to push yourself to the limit and learn some exciting things? That is the real question!!
Rugged I think everybody knows you've recently had a bad experience, but don't become one of "those guys". You know those guys? The ones who come into every thread and preach gloom and doom because they were burned once?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships