Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 AM

40,977 posts, read 49,325,591 times

Advertisements

RPG.. nobody cares what you're sick of.

I have preferences for some people and prejudices against others. There is a thin line between both, people can call them what they want. But I find certain people unattractive and would never be with them.

My preference is your prejudice.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 AM

218 posts, read 484,637 times
Prejudice is "unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes." Preference is "A greater liking for one alternative over another or others."

Yes, I think judging some one before getting to know them is not the best way to try to find a date. However, there is nothing wrong with having standards or being picky about who you want to be romatically attached to and possibly looking at spending the rest of your life with within reason. Being judgemental about people who are judgemental does not make you a better person, it makes you the same person.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,855,876 times
prej·u·dice

/ˈprejədəs/
Noun
Preconceived opinion not based on reason or experience.

pref·er·ence

/ˈpref(ə)rəns/
Noun
  • A greater liking for one alternative over another or others.
How is it unreasonable that people are attracted to specific traits?

I don't understand your argument.

Actually I think I understand it perfectly...

Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,561,418 times
prej·u·dice
[prej-uh-dis] Show IPA noun, verb, prej·u·diced, prej·u·dic·ing.

noun
an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.
such attitudes considered collectively: The war against prejudice is never-ending.
damage or injury; detriment: a law that operated to the prejudice of the majority.

pref·er·ence
[pref-er-uh ns, pref-ruh ns] Show IPA
noun
the act of preferring.
the state of being preferred.
that which is preferred; choice: His preference is vanilla, not chocolate.
a practical advantage given to one over others

And just for fun.....

at·trac·tion
[uh-trak-shuh n] Show IPA

noun
the act, power, or property of attracting.
attractive quality; magnetic charm; fascination; allurement; enticement: the subtle attraction of her strange personality.
a person or thing that draws, attracts, allures, or entices: The main attraction was the after-dinner speaker.
a characteristic or quality that provides pleasure; attractive feature: The chief attractions of the evening were the good drinks and witty conversation.
Physics. the electric or magnetic force that acts between oppositely charged bodies, tending to draw them together

I think you definitions of the two are a bit skeewed. But that's my preferential opinion.

Last edited by Granny Sue; 01-10-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 AM

571 posts, read 1,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Not at all. I am just asking that we be honest enough to call our prejudices prejudices instead of using silly euphemisms like "preference."

I am not innocent of this. I have prejudices of my own. For example, I would almost certainly not be willing to date anyone religious. I have y reasons for this, but it is a prejudice, not a preference.
Yes, you're 100% correct: you are prejudiced against "religious" types because you have negative feelings toward them.

Definition of prejudice: unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.

Others who do not feel an attraction to a certain look go for the one that attracts them. Simple.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,855,876 times
I just asked google to define each word and pulled the primary definition. Under "prejudice" 4 out of 5 definitions imply a negative connotation to the word, while none of the "preference" definitions do.

My point was that the OP sounds bitter about being rejected (or something along those lines) and is projecting his negativity on those whose standards do not match his/hers. There's no reason whatsoever that a person's dating PREFERENCES should be criticized, no matter how different they are from your own. Let people date who they want to date.

To me, it sounds like the OP is using semantics to admonish people for having any sort of dating preference in the first place. That's just absurd.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 AM

44,398 posts, read 20,123,279 times
People, I don't see this thread going anywhere helpful. This forum isn't for discussion of semantics. The topic of prejudices in dating has been dealt with previously in other threads, as pointed out in an earlier post.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.