Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:33 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,451,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
A divorce gives you new opportunities. People who are ok together don't want to divorce. That's why it's always a very good decision.
Nope. It is only a good decision for those who want it. There are many who do not. If it is right for you thats great - but do not assume from that that its the right decision for everyone else too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 AM

158 posts, read 211,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Nope. It is only a good decision for those who want it. There are many who do not. If it is right for you thats great - but do not assume from that that its the right decision for everyone else too.
Well I'm just glad divorce rates keep rising. People stopped being fools.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:12 AM

306 posts, read 660,519 times
Marriage is losing favor because marriage and raising kids requires extreme amount of patience and tolerance which most people do not have these days.

I think many marriages occur during the honeymoon phase when a large bulk of the stresses of daily living are absent or are masked... especially the man is trying unusually hard to make the woman's life comfortable which is an act that he can seldom keep up to the same standard in the long term. When the true issues surface with time the couple is unable to handle it and then it's over.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:25 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,451,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
Well I'm just glad divorce rates keep rising. People stopped being fools.
Just sounds like you particularly wish ill on other people. Your wish for other peoples marriages to fail does not mean marriage is a bad thing.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 PM

4,247 posts, read 4,242,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
Marriage is losing favor because marriage and raising kids requires extreme amount of patience and tolerance which most people do not have these days.

I think many marriages occur during the honeymoon phase when a large bulk of the stresses of daily living are absent or are masked... especially the man is trying unusually hard to make the woman's life comfortable which is an act that he can seldom keep up to the same standard in the long term. When the true issues surface with time the couple is unable to handle it and then it's over.
Don't forget about the marriage penalty. This tell you so much about how the government see marriage.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,649,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
I'm 21 and my parents are finally getting a divorce after 31 years of marriage. I have a 29 year old brother as well.

My parents could never stand eachother as far as I can remember. I can't recall ever seeing anything good between them besides arguing and bickering. My father has always been a selfish sleaze who would spend thousands on himself without even speaking with my mother. He has only cared for his comfort, his cars and hanging out with his 'amazing' friends (guys in their 50s cheating with women that could be their daughters). He loves money more than anything else but only uses it to benefit himself.

My mother has devoted her life to my brother and I. She's the kind of person who doesn't care about her well-being as long as we are okay. She ran the household and was always very financially responsible. I was happy when she told me the news but surprised as well. I could never believe she would have the strength to leave the guy who happened to be my sperm donor.

How common is divorce after decades of marriage these days? The situation is kind of awkward because I'm not on speaking terms in my father and nobody around will expect them to split up after so many years.

Sorry for venting this but I would just like to hear opinions on what they call 'grey divorce' I think. If you could share any experiences, please do.
You would be surprised how many people spend several decades in unhappy marriages.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:40 AM

208 posts, read 219,563 times
My mother has just filed for divorce after 38 years.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:19 AM

208 posts, read 219,563 times
Some people never learn.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...bought-17.html

Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 840 times
Default Marriage...lost resolve

It's sad to look at my reflection in the mirror and truthfully say to myself , "This marriage is a nightmare...why don't you have the courage to leave?" It's not a secret to our children, we sleep in separate rooms, we at times barely speak, my husband takes off most weekends...it is not a partnership. I'm happier when he is not home, I walk on egg-shells when he is here...yet, why am I angry that he just takes off and does his own thing? Honestly, we are not compatible, I'm a free-spirit and he worries over every aspect in life, especially money. For 29 years, I have known in my sole he is not my other half... I have been lying to myself for so long, I just have become emotionally numb. We both are at fault for this sad marriage... I'm not a slacker, have always ran a successful household, while working a full-time demanding career. There has to be more, my daughters urge me to move on with my life... In my heart I ache, because I am not showing my daughters that I am a strong woman...and I preach to them to be fierce!!! Divorce would for me be the actual beginning of my life, not the end of it, so My question is... Why am I terrified to be happy?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:17 AM

426 posts, read 561,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val58 View Post
It's sad to look at my reflection in the mirror and truthfully say to myself , "This marriage is a nightmare...why don't you have the courage to leave?" It's not a secret to our children, we sleep in separate rooms, we at times barely speak, my husband takes off most weekends...it is not a partnership. I'm happier when he is not home, I walk on egg-shells when he is here...yet, why am I angry that he just takes off and does his own thing? Honestly, we are not compatible, I'm a free-spirit and he worries over every aspect in life, especially money. For 29 years, I have known in my sole he is not my other half... I have been lying to myself for so long, I just have become emotionally numb. We both are at fault for this sad marriage... I'm not a slacker, have always ran a successful household, while working a full-time demanding career. There has to be more, my daughters urge me to move on with my life... In my heart I ache, because I am not showing my daughters that I am a strong woman...and I preach to them to be fierce!!! Divorce would for me be the actual beginning of my life, not the end of it, so My question is... Why am I terrified to be happy?

let me know when u have that question answered... I mean when we get in our 80's nobody around to help us- there we are alone and unhappy. Those kids that we didn't want to "upset" by divorcing are no where to be found. Sometimes my little thought bug whispers in my ear to hell with everyone else why cant I choose to be happy? Probably because we cant let go of the " I don't want my kids to be a divorce statistic"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships