Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,048,838 times

Advertisements

So this is a mini-rant/question.

So one of my biggest dating challenges relates to my looks. So I am in my early/mid 30s. Depending on the day, people perceive me as aged anywhere from 22-27. The 27 is really rare. Average guess is 24. I dress my "age;" I have always leaned towards preppy and a bit conservative (i.e. Michelle Obama and Kate Middleton are my fashion idols).

It would be worse if I didn't meet lots of new people in places where the age skews a little older. Some people are adding years to get to the "25," because they are meeting me in a neighborhood full of 20/30 somethings and not on a college campus. If I were to go somewhere with lots of college students, I'd blend in and not look much like an upperclassman.

So herein lies the problem. I get hit on by the young guys! The 22-25 year olds. They think I am their age! They are then shocked if I reveal my real age. I am mistaken for 24 by people my age, older people and younger people. It can be a little funny when I give people a rundown on my job and I get the incredulous look of "how on earth did this recent grad get this job?" I usually respond with "I am older than I look, not a super overachiever."

And frankly, 25 is just way too young. My ideal age range looks more like 28-40. But I am approached by people who tend to be 22-30. I never meet anyone my age. Or you know 45+. Hmmmm.

So how do the other "youngsters" handle this? It gets more annoying as I get older. (And yes I realize there are perks to looking youthful)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:17 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,635,128 times
I think i look few years younger than my age, and dont mind dating younger women whatsoever, so i guess ive neveer spent much thought on your issue. Dont worry, as soon as you get married and hpop out a couple of kids, youll age 10 years quickly and all will be good in the world.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:17 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,935,230 times
Why rant about something that's a positive? When you're 50, you'll probably look 35-40.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,146,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So this is a mini-rant/question.

So one of my biggest dating challenges relates to my looks. So I am in my early/mid 30s. Depending on the day, people perceive me as aged anywhere from 22-27. The 27 is really rare. Average guess is 24. I dress my "age;" I have always leaned towards preppy and a bit conservative (i.e. Michelle Obama and Kate Middleton are my fashion idols).

It would be worse if I didn't meet lots of new people in places where the age skews a little older. Some people are adding years to get to the "25," because they are meeting me in a neighborhood full of 20/30 somethings and not on a college campus. If I were to go somewhere with lots of college students, I'd blend in and not look much like an upperclassman.

So herein lies the problem. I get hit on by the young guys! The 22-25 year olds. They think I am their age! They are then shocked if I reveal my real age. I am mistaken for 24 by people my age, older people and younger people. It can be a little funny when I give people a rundown on my job and I get the incredulous look of "how on earth did this recent grad get this job?" I usually respond with "I am older than I look, not a super overachiever."

And frankly, 25 is just way too young. My ideal age range looks more like 28-40. But I am approached by people who tend to be 22-30. I never meet anyone my age. Or you know 45+. Hmmmm.

So how do the other "youngsters" handle this? It gets more annoying as I get older. (And yes I realize there are perks to looking youthful)
Maybe try a dating site? You can filter for age on those can't you?

Otherwise...ask if they have an older brother

Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,900,758 times
Give a young guy a chance? Or put a post it note on your forehead stating your age and the age range of guys you are interested in dating

Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 AM

8,761 posts, read 9,514,113 times
Have to agree with the above, it's really not that big of a deal, has happened to me all my life, still chuckle when I've had to let some know, I'm over the hill as compared to them. Could have real issues ya know.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,129,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
why rant about something that's a positive? When you're 50, you'll probably look 35-40.
+1

Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,961,452 times
I say to just roll with it; take it as a compliment. I am 40, am carded frequently, and get asked out by younger men. Is it flattering? Heck yeah

Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,172,666 times
I find myself in a similar situation. I get told a lot that I look significantly younger than my age (I'm 39) and when I do get hit on, a lot of times it's by guys in their early 20s. I feel that, for the most part, I dress my age. I don't go out with the intention of snagging a potential life partner, or even a date, but I just take it as an ego stroke.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,114,134 times
Wow, a woman who is worried she doesn't look old enough?

Well, maybe your not meeting men in the right place. Are there any places you can go, hang out, or participate at that attract a little older crowd? Or maybe try online dating where you can filter by age right away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships