Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,106 times

Advertisements

I have been somewhat active in Meetup groups for a few years (off and on). Like most people, I signed up for a bunch and never went to any. Now I pretty much only go to one, and removed myself from the others.

Although it's not a requirement, the majority of the people in these groups are single. Has anybody met a significant other through going to these? Any bad experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I have been somewhat active in Meetup groups for a few years (off and on). Like most people, I signed up for a bunch and never went to any. Now I pretty much only go to one, and removed myself from the others.

Although it's not a requirement, the majority of the people in these groups are single. Has anybody met a significant other through going to these? Any bad experiences?
What is meetup group ? I haven't heard of it.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
I go under the guise of meeting new people. And then I never go. :P

There is one group that I am in that seems to have the greatest potential for meeting singles. The others not so much. One of my friends did meet a girl friend via one of those board game meetups.

I think it has high odds, at least you already share some sort of interest.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Meetup groups. Interesting. I have only gone to ones associated with foreign languages. True, most of the people are single. A lot of the people are also kind of funky and flaky, as in not who I could see myself having coffee with.

With the language groups, a lot of people are there for the "hey, wow, cool man" factor. I have found that groups of foreign nationals are much better for such a purpose because those people are the "real deal." Oftentimes, with an aging population, those groups fold and it's sad.

I have never considered Meetup for the other purposes. I've seen the slate of interests. Some of them seem weird. Also, by looking at the available photos of a group, you can sort of judge whether or not it's your scene ... and save some time.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:43 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Meetup groups. Interesting. I have only gone to ones associated with foreign languages. True, most of the people are single. A lot of the people are also kind of funky and flaky, as in not who I could see myself having coffee with.

With the language groups, a lot of people are there for the "hey, wow, cool man" factor. I have found that groups of foreign nationals are much better for such a purpose because those people are the "real deal." Oftentimes, with an aging population, those groups fold and it's sad.

I have never considered Meetup for the other purposes. I've seen the slate of interests. Some of them seem weird. Also, by looking at the available photos of a group, you can sort of judge whether or not it's your scene ... and save some time.
Go to a Single Mingle.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
I joined a wonderful creative writing group that is chock full of talent. Not gonna date anyone from it, but I enjoy it immensely. And my writing is improving nicely

Another friend and I tried out a foreign film club - again, not much potential for dates, but could turn out to be fun.

There are actual singles groups on there, so I'm thinking about trying one of those out. Just weeding through the ones that look cool and the ones that look lame at this point though...

I think my problem is that I separate out dating from my everyday life, in addition to working from home (so I don't meet men at work, where many romances start). I am categorically happy with almost every aspect of my life right now. I want a relationship, but I don't do a lot of things where I meet single guys. So I use online dating for my dating life rather than meeting men organically. Meetup seems a better option, but haven't really found a group that fits my interests AND includes lots of single men my age.

Hm. Maybe I should start hitting the car shows more - I love classic muscle cars and tend to get along well with the guys who work on them. I think they like that I can comment relatively intelligently on their hobby. Mostly my hobbies/interests - dogs, books, writing, gardening - do not involve either groups or large amounts of single guys. I DO go to a lot of concerts by myself though, so maybe that's a venue.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Go to a Single Mingle.
Not in the market and not interested, but thanks for the tip.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Not in the market and not interested, but thanks for the tip.
Ok ok, Got it.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Hm. Maybe I should start hitting the car shows more - I love classic muscle cars and tend to get along well with the guys who work on them. I think they like that I can comment relatively intelligently on their hobby. Mostly my hobbies/interests - dogs, books, writing, gardening - do not involve either groups or large amounts of single guys. I DO go to a lot of concerts by myself though, so maybe that's a venue.
I would imagine a cat group wouldn't pull in many single guys, but a dog group ought to. If I still had an Australian Shepherd, I'd probably go to a group where we got together with our dogs.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I would imagine a cat group wouldn't pull in many single guys, but a dog group ought to. If I still had an Australian Shepherd, I'd probably go to a group where we got together with our dogs.
Are you kidding many single guys own a cat. Many apartments don't allow dogs but cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships