Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:33 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,643 times

Advertisements

I don't use it for dating, but I've met tons of awesome people on there....and have done some cool things because of it.

Captain Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:13 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I have been somewhat active in Meetup groups for a few years (off and on). Like most people, I signed up for a bunch and never went to any. Now I pretty much only go to one, and removed myself from the others.

Although it's not a requirement, the majority of the people in these groups are single. Has anybody met a significant other through going to these? Any bad experiences?
I go to a Meetup group for writers. No, I never met any significant other-types, but I'm not a person who attracts men in any setting (except drunks in bars, lol), so I didn't really expect to, although it did occur to me that it would be nice. But I really enjoy the group, and now after more than a year, I'm the person who takes it over when the original organizer can't be there. Even if it doesn't lead to any dating possibilities, it still gives you something to do and the chance to converse with and be around other humans who have a similar interest.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:19 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I have a friend who met his wife at a singles group. They would go out to eat and sometimes go someplace with music and dancing. This guy was very good looking and had had several girl friends but just not THE one. He was 40 something and finally met the girl who was to become his wife.

They have been married around 10 years or more and have 2 kids. It can happen if you are open to meeting others.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:21 AM

578 posts, read 1,092,309 times
My friends daughter starting going to one and met her now husband. Just getting out and meeting people in any forum is what matters.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is a meetup group in Miami, they "screen" you, if you are good looking enough, young enough, they let you in, otherwise, forget it. Hey, it is their group...they can do what they want.

I joined a group, it was not to meet anyone, just for fun, to get me out socializing a bit...we met for dinner once a month.
Are you serious? In a Meetup group? In reading tourist literature, I've heard that the large European cities have trendy clubs where the bouncers are also charged with making this analysis at the door. Do you want to hang out with people like that anyway? Even when I was in college (through age 21.5), people like that didn't interest me in the least. It's not like they're up for interesting conversation. They're up for doing lines of coke or making jackasses of themselves, like Prince Harry.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,344 times
Default Meeting People Outside Of The Group When In A Relationship

I would like to know what people think of this. My girlfriend started a watersports meetup group. Today I found out that she went boating with a married man without his wife or anyone else from the group. This one on one meetup was not posted to the group for all to participate in. I feel that this was dead wrong unethical, selfish and boarders cheating in our relationship. She acts as if it's no big deal. What are others thoughts on this?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:46 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma123 View Post
I would like to know what people think of this. My girlfriend started a watersports meetup group. Today I found out that she went boating with a married man without his wife or anyone else from the group. This one on one meetup was not posted to the group for all to participate in. I feel that this was dead wrong unethical, selfish and boarders cheating in our relationship. She acts as if it's no big deal. What are others thoughts on this?
I believe you have a right to suspect this. It totally sounds suspect.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 AM

30,996 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
My friends daughter starting going to one and met her now husband. Just getting out and meeting people in any forum is what matters.
This^^^^
I have female friend that is always complaining that she can't meet anyone, but never makes the effort to get out. I constantly tell her "if you don't get out you have almost no chance of meeting anyone". There are meet up groups for everything: 'Wine tasting', 'Movies', 'Hiking', 'Biking', 'You name it'. Go for the entertainment and if you meet someone 'Great'.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma123 View Post
This one on one meetup was not posted to the group for all to participate in.
Yeah they "met up" but that's hardly in the spirit of the meetup groups found on Meetup.com.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:11 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I believe you have a right to suspect this. It totally sounds suspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Yeah they "met up" but that's hardly in the spirit of the meetup groups found on Meetup.com.

^ ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships