Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:32 PM

135 posts, read 147,060 times

Advertisements

I have a question for everyone. How do you all deal with loneliness?

To make a long story short I dont have any friends and I dont have any relationship prospects. Anytime I go do an activity that I would normally enjoy, I feel depression because the feeling of not having someone with me. Just some answers and suggestions would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 03:48 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,778,533 times
If you believe that it takes another to make you happy you will never find true happiness and will be lonely all your life...happiness is an inside job, it is derived from within...one can be alone yet not lonely and on the flip side, one can be in the room with 1000 people...not alone, yet lonely...it is a healthy mindset that makes the difference.

Have you considered therapy? Might help.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:52 PM

908 posts, read 1,120,472 times
I find more of a feeling of "alone" than "lonely", personally...but if I get too "alone" I find something constructive to do. That erases the feelings. Sometimes it can take a bit but eventually, they go by.

If you're feeling chronically lonely then there's something else afoot.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:53 PM

Tried therapy last year.....didnt help at all. This is a feeling ive had since I was 17. There are days its worse than others, but recently it's been pretty bad. Sometimes even to the point it has me thinking whats the point of living if im gonna have this empty feeling..

Old 04-21-2012, 04:06 PM

826 posts, read 1,895,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsanders View Post
Tried therapy last year.....didnt help at all. This is a feeling ive had since I was 17. There are days its worse than others, but recently it's been pretty bad. Sometimes even to the point it has me thinking whats the point of living if im gonna have this empty feeling..
Are you into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? It's not as scary as it sounds, and you don't need to see a therapist for it. You can just read about it.
A good book that will help your exact situation is:
Amazon.com: Intimate Connections (9780451148452): David D. Burns: Books.

I have a copy myself and it's helpful in examining and changing the thoughts that are preventing you from getting close to others. I'd bet you have low self esteem or an inferiority complex. When you think badly about yourself, others can sense it. It also comes out in how you treat yourself and who wants to be friends with someone who doesn't think they're great?

Another thing you should note is that everyone feels lonely at some point. Sometimes it's just something you need to ride out. Other times, it is a motivating force to go out and connect with people. However, if this is a perennial issue for you, then there's probably something deeper.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,570,269 times
Quote:
I have a question for everyone. How do you all deal with loneliness?

To make a long story short I dont have any friends and I dont have any relationship prospects. Anytime I go do an activity that I would normally enjoy, I feel depression because the feeling of not having someone with me. Just some answers and suggestions would be helpful.
How old are you? Have you considered joining a singles group? You may or may not meet someone at one but even if you don't you'll be with other people who are unattached so it won't feel so odd. We have singles groups around her that participate in all kinds of activities.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Its to the point where Im not good enough for anyone friendship wise or anything else. people my age are too busy building up rosters and arent serious. While older people feel im too young for anything thing, so its like damned if I do damned if I dont. And yes at this point after about 8 years of it, its probably much deeper.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
How old are you? Have you considered joining a singles group? You may or may not meet someone at one but even if you don't you'll be with other people who are unattached so it won't feel so odd. We have singles groups around her that participate in all kinds of activities.
Im 24, and I live in the DC area. I participate in meetup activities, and while it would usually be a fine way to meet people..........im deemed as too young. I could be having the best convo with someone, then they ask how old I am, I tell them, then they loose interest.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:24 PM

826 posts, read 1,895,214 times
Quote:
Its to the point where Im not good enough for anyone friendship wise or anything else. people my age are too busy building up rosters and arent serious. While older people feel im too young for anything thing, so its like damned if I do damned if I dont. And yes at this point after about 8 years of it, its probably much deeper.
I think you may be depressed.
I lived in the DC area before I moved to Indiana and that place can be so stressful, competitive and hard to find your "tribe" but the funny thing is that when I moved here, I actually started missing it.

You need to stop thinking that you are not good enough for anyone's friendship or love. This is one of the things CBT tries to fix. How do you define "good enough for someone else's love"? What do you have to have/do to be worthy of someone else's love?

I bet if you really examined your answers, you'd find that they are unrealistic. Even serial killers find love, why not you?

The person that will love you, or want to be your friend, will not be hung up on the things you don't have. You are worthy, end of story.

I think you should work on your self esteem before joining groups to find friendships/love. You don't want to go to groups desperate for such because others would sense it. Also, a rejection might feel a lot more acute to you, than if you had a solid grounding of self love.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:25 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,255,141 times
Have you discussed Depression with a Doctor ? Sounds like you might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships